Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-17-2006, 09:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri
Here's a link to what was Panasonic's first VCR, or VTR as it was called. Looks pretty darn close to mine

http://matsushita.co.jp/corp/company...inp1977_1.html

You gotta think that for $1100 new back then, they built in the same quality into these as many companies did in stereo gear.
Actually, Matsushita/Panasonic had VCRs out long before that..! They obviously didn't use the VHS format though-- they were EIAJ-2 format, which was basically the ol' EIAJ-color 1/2" open reel video format, but repackaged into *cartridge* form. The cartridge had just one tape reel though-- you inserted the cartridge into a front-load slot in the machine (much like on a modern front-load VCR), and internally it would automatically thread the tape out of the cartridge and onto the (internal) take-up spool that forms part of the mechanism. Of course, this meant you had to rewind the tape entirely before you could eject the cartridge.

Come to think of it, though, perhaps that doesn't qualify as a "VCR" though since a tape "cassette" tends to imply two reels of tape in the same cartridge. Oh, well, whatever.
Old 01-20-2006, 03:17 AM
I love old stuff

"GoldStar" it's named today "LG", not "Daewoo".
Btw, "Daewoo" opened a car plant in Romania (Craoiva, capital of Dolj county, southern Romania). We still have the right to produce "Daewoo" cars. This cars are a lot better then thoes bloody "Dacia" 1310/Solenza/Logan (all my rescpect for "Dacia" 1100/1300 with French engine)
Old 01-20-2006, 06:07 AM
eclectic collector

Hi,
There are many GOOD movies not available on DVD , still on VHS tape! Such as "The Seven Ups", or the Original" Blade Runner", not director's cut, Etc.
I still play my VHS tapes.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:53 AM
...enjoys spaghetti.

Quote:
There are many GOOD movies not available on DVD , still on VHS tape! Such as "The Seven Ups",
Wow, I thought I was the only one who liked that movie!

I'd love to have a collection of all those great old 70s movies. Problem is, I was just -2 to age 5 when most of them came out, so unless they showed on TV, I'm not familiar with them. (Back before UHF became a wasteland of infomercials and the "WB")

Just picked up Black Ceaser and Truck Turner brand new on VHS for .99 at the grocery store. I know those are Blacksplotation, not exactly the same thing as French Connection, Bullit, or the Seven Ups, but close enough!
Old 01-23-2006, 08:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

We were talking about items being non repairable, One of the first Hand held GPS units for the public in the early 1990's was made by Motorola in the USA and was designed with plastic clips for the top and bottom halfs. Once it was snaped together it could not be opened again EVER without breaking it. If it was it make it waterproof or spacedust proof but that was not the case. UNIT IS NOT WATER RESISTANT on the back. After about 6 months half the display went out unless you twisted the unit. Motorola did offer me the option of a refund, the whole production run was crushed and shredded. Hey, What ever happened to the Motorola Trillium satelitte phone system?
Audiokarma
Old 01-25-2006, 11:51 AM
VideoKarma Member

Around that same time I was sent shopping for a cordless phone for my sister. I really wanted something American made & finally found the one Motorola had out. It looked pretty nice, too-a flip phone that fit easily in the pocket & just a good all-around design. The phone lasted about a month. Tech support was helpful & mailed out a replacement right away; they just had me send the defective one back at their convenience. Years later I needed a phone for work so searched out one of these. By then Moto had discontinued them & all I could get were reconditioned units. I had 3 in all & none of them lasted more than a few weeks. I put them all in a box & sold them to a fellow at a yard sale we were having. Charged him 25 cents. He probably overpaid. Really ashame.
Old 01-29-2006, 01:18 AM
VideoKarma Member

I picked up a Beta machine at a thrift store today, 1984 Sears SR 1000, it plays B II and B III. I brought it home put in a tape and it worked. The head was dirty, so I put in a Beta head-cleaning tape I picked up at the same thrift store today, and it cleared it right up. I couldn't believe it, I've never brought home any video tape player this old and just had it work with no difficulties like that.
Old 03-10-2006, 11:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

I got a old top-loading RCA at a thrift today, model VCT400X, 1979, it worked when I got it home, head is a bit dirty though. I also got a CED player, RCA SFT100W, but I don't have any CEDs, so I don't know if it works or not.
Old 03-11-2006, 04:05 AM
VideoKarma Member

I've been collecting Beta and VHS VCRs in the past several years. Most of my (small) VHS collection is all made by Panasonic. A Magnavox and 2 Sylvania's. They all worked perfectly as is. I got several ones from the 90s from other manufacters, but they aren't built as well.

