Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-09-2012, 09:49 AM
On Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by snelson903 View Post
yeah it looks like its orginal, dam i was really hoping for a rebuild one.
Why? A rebuilt tube does not necessarily mean it will be a good tube. I used to get excited if I found a tube had been already replaced (rebuild or not) and then end up disappointed that the replacement was no good.

Two years ago, I brought home an 63 Zenith and a 66 CM in the same day. I saw the CRT in the Zenith had been replaced... i think with a late-70's Sylvania tube... it was dead. The Curtis Mathes (which has the instant on feature) had the original tube and tested just fine.

Side note- I've brought home Sylvania round tubes on 3 different occasions... all had 1970's date codes... and they were all no good.

I think the big advantage on CRTs that have been replaced is the situation where the replacement was a better tube (regarding design) than the original. For instance, the 21CYP22 in my CTC9 was replaced with a 21FBP22. The FBP should have better brightness and reds than the CYP.

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:03 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snelson903 View Post
yeah it looks like its orginal, dam i was really hoping for a rebuild one ,i removed the strap mounting and wiped some dirt off and it still has the lens on it. i took somemore pic's close up. pizza was good and had me a little nap after to.
That looks like a Zenith branded RCA tube! See if the EIA code is 274 on the labeling. I see the Hi-Lite sticker on it which was the RCA trade name at the time.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:12 AM
VideoKarma Member

At any rate, the face of the tube looks great. I bet it will wake up if you allow the tube to cook for awhile.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:24 AM
On Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty59 View Post
That looks like a Zenith branded RCA tube! See if the EIA code is 274 on the labeling. I see the Hi-Lite sticker on it which was the RCA trade name at the time.
Good catch on the Hi-Lite sticker, Marty!

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:15 AM
VideoKarma Member

yea it checks out ok except the blue gun is weak and compared it between the sencore tester and the b & k the sencore showed alittle stronger but we will see i guess i should remove the lens & pva stuff while its out .knowing my luck once its all together and useing it a caterack will start to show . ill just brake out the sludge hammer and a couple of chissels and pop that lens right off.

Last edited by snelson903; 06-09-2012 at 11:21 AM.
Audiokarma
Old 06-09-2012, 11:36 AM
VideoKarma Member

probley because i used to get reman picture tubes from a guy that had a tv parts store nere by me, and they never gave me a bit of trouble sometimes i think they were better than new one's i dont know were he got them from but they were priced good and i never had to replace them again .he also was the only suppler for bendix lazer equitment these tubes they used were big and pricy the place was called tv electronic's and there wasnt nothing he couldnt find you.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:25 PM
First Light: 1952-2011

Strange, the Hi-Lite label says it's an FBP which should have a removable lens and gasket, yet the lens on this one is glued on???
Old 06-09-2012, 02:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

Then leave it alone!!! I wondered if it was an FBP when I saw how reflective the safety glass was on it! Thats why I questioned the CRT lineage.
Old 06-09-2012, 03:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

tell me more if it doesnt have the pva on it and it wouldnt get cateracs ill leave it ,i was going to give it a good bath before i do anything to it anyway . plus i probley got a week playing with the cabnet, i think i might have to replace the other panels to. does anyone know if this model ever came as a blonde ,i like to know now because if replace the top and sides panels i can go with any finish.
Old 06-09-2012, 03:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'd wipe down the bell of the tube with a damp rag. Dont take a chance getting water between the safety glass and the CRT. The rubber gasket may be stuck from all the years of togetherness. I'd be really careful doing things here. GOOD LUCK!!
Audiokarma
Old 06-09-2012, 04:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

if you have any valueble info or suggestions feel free to give me input , i used to work on lots of different kinds of tv's when i was a kid playing around, and made side money fixing freinds tv's over 15-20yrs ago and stopped ,thats the limit i know about tv's. i would work on alot of other type's of electrical things like motors extra. and all modern automotive electronic things theres no end to that. but some of you guys here know thing's about these tv i dont , you can say im a new old collector iv got some catching up to do .so dont watch me do something and assume i know all about it, feel free to give me your input or if you know a nice short cut im open,i have always liked working on tv's esply. the ones with tubes and there is a wealth of info here .
Old 06-09-2012, 05:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

Nice Pics of Zenith Roundie

Back to the roundie for a moment...

If the CRT is a Zenith, why is there another small sticker on the bell of the tube that says "Hi-Lite" with the CRT type. I thought Hi-Lite was RCA's brand for new CRT's and Colorama was the RCA brand for rebuilt tubes.

Did Zenith buy CRT's from RCA?

Nice JD dozer, BTW...
Old 06-09-2012, 05:53 PM
Banned

???

Come on guys, this set is a total POS. Show some self respect by putting your time into something more worth while like a set that is cosmetically sound that only needs ELECTRONIC repairs. The set will never be what it was again and whatever you do to restore it, it will still have a rusty crappy chassis that had mice in it and a moldy cabinet that was pissed in.

Roundies are still out there, its not like you found the only one thats left and its not a CT-100 or some other rare one of a kind set. Keep the CRT, scrap the rest. Lets get real folks.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

just got back from lowes with nice peace of 3/4 plywood ,since my truck is laid up with a broken spring i thought it would save a few bucks and buy a precut insted of a full sheet plywood ,wrong it was 18.00 for a peace that 2'x4' i remember when that was called scrap cut off.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

I think he's more about enjoying what he is doing and there is NOT anything wrong with that, If he chooses to restore something that may not be worth anything to you, so be it.. Nothings worse then me picking up sets with my bad luck with bad crts, and on top of that, buying replacement from another collector which happened to arrive damaged, and this happened twice in a row, I spent over $400 so far on a Zenith roundie, which I'm still hoping I will get my money from the claim I submitted with Grey Hound.. I'm about ready to toss it, and now I know better to make sure the CRT is good in anything else I find or don't touch it with a 10ft pole..
Audiokarma