Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-28-2015, 12:58 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telecolor 3007 View Post
it's an early disc! Because on it is an promo for "Indiana Jones: Temple of Doom" that was to be realesed in summer of 1984. So it's an 1983-1984 disc.
Yes, that disc is from 1983. It was the first Laser Disc that had any type of preview/advertisement before the main movie. It may seem surprising now, but at that time (the early 1980s), the idea of buying a home video program but getting advertisements/previews on it was considered to be bad behavior from the video company, by many people.

"Raiders Of The Lost Ark" was also an important home-video release, because its retail price in the USA for the VHS or Beta versions was $30, the lowest-ever price for any video tape movie. Before this movie, most VHS and Beta movies cost US$80-100, partly because most of them were rented and the movie companies knew the rental stores would receive plenty of rental fees from each tape. "Raiders" was one of the first movie tapes that a studio wanted people to buy rather than rent.

The extra-low price also helped fewer people to complain about the advertisement/preview that was included. The Laser Disc version was also US$30, compared to US$35-40 for most other disc movies at that time.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 02-28-2015, 04:16 AM
I love old stuff

@ Electronic_M : no, not like those. It's an R.F. problem.
I didn't know that some L.D.'s had that stupid "Macrovoision" protection! I thought that all where free of that. But if you knew how to pimp the machines, you could make copies.
Luckly I got that Pink Floyd disc cheap for a Romanian. If to compare prices and incomes in Romania, 35 lei would be around 30 dollars. I've payed for 3 disc as much as I payed for my machine.

@ ChrisW6ATV : what a stupidty. But, sometimes, you hate the promos, but after yeras you want to see them. Uh, how I wish that my 1983 disc had some promos on it. But, in stead I have horizontal strip. Like an bad V.H.S. But my disc is P.A.L. (don't have an N.T.S.C. machine yet).
80-100 dollars per a recorded tape! Gush, who could afford that?! And I thought that in Ceauşescu's Romania videcassettes where expensive. No wonder that LaserDiscs where cheaper at the begining (whish that the trend would last... so more people had players, so more discs where realesed; I hate the fact that there are no Euro-Dance discs - maybe you can find some Euro-Dance songs on a saved "Pioneer" jukebox disc; oh, that's an N.T.S.C. disc with Ace of Bace and hope I'll get one day).

Hope one day I'll get me A.B.B.A. discs. One of my dreams of falling inlove is to watch with a girl A.B.B.A. on L.D.

Curiosity: why "P.D.O." U.K. when started to manufacture disc with digital sound, made them golden?; "Pioneer" still had them silver or golden with silver color tone.
Old 02-28-2015, 11:29 AM
M is for Memory

Ace of Bace, Huh? I have a single sided disc (the other side is white, which is rare and why I got it) that is titled something like the best music videos of 1994....That disc has Ace of Bace's The Sign on it, among many other songs I equally dislike, and a scant few that I sort of like (I never got sold on any music of my generation). It cost me something like 0.50$-0.99$ at a Alabama thrift store I stopped at while passing thru the state.

There was also a 13" Zenith CCII set there that I passed up because it was not a tube set, which I now know is very rare and desirable....

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 02-28-2015, 01:38 PM
I love old stuff

http://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/14729/...deo-%281994%29
Old 03-03-2015, 02:29 PM
I love old stuff

Does any one have the conent of this magazine? http://cultureandcommunication.org/d...serdiscmag.jpg

http://www.mindspring.com/~laserguru/popsci.htm

http://www.mindspring.com/~laserguru/digitalage.html

http://www.mindspring.com/~laserdisc...r/prologue.htm

http://www.cedmagic.com/
Audiokarma
Old 03-03-2015, 06:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 11-20-2021 at 03:39 PM.
Old 04-05-2015, 06:09 AM
I love old stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOPQjFmMLMg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyMABJQsstc
Old 07-07-2015, 09:09 AM
I love old stuff

Got me yesterday an N.T.S.C. player. An July 1991 Made "Panasonic" LX-101. Cleaned the lens and now reads the disc fine (some disks ... it just didn't want to read). But still it dosen't reads some C.D.'s (my P.A.L. player haves problems with 1 or 2 C.D.'s). In the future, I'll get more discs from the person from which I bought the machine (I bought 2 discsc from him in the past - trhough all that I didn't have an N.T.S.C. player).
Old 07-09-2015, 01:24 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

Nice to hear that you got it working. I just watched my "Genesis - The Mama Tour" Laser Disc a week ago or so.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 07-09-2015, 05:15 AM
I love old stuff

Unfourtenley, I have only 2 music L.D.'s : "Pink Floyd: Live at Pompeii" and "Miles Davis: Miles in Paris". I wish me A.B.B.A. discs and that 1994 one with Ace of Bace. And also some of the rarley extrem discs (talking about the "3M" ones): http://www.lddb.com/search.php?search=et&sort=title,asc
And this (not with music): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptW0-87C6as
Audiokarma
Old 07-17-2015, 03:06 PM
I love old stuff

Got me 4 more N.T.S.C. titles. One is double - the C.A.V. version of "All Dogs go to Heaven", so in total there 5 are discs.
Old 07-17-2015, 08:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Location: Valley of the Sun, formerly Silicon Valley, formerly Packer Land.
I purchased the first top loading Pioneer player, the VP-1000 as soon as it was released for sale in 1980. Later purchased one of Pioneers first front loading machines can't remember the model. Retired them when the first DVD players became available. Still have them in storage and they both worked fine when I retried them. I collected all the space image archived disks, movies, Japanese import disks and the 8 inch disks which were mostly music disks.

The LaserDisk elevated the state of the art video/audio for the home consumer at the time.
Old 07-18-2015, 03:58 AM
I love old stuff

But do you still play 'em from time to time? I think the player was very expensive for it's time.
B.t.w., the perfect combination would have had been a L.D. player working with C.E.D.'s. Laser reading sistem, so no fricition, and inexensive durable discs.
Old 07-18-2015, 12:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

Location: Valley of the Sun, formerly Silicon Valley, formerly Packer Land.
No, I don't use my LaserDisk players anymore. Could not bare to part with them though. I see my collection of disks everyday on display. I should take the players out of storage and see if they still work.

IMHO, the RCA system was dead in the water even before it hit the ground. We all were watching the progress of the contactless laser optical system that Philips and Sony were developing. Who would want to buy an old fashion 100 year old stylus in a groove technology? That is what I was thinking at the time.
Old 07-18-2015, 01:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etype2 View Post
IMHO, the RCA system was dead in the water even before it hit the ground. We all were watching the progress of the contactless laser optical system that Philips and Sony were developing. Who would want to buy an old fashion 100 year old stylus in a groove technology? That is what I was thinking at the time.
I think the VCR killed the RCA system. Why buy CED when $100 more would get you a machine you could also record on?

If CED had come out a few years earlier, it probably would of had a few years of success.
Audiokarma