Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:35 AM
VideoKarma Member

I watch both over the air and cable. All except one of the broadcasters here have subchannels. My favorite is one of the PBS subchannels. Also, all except two of the broadcasters have Spanish language subchannels, not supprising for Texas. In fact, after a recent re-scan, two independent Spanish language channels have shown up.

Cable has become almost useless for me with almost all the channels turning to reality shows, most of which I do not watch.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:57 PM
<----Zenith C845

I would have dropped cable for OTA HD long ago, but two of the local TV stations in Cleveland (wouldn't you know it, the two stations whose subchannels are the ones I watch the most) have VHF DTV channels, which my Clear Cast OTA DTV antenna won't pick up -- that or else the stations' signals, for whatever reason, do not reach here (I am about 35 miles north and east of downtown Cleveland).

The Clear Cast does, however, receive all other OTA DTV stations in this area extremely well; in fact, I was not expecting the results I saw from this antenna when I first tried it on my flat screen. Channel 3, the NBC affiliate in Cleveland, did not reach my area in analog at all, but its digital signal is as clear as a good photograph -- as I would and do expect from DTV. Ditto for channel 5 (ABC), channels 25.1 and 25.3 (PBS and PBS World in Cleveland) and channel 61 (Univision, the only Spanish OTA television station I am aware of in northeastern Ohio).

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 06-16-2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:29 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbenham View Post
I watch HDTV with rooftop over the air antennas, and since I live between Baltimore and Philadelphia I get about 46 different programs with little duplication. Great for sports as I can sometimes get around the blackouts.

All for free. Try that with cable or fiber!

Cliff
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV View Post
Yes indeed! I keep a running total of the money saved since I cancelled satellite TV in late 2005; it is up to about US$5,900.00 so far.
Now, my savings are up to about $6,425.00 not counting June.

I LOVE watching and recording high-quality TV signals for free!

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 06-18-2012, 02:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhs View Post
I would have dropped cable for OTA HD long ago, but two of the local TV stations in Cleveland (wouldn't you know it, the two stations whose subchannels are the ones I watch the most) have VHF DTV channels, which my Clear Cast OTA DTV antenna won't pick up -- that or else the stations' signals, for whatever reason, do not reach here (I am about 35 miles north and east of downtown Cleveland).
Any plans to repeat the experiment with an antenna that has reasonable gain in the VHF high band?

jr
Old 06-18-2012, 02:52 PM
Motorola Minion

Only a good Yagi or Log-periodic antenna with at least 5 elements will work for a "problem" channel.

An apartment trick I saw employed once had an FM yagi antenna attached to a ceiling fan stem. The entire business was hidden from view by a huge blanket or quilt. This looked normal after while and kept the neighbor upstairs from hearing too much sound transmission.
Audiokarma
Old 06-19-2012, 02:34 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

Where was this blanket-covered antenna located? Why would it need to be hidden to keep a neighbor from "hearing" something?

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 07-12-2012, 07:45 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbenham View Post
I watch HDTV with rooftop over the air antennas, and since I live between Baltimore and Philadelphia I get about 46 different programs with little duplication. Great for sports as I can sometimes get around the blackouts.

All for free. Try that with cable or fiber!

Cliff
I would think you'd also be getting Washington, D.C. TV if you are between Baltimore and Philadelphia, if your antenna is on a rotor.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:03 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
Any plans to repeat the experiment with an antenna that has reasonable gain in the VHF high band?

jr
No. I haven't tried that yet. However, one day a month or so ago, out of sheer curiosity, I hooked up my ClearCast HDTV antenna to my flat screen and saw, to my surprise (in addition to the Cleveland TV stations I normally receive here, minus 8 and 19 and their subs), TV stations from Detroit, Michigan and Windsor, Ontario, Canada, all coming in every bit as good as the locals. I was used to seeing Detroit and Windsor TV here in the summer before digital TV replaced analog, but I was amazed to get these stations' DTV signals with an indoor antenna as well as I did. The only Detroit stations I didn't see were their CBS channel 62 and FOX channel 2.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 07-12-2012 at 08:07 PM.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

Nothing like a little Summer tropo to enhance reception! I suspect that you will not find these channels so easily in winter... 40 miles (or so) of the path is across water, so that helps as well! Good catch!
Fox 2 actually transmits on ch 7 so the old High band VHF problem rears its ugly head again.
The CBS channel transmits on ch 44 with decent power (but about 1/2 that of some of the Detroit stations)... perhaps another scan or two would have found it.

jr

Detroit FCC page:
http://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tv...&slon2=&size=9

Last edited by jr_tech; 07-13-2012 at 01:37 PM. Reason: add FCC link
Old 07-13-2012, 02:41 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
Nothing like a little Summer tropo to enhance reception! I suspect that you will not find these channels so easily in winter... 40 miles (or so) of the path is across water, so that helps as well! Good catch!
Fox 2 actually transmits on ch 7 so the old High band VHF problem rears its ugly head again.
The CBS channel transmits on ch 44 with decent power (but about 1/2 that of some of the Detroit stations)... perhaps another scan or two would have found it.

jr

Detroit FCC page:
http://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tv...&slon2=&size=9
I live within one mile of Lake Erie, so I'm not a bit surprised that I was seeing the Detroit/Windsor DTV stations (except 2 and 67) as well as I was.

You are correct as to the Detroit/Windsor stations disappearing in winter, since most TV DX dries up once winter sets in. It was still winter when I received my ClearCast DTV antenna via FedEx last year, so all I was receiving were Cleveland stations and one station calling itself "CSCN" on channel 39, all with reception quality far exceeding my expectations. If not for the fact that I do not receive channels 8 and 19 OTA with this antenna, I would have canceled my cable shortly after the antenna arrived at my doorstep last year.

I will not be continuing my experiments with VHF high-band reception, however, after reading another post in this thread that stated I would need at least a five-element VHF antenna to receive channels 8 and 19, both of which are on VHF DTV channels. Because I live in an apartment building, outdoor antennas of any kind (except satellite dishes; go figure ) are forbidden, so my only recourse is either do without those two channels or keep my cable, the latter carrying all my area's local channels plus a few (quite a few) which I do not watch. I could not cancel my cable service if I wanted to, since it is part of a bundle from Time Warner Cable. There would be an early termination fee (well over $100, IIRC) charged to my cable bill if I were to cancel my cable at this time, even if I kept the other two services (Internet and home phone).

Audiokarma
Old 07-13-2012, 04:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
It was still winter when I received my ClearCast DTV antenna via FedEx last year, so all I was receiving were Cleveland stations and one station calling itself "CSCN" on channel 39, all with reception quality far exceeding my expectations.
Check your notes... I think that before you reported CSCN as ch 25.9, which we determined *was* a Cleveland station (audio only) for the visually impaired. (Cleveland Sight Center Network)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WVIZ

jr
Old 08-21-2012, 01:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
I would think you'd also be getting Washington, D.C. TV if you are between Baltimore and Philadelphia, if your antenna is on a rotor.
No, I can't get any Washington DC stations. Probably slightly too far around the earth's curvature...

Sometimes I get stations from New Jersey, Delaware, Allentown and York.
Seems somewhat weather dependent.
Cliff