Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-10-2010, 02:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

VM model 208 tube classroom record player

OK, I've been wanting one of these for a while and finally found one - a VM model 208 tube classroom record player from around '62. It uses a 3 tube amp (12AT6, 50C5, and 35W4) and has the usual volume and tone controls plus an external speaker jack. Upon inspection, this player will need a complete overhaul, which is to be expected. The cartridge is dead, the idler wheel is hard, the amp needs caps, and the mechanism needs to be cleaned and lubricated. One interesting thing I noticed is that this player does not use the standard Astatic 89T like most other school record players. It uses a strange looking stereo cartridge that is wired for mono. The only markings I'm finding is "M!" stamped on the cartridge body in black ink and a faded "116" on the mounting bracket. I suppose I could convert this to use an 89T; but, this cartridge looks like it might be a little more friendly to records. I think this will be a decent unit once fixed up.