Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-18-2005, 12:14 AM
RadioHead

I have the '67 Electronics Illustrated with the article on the numbers stations. Even had a slip of an OTP. I first heard them about that time or a couple years later.

Hallicrafters made a good AC/DC SWL radio. Any of the S-38 series would be a good choice, about 50 bucks or less typically. Being AC/DC there are stray voltage issues. Nothing that can't be dealt with if you can solder in a part or wire a new power cord, but old unrepaired units may have some risks. I know at age 9, I woulda loved to own one, shock hazard or not, but perhaps a transistor set is more appropriate.

Any of Zenith's transistorized versions of the Trans Oceanic would be great. The Halli is nice as it has a bandspread dial for fine tuning. Many "casual swl" portable will not tune that well, but you could probably snag a station with patience, good timing and some luck. An outdoor antenna, just a long wire strung out there, would help.

Most of the signals seem quite strong, maybe they're close by me, in the Hall of Records behind Mt. Rushmore maybe??

-Ed
Old 04-18-2005, 06:14 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

There is a book, "Passport to World Band Radio" that you may want to check out. It has schedules for a lot of the bigger broadcasters, eceiving tips, & reviews of quite a few of currently-available radios. It comes out once a year. There are 2 fairly well-distributed magazines, "Popular Communications" & "Monitoring Times", that have product reviews as well. Me, I'd save up & go for a Rick Mish restored R-390A-it's the ONLY way to fly....but not everyone wants an imposing 85 lb radio sitting around...-Sandy G.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:27 PM
Upper-middle fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Eddie
I had never heard of this. I work at a TV station and no one here had heard of it either. I pitched it to the News guys. We're doing a story about it next month! With all the increased concer over homeland security, it's just a neat thing that's going on in the world that I bet people would like to know about. Even if we don't really know much!

Thanks for the "tip"

Ed
The news guys loved the story. It's May "sweeps" right now and the story just aired. I work at a CBS station, and on Friday nights we have a show called "Numbers" that airs before our newscast. That coupled with it being Friday the 13th added up to the perfect opportunity to do the story.

At the end, the anchors asked the reporter where he got the story and he said that one of the guys in the promotion department, an "audio enthusiast" pitched it and they all thought it was interesting. Pretty neat!

Thanks again!

Ed
Old 05-13-2005, 11:33 PM
On Land

Hey Eddie!

That's great! Maybe this will get you a raise in pay! If so, we're all coming to your house for beer!

Curious... does your TV station have a website? Is it possible to go to the website and read the story? Would be interesting to see what they had to say.

Our local stations have websites, and that's how I try to keep up with what's goin on in my area when I'm on the ship in ports other than my own.

If you could provide a link to the story, it would be appreciated!

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:53 PM
Upper-middle fi

Yes, the web site is http://www.cbs4denver.com

The story likely won't post on the site till monday. They don't put them up until after they air.

Thanks,

Ed
Old 05-16-2005, 04:21 PM
On Land

I just finished looking over the story cbs-4 did on the numbers stations. Pretty freakin cool! There was also a link to click to see the video/audio of the story. I like the background audio they used while reporting the story! Made it seem even creepier!

http://kcncimg.dayport.com/htm/kcnc4...ewer_noads.tpl

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Old 05-16-2005, 06:29 PM
Yamaha Fan

CBS channel 4 in Denver did a great job on the story - nice going Fast Eddie!
Old 05-16-2005, 11:58 PM
Banned

nice going Eddie, aka "Jimmy the Spy in the mailroom".