Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-21-2014, 05:53 AM
I love old stuff

Turnatables (Record players) with magnetic cartridge and valves

There where ever made turnatables (record players) with magnetic cartridge and valves (electronic tubes)?
Old 02-21-2014, 11:44 AM
VideoKarma Member

Here is a thread about the Columbia 360. Perhaps this is close to what you are looking for?
http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/...p?f=9&t=170624
The earlier 1952 model apparently had a magnetic cartridge... the one shown does not.
jr

Just found an article in march 1953 Audio Engineering By Dr. Goldmark (CBS) that shows a ceramic cartridge in the 360... so perhaps rumors of a GE magnetic cartridge are not true. http://americanradiohistory.com/Arch...o-1953-Mar.pdf

Last edited by jr_tech; 02-21-2014 at 03:27 PM. Reason: add info
Old 02-21-2014, 12:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

Magnetic cartridges were used in hi-fi applications,
And portable record players almost always not hi-fi.
Lots of tube based component stereos with magnetic
Cartridges
Though
Old 02-21-2014, 03:33 PM
I love old stuff

I dind't asked about portable t.t. I was asking about good sound/Hi.-Fi. for home use: up to unleas 14 k.Hz. audio, light aluminium arm with contraweight/adjustable weight
Old 02-21-2014, 03:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

In that case, google is your friend.... Many have been made,
And many still being made.
Audiokarma
Old 02-21-2014, 03:45 PM
M is for Memory

The first electronic phono pickups were magnetic.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 02-22-2014, 03:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

Most tube record players and even consoles had ceramic cartridges. Some ceramics really sounded good, although good ones are becoming hard to find. I have high end Motorola console with a Sonotone 9t ceramic that sounds wonderful.
Most of the tube players with magnetic cartridges Ive seen are from the early to mid 50s, using the GE RPX mono cartridge. The early version of the Columbia 360 has one, along with a Webcor changer and push pull 6v6 amplifier. Later versions had series string amps and ceramic cartridges. The main competition to the Columbia 360 series was the Webcor Musicale, most of those have magnetic cartridges, but even Webcor switched to ceramic cartridges after about 1956. ive recently aquired both an early 360 and 2 webcor Musicales, I cant wait to get them restored and see what they sound like. Some of the real high end consoles, like Pilot and Fisher, probably used magnetic cartridges.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:27 AM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

High end consoles like the Fisher, better Pilots, and Ampex offered magnetics. Usually with these makes, the cheaper models did not, the upper end did. When Stereo came into being, the Magnetic cartridges worthy for Stereo were pricey. The Shure M3D was $60 list then as was the Pickering of the day. And the compact phono market was very price point oriented. The upper end mono era phonographs had the GE RPX and VR II which was not only superb, but inexpensive. GE didn't get a Stereo magnetic comparable to that until 1961-1962. By then they lost their dominance.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

GE made many phonographs with their own Magnetic cartridge. It was the first low-cost post war magnetic cart. design. Other manufacturers used it also, as it was relatively cheap. There were several designs of these, some with 2 styli (33 and 78), some with just one stylus. By the mid-1950's, ceramic carts. were good enough to work well in the lower cost designs of most manufacturers. And they were cheaper than the GE carts.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

[QUOTE=Olorin67;3096396]"Most tube record players and even consoles had ceramic cartridges. Some ceramics really sounded good, although good ones are becoming hard to find. I have high end Motorola console with a Sonotone 9t ceramic that sounds wonderful"

I am curious to know how the sound quality of the Sonotone 9T compares to that of the 8T(the red one). I have a 1959 Motorola SH18G "portable"(at about 50 lbs) which uses the 8T. It sounds quite good, especially on 78s. However it tracks at between 6-8 grams, according to the owner's manual. What is the tracking force range on the 9T, & how big an improvement was it over the 8T. When was it first made? I've seen an awful lot of late 1950s-c.1960 players that use the 8T. It must have sold quite well in its time.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:36 AM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

Magnetic cartridges which tracked at light weights were first integrated mono tonearm/cartridge combinations like the Shure Dynetic in 1957. Which was installed on a separate manual turntable. Together, anywhere from $129 to $300 depending on choices. SME didn't introduce the 3009 arm until 1960. Which was the first modern type tonearm like what we use now. Which replaced many tonearms like the Rek-O-Kut Micropoise and the Grays. Which really were broadcast tonearms just as much. The first aluminum light tonearm like we use today was the SME 3009 S2 Improved of 1970.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:58 AM
VideoKarma Member

The 9t series did track lighter than the 8t, there were several variations of each. Some tracked lighter. I think the best 9t was in the 3-4 gram range, most were 5-6 I think.
sonotone recommended an input circuit to be used with these for the flattest response, the circuits were different between the 8t and 9t. If you google Sonotone cartridges you might find a site about them that has the circuit for the 9t. I have a copy of the 8t circuit that was included in a NOS cart i bought. i havnt done real comparisons in sound quality between the two, but the 8t in a VM 581 i have sounded pretty good, and Im sure VM would have bothered to use the right input circuit for best sound. The specs do show a big difference in the channel separation between the two. The 8t was Sonotones first hasty attempt at a stereo cartridge, and they seem to have improved the 9t. The input circuit for the 9t had fewer components, so it must have needed less correction to give a flat response. Keep in mind these input circuits are for higgh impedance tube grid circuits, and probably wont work right in a modern SS amp that has a lot lower input impedance. For that matter, most ceramic cartriges wont give full frequency response feeding into a modern SS amp, they really need 1-4 megs of input impedance.

Last edited by Olorin67; 06-05-2014 at 12:07 PM.