Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > International Vintage Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-28-2014, 04:55 AM
VideoKarma Member

Australian Kriesler TVs

These are a couple of Kriesler TVs I've revived. This was an indigenous Australian brand which disappeared in the 70s, but before then produced many fine quality radios from the 30s and TVs from 1956 when broadcasting began in Australia.

The first is a 79-2 from 1959, and probably one of the first in Adelaide as broadcasts didn't start until that year. Still has no sound, and I can't get any sort of picture to it because the channel frequencies changed in about 1960, and they don't correspond with the later frequencies, or the output RF from a video, so it's sitting...waiting. Any hints? A modulator with adjustable output may work, but does such a beast exist?!

The second is a model 79-16 from 1964 and responded well after a re-cap and a couple of resistors of the wrong rating being replaced. It has a Panasonic video driving it, and I can plug in a set top box or DVD player. Bit of a buzz with the sound, but the tuner frequencies match the RF output of the video.

There are still many of these around in Australia, and I also have a huge console 3-in-1 with a 25" TV, valve stereo and record player tucked away in the dry. Too big for the house, but no interest shown in others when offered for sale.

Hope you enjoy them - I do!

Cheers from South Australia.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kriesler 1.jpg (127.0 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg Kriesler 79-16.jpg (77.9 KB, 109 views)
Old 05-28-2014, 07:23 AM
VideoKarma Member

If only the frequencies changed then you should be able to
either change the tuner or use a "tuner subber".
In the states almost all tuners were built by a few companies.
All had the same needs, B+, AGC, IF output and when used
filament & AFT. Electricaly easy to interchange usually.
Its the physical differences that will kill you.

Tuner subbers were a tech aid. Its just a solid state tuner in
a box with a 9 V battery & gain (AGC) control.Plug in the IF
cable & you got an outboard tuner. We used them to prove a
bad tuner & see how the rest of set ran before doing an expensive
tuner job.

BTW hows about some chassis pictures ?? I love to see the guts
of strange TV's

73 Zeno
Old 05-28-2014, 07:48 AM
VideoKarma Member

All the variable modulators I have found have been UHF only.

The only differences I'm aware of in the channel allocations was when they stopped using channels 0,3,4 and 5. Unless you've somehow ended up with a set that only has those biscuits fitted to it's tuner you should able able to find something that lines up.

Another option would be to feed it with IF, either straight from the modulator (many modulators intended for headend installation have an IF output, but you won't find it on consumer gear) or from another tuner.

The tuners used in most 90s sets are fairly simply to drive and the pinout is often marked on the board.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:01 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Merritt View Post
These are a couple of Kriesler TVs I've revived. This was an indigenous Australian brand which disappeared in the 70s, but before then produced many fine quality radios from the 30s and TVs from 1956 when broadcasting began in Australia.

The first is a 79-2 from 1959, and probably one of the first in Adelaide as broadcasts didn't start until that year. Still has no sound, and I can't get any sort of picture to it because the channel frequencies changed in about 1960, and they don't correspond with the later frequencies, or the output RF from a video, so it's sitting...waiting. Any hints? A modulator with adjustable output may work, but does such a beast exist?!

The second is a model 79-16 from 1964 and responded well after a re-cap and a couple of resistors of the wrong rating being replaced. It has a Panasonic video driving it, and I can plug in a set top box or DVD player. Bit of a buzz with the sound, but the tuner frequencies match the RF output of the video.

There are still many of these around in Australia, and I also have a huge console 3-in-1 with a 25" TV, valve stereo and record player tucked away in the dry. Too big for the house, but no interest shown in others when offered for sale.

Hope you enjoy them - I do!

Cheers from South Australia.
I have a JVC multi-standard VCR.
IIRC, the RF output is UHF. I used the video and audio outputs.
Do the newer Aussie sets, have just a UHF tuner?
Old 05-28-2014, 09:35 AM
VideoKarma Member

Almost all sets from 1956 until the 1970s are VHF only. We got color in 1975. Most of the our early color sets are also VHF only. UHF tuners became standard on color sets around 79/80. The $99 12" B&W set remained VHF only until they stopped selling them.

Our discontinued channel 0 is a little bit below what most standard European tuners will tune. Channels 3, 4 and 5 were between 88-108MHz and were discontinued to make way for FM radio.

