Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Television Broadcast Gear

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

I may be getting a TV audio console

A friend, who's an engineer at an out of town TV station, got in touch with me to see if I wanted a 24 channel audio console that was removed from the production room at his TV station. The only information he sent in the message is that it's a late '70 ADM S/TV-24 console that's about 4' long and weighs over 100 lbs. He said it was working when removed; but, if someone does not claim it soon, it will go to the trash. I asked what they would sell it to me for and he said they would give it to me.

I'm unable to drive; but, I have a friend who I'm sure will take me to get it if I put gas in his truck. My engineer friend said he would let them know that he had someone who wanted it; so, maybe, they won't be so quick to dump it.

My friend also has some smaller switchers and other msic. stuff that he said I could have. So, let's hope this works out.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

I picked it up today. It's a ADM 24 channel stereo board and it's a monster. It's about five ft. long and feels like it weighs at least 200 lbs. The engineer said it was working when taken out of service about six months ago. One of the other station employees came outside and took a picture of it after we loaded it on the truck. He said he'd spent many hours on that board and wanted to get one last picture of it before it left.

My engineer friend took me to his house to see if I wanted some equipment that he'd picked up from various stations; but, the only thing I picked up was a '60's Electro variable DC power supply. He had a couple of smaller video switchers, some U-matic videotape machines, and some type of analyzer that looked like an old oscilloscope. One of the U-matic machines was a top loader Panasonic and the other two were front load Sony's. I could have gotten them for free; but, the truck was already full and I figured I'd better not push my luck here at home, as far as bringing more stuff home.

Actually, this monster board is a little overkill for my part 15 AM station. I'm hoping that I can one day trade it for something more suitable to my needs. I've always wanted an old tube mono broadcast console; but, they always seem to be expensive. Maybe some day, I'll run up on someone who has one who would be willing to trade it for this board. I'd also like to find two 16" turntables; but, there again, they are usually expensive and all the local sources where I could have gotten some cheap have tossed them years ago. There again, this board may end up being some good trade material. First, I am going to play around and have some fun with it.

I did see a '70's/'80's era cart playback machine in the storage room and I asked my engineer friend about it; but, he said that he was not authorized to get rid of it.

Just curious; but, I wonder what this beast cost when it was new? The new estimate of date of installation seems to be from the early '90's. Oh, and I did get the stand and power supply for the board.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:04 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Wow...Ya done GREAT...
Old 05-15-2013, 11:36 PM
M is for Memory

You could probably start a music recording studio with one of those and a decent recorder for mastering.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 05-16-2013, 03:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotvnut View Post
Just curious; but, I wonder what this beast cost when it was new? The new estimate of date of installation seems to be from the early '90's. Oh, and I did get the stand and power supply for the board.
I don't have knowledge of that specific board, but similar sized boards are in the $10K to $20K region. Check out a few listings here:
http://www.bswusa.com/Broadcast-Consoles--C12.aspx

Not affiliated,
jr
Audiokarma