Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

What is wrong with wanting advice from experts?
Old 03-08-2013, 08:48 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstout66 View Post
I like that scene in the movie "Carrie" where the mother tells her: "They're all gonna laugh at you!" It's especially good when watching it on a Magnavox of that vintage that actually works........
Is that the movie with the teen-age girl and the weird mother. She started to bleed in the girl's shower room and didn't know about it.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

I like the movie Psycho. He was his mother.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:38 AM
David Thomas

Firebird, you're liable to never get this set fixed until you get a diagram that will enable you to properly troubleshoot and diagnose the problem. Someone gave you the Sams Photofact file number, so you can go to Sams website and order a copy. Or, you can check ebay for one.

Either way, you might spend $20 for the service manual but that's a heck of a lot cheaper than buying parts to throw at it in the hopes that you might just hit the right one. Often times, certain chassis are known to have certain problems and certain parts that everybody knows cause problems...those are the easy ones, but your issue doesn't sound like one of those.

You came to the right place to get answers, so I suggest you take that advice and buy the service manual.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
What is wrong with wanting advice from experts?
I am curious if you have verified if all wires are in fact OK (good/acceptable) You must remember you are working on a TV that is now 32(+) years old! Wires of this age can break down over time, causing an increase in resistance in the copper conductor (or aluminum in some special cases due to corrosion due to the presense of moisture) which can lower the operating voltage(s) needed for CRITICAL circuits! However YOU MUST and I stress the word MUST be VERY and I stress the word VERY careful when working in and around a powered (or unpowered) TV (television) set of this age (1981 as you mentioned earlier in this thread, on April 16, 2012 at 5:32 PM). There are DANGEROUS, I repeat DANGEROUS voltages in and around the printed circuit board (the thin composite sheet like "board" that contains the (majority) of TV (television) components). The CRT (Cathode Ray Tube) contains the highest of dangerous voltage(s). If one is not aware of these dangerous voltages (a schematic diagram is of the utmost importance) the service technician may be at risk of potential electrocution not to mention damage to electrical (or electronic) testing/analyzing equipment. I STRONGLY ADVISE that YOU be fully familiar with the operation characteristics and voltages of this TV (television) before performing ANY, I repeat ANY electronic repair/service work. You may want to seek (find/locate) a schematic diagram for your particular TV (television) and CAREFULLY study (comprehend) it so that YOU may be FULLY AWARE of these voltages.

Last edited by Norbert; 03-09-2013 at 10:24 AM.
Audiokarma
Old 03-09-2013, 12:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

I would concur with Norbert. The voltages are VERY dangerous.
Also, I'm not sure if you're aware, (as your TV became inoperable before the transition) but there are no analog signals OTA (over the air), and you will need to get a set-top box and use that remote, because if indeed your Magnavox ( not the company in existance today) has a remote option, you will be better off with a set top because if it is ultrasonic, it will damage your hearing. Also.. and most don't realize this, is that early 80's sets usually had an LED read-out, and you must NOT look at it for very long, as it could burn your retinas out......
Old 03-11-2013, 08:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

A quick look at the schematic I think you have two seperate problems. You may need to change the chroma module, and the audio module. The only module that affects both is the secondary control module. You need to verify the power to each of these modules first. Volume, tone, color, and tint controls are on the secondary control module. Check the connections to this module. Power from these is not from the flyback. It comes from the 30 volt power supply, but this also provides power for a lot of the modules so I doubt there is a problem there.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:32 PM
Respect the tube!

Quote:
Also.. and most don't realize this, is that early 80's sets usually had an LED read-out, and you must NOT look at it for very long, as it could burn your retinas out......
I never heard of a light emitting diode (LED) causing issues with viewing. With laser devices, yes, but not LED's. I sure saw a lot of my red LED clock radio in the late 70's, early 80's that was sitting right on my nightstand. Were the tv manufacturers using something odd or different for channel displays? Last time I checked, LED's were just a fast pulsing, non focused light, especially in segment displays as the light was super diffused.

I have only come across 7 segment modules for each number or a fluorescent, plasma like tube display if there were other colors beyond red in the display.

Would love to know more about this.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

Does anyone have a chroma module and sound module?
Old 03-11-2013, 10:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

Check those supply voltages, and the secondary control panel connections before you start changing modules.
Audiokarma
Old 03-12-2013, 03:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
Does anyone have a chroma module and sound module?
I have (own) them both (2 modules), in used (but working) condition. However, they (the modules and TV set) were last working some number of years ago. It is imperative to note that there is no guarantee on the functional status (working condition) of these particular referenced modules. I would like to get $100 for each (individual) module (chroma and sound as initially requested) plus the cost of S+H (shipping and handling). If you are interested, please PM (private message) me via the Video Karma messaging system. However, if you are not interested, you do not need to PM (private message) me. Only PM (private message) me if you are interested. However, if you are NOT interested you may also reply back on this public discussion board (the forum).
Old 03-12-2013, 04:52 PM
60s Throwback

Old 03-12-2013, 05:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

If only it were true.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

This is all I have on this anymore.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T815man 003.jpg (127.6 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg T815man 002.jpg (108.3 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg T815man 001.jpg (136.8 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg T815man.jpg (104.7 KB, 31 views)
Old 03-12-2013, 07:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

HAHAHAHAHA! Norbert... As I was reading the post, I thought it was another member that posts in a similar style. I still can't quit laughing!
Audiokarma