Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:48 AM
Bob Galanter

Helium leak detection DEMO at ETF

For those of you that are sitting on the edge and debating whether or not to attend this year's convention at the Early Television Foundation in Hilliard Ohio, I though I would wet your whistle with a note about the demosnstration that John Folsom and I will be doing.

About a year ago John and I acquired a very sophisticated piece of gear known as a Helium mass spectrometer leak detector. She's an oldie but a goodie. About mid 1970's vintage. It has been our intention to use it to locate the leaks in 15GP22 and 21AXP22 crt's so that we might possibly be able to fix the leaks and re-build the tubes.

Typically these machines sell for anywhere from $5000 to $15,000 on the used market. We got lucky and found this one in Singapore for very little money. It's very heavy and cost quite a bit to have it air freighted to the US.

After getting it here, it took a lot to get it opperational. It had been badly neglected for many years. It was also a 220volt machine and we decided to convert it to 120volts. I have been working on it off and on since it arrived, with the hopes that John and I would be able to do a demo at the convention. I was finally successful in getting the machine fully opperational yesterday and it is now working like a champ.

So if you want to see a very interesting piece of scientific equipment in opperation in a real world practical setting, BE SURE TO ATTEND THIS YEAR'S ETF CONVENTION.

From the headquarters of the 15GP22 Rebuilder's Guild this is Bob and John saying

See ya at the convention! Be there or Be Square!

New Web Site under developement
ME http://AntiqueTvGuy.com
Old 04-14-2011, 12:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

An amazing breakthrough that should be a quantum advance in the progress on early color tube leak investigation/sealing techniques/restoration . (being myself the possessor of a number of problematic early RCA color kine's)
Old 04-14-2011, 01:20 PM
First Light: 1952-2011

Good news, maybe my pre-A 21AXP22 can be fixed one day!
Old 04-20-2011, 04:01 AM
VideoKarma Member

This is going to be a great event for sure!!!
Old 04-20-2011, 08:28 AM
See yourself on Color TV!

Bob and John, this is great!

As a reminder, I'm donating a couple of dud 21AX's that can be guinea pigs if that is useful at some point. The 21AX of mine you have and are bringing to Hilliard was a Scotty rebuild attempt and goes to air over a period of days. The other one I'm bringing is gassy (blue glow at max test voltage, cathodes shot), but not enough to burn out the filaments, and may have got that way over a period of decades.

See you at ETF!
Audiokarma
Old 04-20-2011, 06:52 PM
Bob Galanter

Wayne,

Your 21ax is already on my list of stuff to bring along. If you would like to test them at the convention, I will also have my Hot Wire tool so we can remove the gun assembly and connect the leak detecttor to the tube. We have a special adapter that connects to the 52mm neck glass and seals with an "O" ring. But the gun must be removed in order to connect up.

See you at the convention.

New Web Site under developement
ME http://AntiqueTvGuy.com
Old 04-20-2011, 07:51 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohohyodafarted View Post
Wayne,

Your 21ax is already on my list of stuff to bring along. If you would like to test them at the convention, I will also have my Hot Wire tool so we can remove the gun assembly and connect the leak detecttor to the tube. We have a special adapter that connects to the 52mm neck glass and seals with an "O" ring. But the gun must be removed in order to connect up.

See you at the convention.
I'd love to test them. Would wait if there's a reason that would be helpful to the project, but if it makes no difference, let's do it.

This is getting better all the time!