My Beta collection also works well. Still got my first VCR I've had since I was 5 (parents gave it to me.) A Sony Super Beta SL-100. All original parts, direct driven. Works as good as it did over 20 years ago.

I need to find more early 80s VHS machines...
Old 03-11-2006, 03:11 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by THOR
True if you have a library of old tapes but a DVD player can be had for like $50 now and DVD's cost the same as VHS so most people will be making the switch. I still have my VCR in the loop I was just jerking your chain
I also have a Panasonic Omnivision VHS VCR in my entertainment system. Bought it new about three years ago, a replacement for a Panasonic Omni which ate one of my cassettes just hours after I had finished recording the tape. Hated to lose that first Pana, since it had VCR Plus+ and worked really well until the cassette jammed. (I had to practically wreck the machine to get the cassette out; even then I had to break the tape as well ). I kept the remote, though; it works with my current Panasonic VCR just fine. I have no intention of giving up my VCR as I have a large library of VHS cassettes, mostly old movies and '70s-'80s TV series, and I do tape shows every now and then (mostly time shifting). But my DVD player gets more use these days than the VCR. Some day I might look into a DVD recorder so I can transfer my VHS tapes to DVD, but for the time being, as long as my current VCR works as well as it does, I'll keep it around.

Panasonic claims on its web site that its VCRs are built to last; as little as I use mine since getting the DVD player a year and a half ago, I don't anticipate any problems for quite a while. I bought a Panasonic-built GE VCR, my first VCR, in 1984 that lasted six years before the heads wore out, an Emerson VCR after that which lasted several years, and a Magnavox VCR which lasted five years before the heads gave up in it too. The first Panasonic followed, which lasted two(!) years, replaced by my present Pana VCR. Assuming the machines are still available several years from now, I will likely replace that VCR with a VHS/DVD dual deck when the time comes. I would think, since VHS will definitely be a dead format when digital TV becomes standard in a little more than three years, these DVD recorders will be very popular and as inexpensive as VCRs are today.

BTW, I don't think DVDs are quite as cheap as VHS cassettes yet; at least they aren't at the stores I frequent. I can get RCA and other brands of blank VHS tapes at Big Lots for 98 cents apiece; I haven't yet seen blank (recordable) DVDs that cheap anywhere. I can get CD-Rs designed for data storage at dirt-cheap prices as well (I bought a spindle of 30 Imation CD-Rs at Big Lots last year for something like $3.99), but I wouldn't try to record video on them. I am not really sure what the difference is, if any, between CD-Rs designed for data storage and disks meant for video recording, although I have successfully transferred still images (jpeg) to CD-R from my computer's hard disk.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Audiokarma
Old 03-11-2006, 03:21 PM
What did the jar say Igor

Heres a tank Sony SVP-9000,its a bear .
Old 03-11-2006, 07:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 12-06-2021 at 11:33 AM.
Old 03-19-2006, 08:35 AM
TeeVee collector

I have this Betamax SLC-20E from about 1984. It´s just a cheap model, but it is a very solid construction which weighs about 15 kilos. The only plastic part of the chassis is the front panel. The previous owner had it in use for less than 10 years and did not use it much. It plays back pretty good, but does not record very well. Of course i have cleaned the heads, but it does not help. I tried to do some adjustments to it but that did not help either. I know it has been better than now because the recordings on some of the cassettes i got with it are better. Should i try to recap it?

I also have a Sanyo Betacord VTC5000 fron the early 80s, but that is pretty beaten up. The (plastic) chassis is broken in two, the front panel is missing, the heads are worn down, the picture is nothing much to talk about, but it works. When it dies, i am going to thrash it. I found it at the dump.

When it comes to VHS i have a Panasonic NV-G40 HQ from 1988 which is in good condition, but i suspect the heads is nearing the end of their lifetime. It is pretty much used, but the picture is still chrystal clear. On a good tape the still and slow motion picture is perfect, and there is a own tracking control for slow motion. The timer can be programmed with a bar code scanner; it is cool, but i think this is mostly a "gimmick". I use this VCR with my 1984 Philips TV.

Last edited by larschr; 03-13-2009 at 08:53 AM.
Old 03-19-2006, 12:28 PM
Ernie

I got an RCA SelctaVision VDT-501 on eBay. It is black plastic with woodgrain shell, and DIALS! It was made in 1979 and still works like new! I will never part with it... I'm taking it to the grave! It's an excellent pieceof equipment, built like a tank, and it's a shame they don't still make them like this.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:26 PM

Mitsubishi had some older units that were pretty nice.
Heres one.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Mitsubishi-HS-U7...QQcmdZViewItem
Audiokarma