Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:43 AM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 12-05-2021 at 08:01 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

I've tried everything, without luck. I'm waiting for the moment when the owner gives me permission to junk hunk of garbage and then I'll have to come up with a fitting way to "end of the line" it! I can honestly say that these are my most hated TV out of any that I've worked on!
Old 06-11-2013, 06:31 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

^ Oh man, I hope to see a video of this.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:52 PM
M is for Memory

If you know any one with one of those gigantic catapults that goes to those pumpkin throwing competitions then convincing them to use it to throw that set half a mile might be a fun way to end it.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 06-11-2013, 08:39 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
If you know any one with one of those gigantic catapults that goes to those pumpkin throwing competitions then convincing them to use it to throw that set half a mile might be a fun way to end it.
Trebouchet !!! (grin)
Old 06-12-2013, 01:25 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Trebouchet !!! (grin)
Kazuentheit!

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 06-12-2013, 06:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 12-05-2021 at 08:00 PM.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

I hate those machines. Back when I was willing to work on these, I usually would clean the mode switch, and if there was anything still wrong I would just use zip ties to lock the mechanism in the stop-eject position and hope the TV would still work. And those end sensors are a royal PITA!! I have had to work on the machines almost in the dark to keep stray light from tripping the sensors.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:29 AM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

On those later ones that the deck ribbon cable was soldered to the main board, I could still separate the board from the deck enough to slip in a new take-up clutch and mode switch. The earlier ones with the sensor LED that would fail, man I must have fixed hundreds of those. And the bad clutches that would leave tape hanging out upon eject. Good stuff!

The TV section seemed pretty reliable though. I recall a lot came in with the picture vertically stretched and had to use a modified remote to access the adjustments.

Last edited by Ed in Tx; 06-13-2013 at 09:32 AM.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:16 AM
VideoKarma Member

Just remembered! The LED down under the prism opens and shuts the set down also. Remove the prism and use a cell phone camera to look at the LED. It can see the infrared. If the diode is dim or out, use one from an old remote.
Cell phone cameras work to test remotes also!
If all the info here now doesn't repair it, tell it "If you don't work on the bench, work on the floor! Pitch it to the floor!!
Audiokarma
Old 06-14-2013, 06:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith26kc20 View Post
If all the info here now doesn't repair it, tell it "If you don't work on the bench, work on the floor! Pitch it to the floor!!
And if you need some inspiration along those lines, watch this video -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAYL5H46QnQ
Old 06-15-2013, 02:54 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Magnapop!

Best junk TV destruction video I have see thus far:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vv7MMkrTJOw

Saw it in the related videos section while checking out a Magnavox Touch-Tune TV video. The action starts at 0:29.

Last edited by Jon A.; 06-15-2013 at 03:04 AM.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:00 AM
VideoKarma Member

Well, it's now mine. I'm going to salvage any parts off the chassis that I may have a need for down the road and the rest will meet it's end.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:33 AM
VideoKarma Member

Check out this video, along with other creative videos, where he EOL's BPC TV's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8B8K9kE5Q0

It's unfortunate that perfectly working TV's have to meet this fate; but, I was talking to him once about this and he told me that in LA, NOBODY wants CRT TV's and that on any given day, he can take a 20 minute drive and come home with several CRT TV's; so, might as well have some fun with them. He found it hard to believe that I was able to sell any CRT TV in my part of the country; but, I now think the "LA effect" has made it's way to the deep south.

Currently, I have a 2003 19" Orion that someone gave me and I repaired it by replacing the main filter cap (out of a junk chassis, of course) and rejuvenating it's weak CRT (it was still watchable; but, I wanted it to look it's best). I've been trying to sell it with zero interest; so, if it doesn't go away pretty quick, I may be having some fun with it (along with the '93 RCA console and two 13" TV's that no one seems to want). Today, my criteria for fixing used BPC/SPC TV's is that the TV has to be free and it has to be something that I can fix in 20 minutes, or less, out of my junk stash. The only ones I might spend a little money on are Sony's and TV's with built-in DTV tuners.

Concerning EOL, I have a 19" Funai/Emerson LCD with a broken panel that I'm going to destroy and post the video to youtube. I haven't got all the small details worked out yet; but, it should be interesting. Since I have a lot of neighbors close to me, I'm sort of limited on how creative I can get without getting too much attention.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vv7MMkrTJOw

He's lucky the implosion blew out the torch, or that tarp would have caught fire when the torch fell over
Audiokarma