Now that analog has been switched off the lowest channel in use is VHF 6.
Audiokarma
Old 05-28-2014, 01:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.ido View Post
Almost all sets from 1956 until the 1970s are VHF only. We got color in 1975. Most of the our early color sets are also VHF only. UHF tuners became standard on color sets around 79/80. The $99 12" B&W set remained VHF only until they stopped selling them.

Our discontinued channel 0 is a little bit below what most standard European tuners will tune. Channels 3, 4 and 5 were between 88-108MHz and were discontinued to make way for FM radio.

Now that analog has been switched off the lowest channel in use is VHF 6.
Our FM band, as well as aircraft and public service bands are located between USA channels 6&7. When they discontinued analog TV broadcast, none of the digital channels are on the low VHF TV band. Here the only digital channel, on VHF high band is the public TV channel 10, which is really, VHF channel 11.
Old 05-29-2014, 02:38 AM
VideoKarma Member

Perhaps a North American VHF analog modulator normally on M standard 3,4 and some slight retuning might be in order. The MC-1374 is a good candidate: it's oscillator is good to 105 MHz.
Old 05-29-2014, 12:07 PM
Motorola Minion

Those are very attractive sets by USA standards.
By 1967, color TV sales equalled BW sales (in units, not $$)
Old 06-21-2014, 01:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

Please google for this CCIR/PAL modulator:
http://www.idealo.de/preisvergleich/...hf-goobay.html

It is told that it really works fine with vintage TVs.
This set is offered by many companies.
Maybe you have to adjust one of your VHF channels.

Good luck!

TV-collector
Old 06-25-2014, 02:09 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.ido View Post
Our discontinued channel 0 ... Channels 3, 4 and 5 were between 88-108MHz and were discontinued to make way for FM radio.
What a stuffup, the bureaucrats really outdid themselves.
Audiokarma
Old 06-25-2014, 02:14 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV-collector View Post
"There is...no more AM in Germany"
TV-collector
Think of Australia doing without FM because the idiots in Govt put TV channels in the FM band.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:55 AM
VideoKarma Member

To be fair FM radio wasn't really a thing when the channels were allocated. It's just whoever was in charge at the time was rather stubborn about changing it. There was a proposal in the 70s to put FM radio broadcasting somewhere around 400MHz rather than give up those TV channels.

Our lack of FM in the 70s meant we sometimes got our own special versions of receivers. A Sansui 210A has SW and supposedly a better AM section than a standard 210.

Some rural areas did go without FM until the early 90s as they still had those channels in use.

I spent a year or so in country Victoria around 1992. At the time there were 2 TV channels - ABC (the national broadcaster) on channel 4 and Southern Cross TV on channel 8. Southern cross TV played a mixture of programs sourced from the 3 commercial networks in Melbourne along with some local programming.

I had the highest gain antenna I could find and a booster amp to get barely watchable reception of Melbourne channels. Others stacked several antennas on higher masts and got better than what I got. Hotels with such a setup proudly boasted "Melbourne TV" on their signs.

One local commerical radio station and an ABC radio station on AM. At night things opened up and I could get stations from all over the country (I think the DX was about the only thing I miss). The only FM was a low power tourist information broadcast that barely reached beyond the car park it was located in.

I was there for the change over. ABC moved off channel 4 onto UHF. Southern cross stayed on channel 8, but became a TEN affiliate. Affiliates for the other Melbourne commerical networks appeared on UHF along with SBS. A community station was first to appear on FM, followed later by commerical and ABC stations.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:31 AM
VideoKarma Member

"Kriesler" was the name of a classical composer I learned not too long ago. Possible origin of the brand name?
Old 06-27-2014, 10:10 AM
VideoKarma Member

Here is the complete story:

http://www.radiomuseum.org/dsp_herst...ompany_id=7120

TV-collector
Old 07-07-2014, 08:05 AM
Australian Young'un

Are you a member of my collectors group on Facebook Alan? I think I remember seeing your sets before. I have a 1964 Kriesler 79/15-B that looks identical to your 79/16.

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chris Kriesler 79-15-B.jpg (56.1 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by Fairlane500skyliner; 07-07-2014 at 08:14 AM.
Audiokarma