Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Television Broadcast Gear

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

How much cost a TV station in the 40s/50s???

Anyone knows? How much you had to pay to RCA Victor sometime around 1948/1949 to buy a complete TV station, let's say one with three studio cameras, a film chain, a slide projector and a remote truck?

I am trying to do a research on this, because one author wrote that the first Brazilian TV station ( innaugurated in 1950 ) cost 5 million dollars, other said it cost only 300 thousand dollars. I want to find out who was right ( or more close to the truth ).
Old 08-02-2011, 12:30 AM
VideoKarma Member

Here's an equipment catalog:

http://www.earlytelevision.org/rca_b...pt_prices.html

But, that would only be part of the story. A television station would hire what we would today call a system integration vendor. It wasn't unusual for that vendor to be a major television equipment manufacturer, which is how you ended up with TV stations with all RCA equipment or all GE equipment. They would come in and put the whole thing together from spec to install for the customer, so that would have a cost.

Then there would also be land for the transmitter, and a custom built studio, etc.

It's could be difficult to figure out, although sometimes the stations themselves would say "our new x million dollar facility" in their advertisement literature, so that might be a rough guess as to the total cost.

David
Old 08-02-2011, 01:37 AM
VideoKarma Member

dtuomi

I thank you for your help. Guess it is gonna be a little more difficult than I thought to find the exact value.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:24 PM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

Millions of US Dollars to build a station from scratch. And many thousands of dollars annually to maintain one.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

My father worked at WRC-TV, Channel 4, in Washington, D.C. It was said to be the first television plant built "from the ground up" for color broadcasts. It was completed in 1957. My dad told me RCA invested $20 million in the plant at the time it was built. This would have to be considered opinion, however, I do have the original dedication documents stored and will check them. I seem to remember a dollar figure was mentioned. Also, there was a special article in RCA Broadcast News Magazine on this station, so when I have a spare moment, I will check that as well.

Regards,
Mark
Audiokarma
Old 08-31-2011, 12:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

Scan in some of the documents, PLEASE !!!!

Scan in some of the documents, PLEASE !!!!
Old 09-03-2011, 01:21 PM
<----Zenith C845

Television station WAGA in Atlanta was built in the '50s from scratch. I don't know how much it cost to get it on the air, but my best guess is in the hundreds of thousands of dollars (1950s dollars, that is; today it would probably be in the millions). There was an article in, I believe, Radio-TV Experimenter magazine some time in the '60s, titled "The Stately Station That Home-Brew Built", that described how the station was constructed. I don't have the article anymore (threw out the magazine years ago), but I still remember the details from it. The station was the CBS affiliate for the Atlanta area and operated on channel 5; it is now affiliated with FOX. The CBS affiliation went to a UHF station in Atlanta called WGCL-TV on channel 46.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 09-05-2011 at 11:17 AM.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

I believe I have RCA price lists for the late 40's and will get a close idea but I think around $1-1.5 milion comes to mind for just the equipment
Old 09-04-2011, 08:53 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I dunno, but along w/the "Freeze", I'd wager the high cost of outfitting a station kept MANY smaller markets out of the TV game til the mid '50s...Here, we didn't have TV til late '53 or early '54...
Old 09-06-2011, 10:58 AM
VideoKarma Member

Document scans

I do not own a scanner, however I do have access to one here at work. Please give me some time to do this, I won't forget. Family and work issues are taking a lot of my time right now, but I will get these posted.

Regards,
Mark
Audiokarma
Old 11-15-2011, 12:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Follow the link below to Volume #91, October 1956, page 29, (pdf page 31) RCA Broadcast News Magazine, and note the cost of building WRC-TV, the "first television station built from the ground up for color broadcasting" was $4 Million. The inflation calculators on Internet indicate that is about $32 Million in todays dollars.

http://www.americanradiohistory.com/...ange-Guide.htm
Old 11-15-2011, 06:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks for the link... that might give me a more or less idea of how much a B&W station might have cost a few years earlier.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:50 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

My guess: Figure black and white gear is 1/2 or less the cost of color; the building and transmitter cost the same; lighting cost maybe 1/2 - 3/4 of color (still need lights, but less total candlepower).

You mentioned a remote truck - so add in the cost of more cameras and gear.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

Great link !!!

A great link the Jan 1954 issue was a very interesting READ !
Old 11-28-2011, 01:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

According to Murray Bolen in his book The Fundamentals of Television, published in 1950, it depended on what level of service you were going to provide, which in effect meant how much original programming you were going to do. He gives estimates for several different levels of service, and they run from about $140,000 to $425,000. The hardware costs are based on the average of the two largest suppliers at the time (he doesn't name them, but presumably RCA was one), and labour estimates are based on the experience of stations on the air at the time. He specifically leaves out, however, the purchase of the real estate, the payment of royalties for the programming, and a few other things.
He gives a very detailed breakdown of the costs, which is too long to quote here; let me see if I can extract the relevant pages and send them along. Or, if you like, I believe the entire book is in pdf format on earlytelevision.org.
Hope this helps.
Audiokarma