Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Television Broadcast Gear

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

50's RCA Telecine

How many Western Movies did this one play ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TK11-31, CCU 007.jpg (59.0 KB, 95 views)
Old 05-20-2010, 02:57 AM
VideoKarma Member

I can only presume that it was on this machine (or the model thereof) that the first screening (via 16mm print, natch') of the now classic Western High Noon on the Jan. 5, 1958 edition of Movie 4 on New York's WRCA-TV (now WNBC) was played, just as one example. (The first edition of this poor man's Late Show to clobber rival CBS's What's My Line? in the ratings in the Big Apple.)
Old 05-20-2010, 08:09 AM
VideoKarma Member

There is rumored to be a cache of telecine gear here in Lancaster-B&W and Color gear from the late 50s-late 60s. But the guy who has it thinks it will be worth a goldmine.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:21 AM
VideoKarma Member

dont they all ???

the question who is going to pay a "goldmine" price for it?

Not you or me,

Collectors like me send themselves broke just aquiring, transporting, shipping, storing this gear, making sure it lives on

Museums rarely actually give a S*** about the equipment as they are only trying to make money...and rarely do musuems with tv equipment draw crowds and usually close down due to costs to run.

So, who will pay goldmine prices?

sadly usually nobody does, and the time comes for the items to move on and the owner wont part with them as they are "valuable"..and they end up on the scrap heap....

I have seen it happen - oh so much...

Its priceless to you or me, but to 99% of people it has no meaning.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have noticed this dilema. It is a shame that there are many people with such greed and selfishness. It reminds me of the auto industry's practice of destroying parts rather than sell them at a fair price.
Has the TV industry been destroying left over old models and parts instead of selling them at lower prices?
Audiokarma
Old 05-21-2010, 08:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

sony did (and maybe still has) a trade in policy with its old broadcast equipment.

The old equipment that was traded in was crushed, since sony didnt want the market flooded with secondhand equipment which slowed the take up of their newer models
Old 05-24-2010, 01:03 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by austvarchive View Post
sony did (and maybe still has) a trade in policy with its old broadcast equipment.

The old equipment that was traded in was crushed, since sony didnt want the market flooded with secondhand equipment which slowed the take up of their newer models
Intriguing.
Reminds me of what Gottlieb was said to do with previous year's pinball machines (trash them) in the 1950's which they called "gauged production" (ensuring route operators would buy new product.(upsetting modern day pinball collectors ).

Heard from an insider that Sony quietly destroyed all stocks of expensive new DASH-format pro digital audio multitrack recorders after protracted losses and incompatibility (of tapes)with emerging Mitsubitshi 32-track machine ! Left me a bit stunned.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:45 AM
VideoKarma Member

They do this with Broadcast Cameras to when they have there trade in !
Old 08-25-2010, 08:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

I think this projector in the picture is a TP-6.

I ran a pair of these until 1981 at an independent TV station. For the most part, they ran pretty well. Once in awhile, they would eat the films. I know. I had to fix the films!

I have the two projectors that replaced our TP-6's... A pair of RCA TP-66's.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

In the 70's, RCA was great for taking cameras back and selling them again to lower level stations. Shortly after we went on the air in 1965, our CBS station bought a hand-me-down TK-41 from the Jack Paar show to go color for the news. It was traded in for a TK-42 in 1969 and the '41 went to a station in Argentina.

Whatta' dog that '42 was.

RCA was so proud of us that they featured our station in the company RCA Broadcast News mag around our on-air date. In the photos you can see some proudly displayed 2" machines and if you look close, you can see a GE Porta Color being used as a VTR color monitor. The station engineers jeeped it up to take video to save money.

And if anyone has a copy of that article on WCEE-TV, I want it. Now! One of the engineers in the photos is still one of my best friends.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
RCA Broadcast News mag around our on-air date. In the photos you can see some proudly displayed 2" machines~~ And if anyone has a copy of that article on WCEE-TV,.
I liked reading these at lunchtime--I think I know where issues may be found today. Article is 1969?