Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-27-2016, 01:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnx64 View Post
My DVD recorder allows SP/LP/EP speeds, even on a DVD+R. Quality does vary as a result. I have recorded many 8 hour discs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Ditto. I run a Toshiba D-VR5 DVD recorder/VHS combo for DVD recording. My oldest discs from it are around 5 years old and still play fine (mine has 4 speeds Xp/Sp/Lp/Ep that run 1/2/4/6 hours each respectively and in quality ranging from vastly better than VHS to decent ).
I also have a Panasonic DMR-E80H DVR/DVD recorder. I mostly use it's DVR section...It is a free DVR not tied to cable or tivo or any other crap....I just set it like a VCR and later watch my programs and when done either delete them or dub them to DVD...It is that easy. Both units were thrift shop finds and I spent less than $40 a piece.
Thanks for the info guys. I know I got the slower speeds on my Panasonic.I used it once on the slow speeds years ago.I got to check it out.I think the DVD ram can record longer then 6 hour but the video will look like a Youtube stream or the old Realvideo video streams from years ago .

My question is .Will these slower speed DVDs playback on other DVD players.
Old 09-27-2016, 02:24 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralradio View Post

My question is .Will these slower speed DVDs playback on other DVD players.
On my Toshiba all speeds are compatible with most other players (those that can handle DVD-R), but with 2 caveats: 1.) the disc has to be finalized first (a ~1minute process that makes it compatible with other players, but blocks the Toshiba from recording anymore on to it*), 2.) it has to be recorded in the correct mode...There is IIRC a video mode and a VR mode one is designed for using DVD-RW and Ram like a DVR and is not compatible with the finalization process, the other does not allow selective erasing and re-recording, but is compatible with finalization.

These procedures and their existence and function will vary with brand and model, thus it is essential you carefully RTFM for your player, and practice before relying on it...Whenever I would bring a new VCR or more modern recorder into the fold I always made test recordings, and ran it along side my older equipment for a while until I was comfortable with the controls/process, and confident it was reliable. Mistakes and failures are easier to laugh off if something else got a good recording.

*DVD-RWs can be erassed completely and re used after that.

I almost always use the 2 hour speed (longer if I'm squeezed for time, shorter if it is a really important program to me to have in max quality), and remove commercials...I get better recording economy that way than when I was using 6 hour tapes with no commercial skip circa 2010.

There are 2 ways I edit out commercials: 1.) live when I'm watching and recording a show I want in my archive, 2.) using the Panasonic DVR to capture it entirely live, then on DVR playback pause the toshiba's recording during commercials when dubbing from the panny DVR to the toshi DVD-R....I think I could do this with just the panny's internal DVR/DVD-R drives, but I don't use the DVD-R in the panny almost ever, and have been too lazy to learn when existent methods suffice...Maybe one day.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 09-27-2016, 09:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
On my Toshiba all speeds are compatible with most other players (those that can handle DVD-R), but with 2 caveats: 1.) the disc has to be finalized first (a ~1minute process that makes it compatible with other players, but blocks the Toshiba from recording anymore on to it*), 2.) it has to be recorded in the correct mode...There is IIRC a video mode and a VR mode one is designed for using DVD-RW and Ram like a DVR and is not compatible with the finalization process, the other does not allow selective erasing and re-recording, but is compatible with finalization.

These procedures and their existence and function will vary with brand and model, thus it is essential you carefully RTFM for your player, and practice before relying on it...Whenever I would bring a new VCR or more modern recorder into the fold I always made test recordings, and ran it along side my older equipment for a while until I was comfortable with the controls/process, and confident it was reliable. Mistakes and failures are easier to laugh off if something else got a good recording.

*DVD-RWs can be erassed completely and re used after that.

I almost always use the 2 hour speed (longer if I'm squeezed for time, shorter if it is a really important program to me to have in max quality), and remove commercials...I get better recording economy that way than when I was using 6 hour tapes with no commercial skip circa 2010.

There are 2 ways I edit out commercials: 1.) live when I'm watching and recording a show I want in my archive, 2.) using the Panasonic DVR to capture it entirely live, then on DVR playback pause the toshiba's recording during commercials when dubbing from the panny DVR to the toshi DVD-R....I think I could do this with just the panny's internal DVR/DVD-R drives, but I don't use the DVD-R in the panny almost ever, and have been too lazy to learn when existent methods suffice...Maybe one day.
Oh Thanks for the info and help Tom.Yes I do edit out ads for a 2 hour show in order to fit the complete 2 hour show on to one DVD. If the show is 3 hours or more like last weeks Emmy's . .I just let the first DVD record to about 1 hour and 45 to 50 minutes and I do a DVD swap and finish the show on the second DVD.What is my issues and gripe about is the time shifting.I could get the DVR like you mentioned or check Comcast or move over to Frontier which is my ISP and get one from them.Then I can just dub what I want off the DVR like you are doing.
Old 09-29-2016, 09:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

As I was looking for blank video tapes at the local goodwill which they did not have any. .I end up bringing home a Toshiba HHD DVR/DVD recorder RD-KX50SU for $10 bucks.It lacks a remote but it works on playback from both.Now I got to see it it records.I have to find a remote that works with it in order to set the time and make use of the other functions.
Old 09-29-2016, 09:51 PM
M is for Memory

Good Luck! Be sure to google the model number for a digital copy of the user manual...It is always good to have the manual around.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma
Old 09-29-2016, 11:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Good Luck! Be sure to google the model number for a digital copy of the user manual...It is always good to have the manual around.

Thanks Tom.I found the owners manual on manualsonline.com and the remote on this website.I'll call them and make sure its the right remote for it tomorrow.

https://www.remotehound.com/

I will test the record functions later on both DVR and DVD recorder.Now I can watch the DVR and see what the previous owner recorded on it.So far got an episode of Two in a Half Man on there so far and it looks crisp and clean too.If It works great.I probably can put the VHS tape worries to bed.
Old 10-02-2016, 02:34 PM
Slave to 1 Cat

So far, K-Mart still carries VHS tapes. I still use VHS to tape shows I do not want to miss.
Old 10-02-2016, 06:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowhereMan 1966 View Post
So far, K-Mart still carries VHS tapes. I still use VHS to tape shows I do not want to miss.
I'll check it out but their website does not show any now.Maybe in the store which is a good 25 miles from here thanks to Walmart that killed them off 20 years ago.
Old 10-09-2016, 01:48 PM
Slave to 1 Cat

Let me add, the K-Mart is in Weirton, WV
Old 10-19-2016, 03:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

I found the source for tapes which I just ordered 40 of them.They said the stock is very limited at 100 and more likely I will end up buying it all out.
Audiokarma
Old 11-03-2016, 03:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

Try polylinecorp: http://www.polylinecorp.com/Category..._Packaged.aspx
Old 02-28-2017, 06:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

Go to checkoutstore.com and take a look. They have bulk quantities of T-60 tapes in lots of 10 to 500 available. No slip covers, just plain tapes, but beggars can't be choosers.
http://www.checkoutstore.com/Standar...FQ5EfgodajsDtQ