Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-25-2016, 10:13 AM
VideoKarma Member

I have little experience and don't have a manual. Yes, that's exactly it. Sometimes, the unit turns off during those clicking sessions. Where is the FL switch usually located?

Thank you for your help.
Old 01-25-2016, 11:03 AM
blast, blast...

If memory serves its on the front load mech itself, right side. You should see wires leading to it.
Know that the FL needs to be installed in exactly the spot it is now so don't pull it without studying it. A specific tooth of the 'rack' goes in a specific place in the gear.
I feel like I'm handing you a firearm...
And, that it's been 15 years since I shot one only a few times...
Brian
Old 01-26-2016, 10:28 AM
VideoKarma Member

Ok, I took this thing out.

I cleaned the bulb and the hole it peeks through. It seemed pretty clean already as in the picture. I fired it up, but it still stops. Your description is perfect, it's just as if the stop button is pressed.

EDIT: Ok, I can't get it back in so for diagnostics I put the slider all the way at the end. It seems to be playing fine now. So is the switch broken?

EDIT: OK, I put it back in. The VCR seems to be playing fine now. I'll let this thread know what happens.

If it still misbehaves, how can I clean the slider sensor? That seems to be the cause. Deoxit?

Last edited by Outland; 02-11-2016 at 01:41 AM.
Old 01-26-2016, 11:54 AM
VideoKarma Member

It works!

I didn't even do anything. All I did was take out the sliding sensor and put it back in.

Blast, I have no idea how you did that. 15 years is a long time.
Old 01-26-2016, 12:06 PM
blast, blast...

Hmmm... On one hand it's not "fixed" in the professional sense. On the other, it may be "fixed" enough for the tech being the end user (and, 25 years later).

The professional "fix" was to replace the switch. The semi-professional "fix" was to open the switch and clean it out. Back then I may have used head cleaner, don't remember. Today? Fader Lube? I don't know. Ed? Others?
Audiokarma
Old 01-26-2016, 12:09 PM
blast, blast...

It's not the "bulb". It's the slide switch. You can't tell anything from the outside. It's the inside where the electrical connections are made.
Brian
Old 01-26-2016, 12:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

I can use Deoxit on it if it starts acting up again. I assume new parts are non-existant.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

Blast was, once again, completely right. The switch started acting up again. How do I repair it properly? It is sealed pretty tight as can be seen in the photo.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

I couldn't figure out how to open the switch because it is sealed, so I used deoxit on it. Seems to work ok now again, but it might start acting up again. Is it possible to buy a new/working one?
Old 09-17-2016, 10:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

The switch is still causing problems. It seems that right after deoxing it, it works fine (meaning it can get through playing/recording a full-length tape). Afterwards, it's anyone's guess. It still stops randomly/doesn't eject/all sensor problems.

When it works, it works quite well.

Any ideas?
Audiokarma
Old 09-18-2016, 02:22 AM
VideoKarma Member

Well, it just completely died.

I took it apart to clean the mode switch this time. Plugged it in and ejected the tape. Located the mode switch and put a little deoxit into it. Try to do something, and find the unit completely dead.

Plug out and in. No effect. No lights, no nothing. What the heck?!
Old 09-18-2016, 07:24 AM
Old TVs are better!

Sounds like something you might have accidentally shorted something in the process of taking things apart and caused a short, blowing a fuse in the power supply. Also check the power supply for bad caps. However I vote for a bad mode switch. I've changed lots of these back when VCRs were popular as they caused lots of problems in many different models. I remember replacing the exact type of mode switch exactly like yours many times. Cleaning sometimes brings them back to operation. I doubt if it's the end of tape sensors as usually what happens is that it starts to play then stops and goes into rewind. Also counter belt. If counter doesn't run, it tells the processor that the tape isn't being taken up and causes it to stop. All of the suggestions above are possible reasons as to why the tape plays for a bit and stops. Sometimes VCRs are a nightmare to fix, and with so many out there, picking one up that works for cheap or even free might be an option. I think I have 3 of them here, that work, and didn't pay anything for them. I also have an old RCA piano key type VCR with only up to 4 hour mode, (one of the very early ones made by Panasonic) that if I ever get a chance to work on it, it want to fix it up just for nostalgia's sake.
Old 09-18-2016, 11:57 AM
VideoKarma Member

I would check all those circuit protector fuse that look like two legged transistors.
Old 10-02-2016, 04:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

There's a regular fuse that pops out, and it checks out OK. I can't see any other fuses. What do the transistor-type fuses look like?
Old 10-02-2016, 12:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outland View Post
There's a regular fuse that pops out, and it checks out OK. I can't see any other fuses. What do the transistor-type fuses look like?
They are called IC protectors and they look like a TO92 transistor with two or three legs like the photo below.

The part number usually starts with ICP-N or similar .

The 1990's Sony VCR I have here is loaded with them and took me for a loop until I checked them.

https://www.google.com/#q=to92+ic+protectors
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $_35.JPG (3.0 KB, 3 views)
Audiokarma