Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-24-2004, 02:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

Oooooh Sci-Fi!
Any Color Sci-Fi would be great on a Roundie. I've been waiting for Forbidden Planet to air, The last time it did it was the Letter Box version. I wonder if it's available in full screen? Last month I watched "Fantastic Voyage" on the Roundie, Very nice. Of course the B/W Sci-Fi's like Twilight Zone, Outer Limits, etc look great on my 1950 Zenith "Porthole" and the Predicta's before I sold them all.
Jim
Old 03-24-2004, 05:29 PM
On Land

Well if we are going to talk Sci-Fi... gotta include the original series of Star Trek! It would be the "logical" thing to do.

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Old 03-24-2004, 07:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

Please Don't Eat The Dasies

Sandy G, I used to love Please Don't Eat the Dasies when I was a kid. I found a copy of the show taken off a 16mm print a few years back, so I just digitized the opening. This should bring back some memories...

(This windows media file is about 1.5mb)

http://68.89.57.239/VID/TEMP/PDED.wmv
Old 03-25-2004, 01:44 AM
Administrator

WOTW

Has anyone mentioned the 1953 version of "The War Of The Worlds"
Old 03-25-2004, 01:48 AM
Administrator

Don Knotts

Ooh, I just thought of a good one!

The 1968 Don Knotts film "The Love God"

An excellent camp classic and VERY colorful! The DVD is pristine looking, this picture I found doesn't do it justice.
Audiokarma
Old 03-25-2004, 02:45 AM
On Land

Jim

Forbidden Planet... in Eastman Color... is available on DVD. It's a two sided DVD, with both widescreen and fullscreen.

Last edited by Charlie; 03-25-2004 at 02:52 AM.
Old 03-25-2004, 02:48 AM
On Land

The Munsters Movie "Munster Go Home". This movie was shortly after the series ended. They went to England, and Herman was in a local car race.

Old 03-25-2004, 07:43 AM
VideoKarma Member

Those are great looking screen shots Charlie. Forbidden Planet looks great on the roundie, I'll have to buy the DVD now. I remember seeing that "Munsters" movie airing last month but didn't think to record it.

Eric,
I've never seen that Don Knotts movie but I'll watch for it now. The screenshot kinda reminds me of a Dick Van Dyke movie released around that time, He was stranded on an Island with acres of beautiful women, Poor guy. Anyone remember the name of that movie?
Jim
Old 03-25-2004, 08:59 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Don't remember that one, but another Don Knotts movie that was released around that time period -I'm sure about all of us have seen it-is "The Ghost & Mr Chicken".-Sandy G.
Old 03-25-2004, 10:55 AM
heathkit tv

Quote:
Originally posted by classicradios
Eric,
I've never seen that Don Knotts movie but I'll watch for it now. The screenshot kinda reminds me of a Dick Van Dyke movie released around that time, He was stranded on an Island with acres of beautiful women, Poor guy. Anyone remember the name of that movie?
Jim
That was Lt. Robin Crusoe, U.S.N.

How about Hello Down There ?

Hey little gold fish.....gonna havea what of a time! Sheesh!

Anthony
Audiokarma
Old 03-25-2004, 12:25 PM
On Land

Quote:
Originally posted by Sandy G
Don't remember that one, but another Don Knotts movie that was released around that time period -I'm sure about all of us have seen it-is "The Ghost & Mr Chicken".-Sandy G.
I rented The Ghost & Mr Chicken a while back... Don Knotts is the best. His facial expressions really crack me up.

Here is an "updated" version of the theme song for that movie... i thought it was pretty snazzy sounding. If windows doesn't automatically play it for you, open the url with your media player...

http://www.members.aol.com/oceanskim...ostchicken.mp3

Old 03-25-2004, 02:06 PM
jasonlava

What about the NASA moon landing in 1969?

Isn't that on DVD?

Would be great to find a roundie and have it going before the 35th anniv. of the moon landing and watch it on a cool 60s TV.
Old 03-25-2004, 02:09 PM
jasonlava

Re: Please Don't Eat The Dasies

Quote:
Originally posted by Unimatic1140
Sandy G, I used to love Please Don't Eat the Dasies when I was a kid. I found a copy of the show taken off a 16mm print a few years back, so I just digitized the opening. This should bring back some memories...

(This windows media file is about 1.5mb)

http://68.89.57.239/VID/TEMP/PDED.wmv
That is just too darn cute! Looks like a precursor to the Brady Bunch even though it's not a Sherwood Shwartz production. So did you digitize it and burn it to DVD so you can show it on your roundies?
Old 03-25-2004, 03:07 PM
heathkit tv

Quote:
Originally posted by jasonlava
What about the NASA moon landing in 1969?

Isn't that on DVD?

Would be great to find a roundie and have it going before the 35th anniv. of the moon landing and watch it on a cool 60s TV.
You actually believe we landed on the moon? Tooth fairy been by recently to see ya too? I have some bridges for sale that you might be interested in.

Just chopping your busts. I was in summer camp way back when and we were all watching this on pins and needles for what seemed like forever after them touching down---didn't Armstrong place his foot on the surface around 10pm eastern?

Damn I'm gettin old. Explains the dust when I phart.

Anthony

Last edited by heathkit tv; 03-25-2004 at 03:10 PM.
Old 03-25-2004, 10:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

First moon walk was in B&W

The first moon walk (Apollo 11) was televised in B&W. Using a rather low res TV camera. Given the bandwidth and the signal to noise ratio of getting that signal from the moon to us on earth, and power limitations, it wasn't that bad. In a "history of broadcasting" book I had, they mention that the lighting and whatnot was awful. But I doubt that the astronauts had much time in their schedule pre-flight to get taught how to do TV camera shooting. Just don't aim it at the Sun. The guys on Apollo 12 burned out their camera that way, and the lack of TV images for that mission probably killed public interest in it.

We didn't have a color TV just yet back then.

The scan rate of that video from the moon was something like 24 frames/sec and a few hundred lines. And that NASA used one scan converter for NTSC, and another for PAL/SECAM countries. PAL and SECAM without color are the same. These converters were literally just a monitor with a camera focused on it. Then the NTSC and PAL/SECAM video signals were distributed round the world. Everyone except in China got to see it live. Someone I know now says he listened to Voice of America with headphones to hear it live. And then told nobody about it, things were really nuts there then.
Audiokarma