Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-04-2017, 07:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'm not a fan of the cold.I better start digging my way into the cut grass/leave pile to keep warm this winter like the frog I disturbed a few days ago in the the cut grass/leave pile.The poor thing launched out and hopped across the lawn like Grant took Richmond for cover. He was pretty big too.The same thing happen a few years ago when I disturbed a garter snake around this time as i was raking around the tree in the front yard.If he/she was a venomous snake .I'll be running for cover.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:25 PM
<----Zenith C845

I am 30 miles east of Cleveland and about a mile from the south shore of Lake Erie. Our winters can be bad (we had a horrendous blizzard in 1978), but it usually isn't too terrible. When the wind blows in off the lake, it can get very cold, sometimes below zero (but not as cold as in Minnesota, and I don't want to think how cold it gets in International Falls). The last time I remember the temperature that cold around here was a year or two ago, when I think it dropped to -15 for a day or so. Being as close to the lake as I am, I've gotten used to this type of cold snap, and yes, we did have one snowstorm a couple years ago that dumped about six inches of the white stuff on our town, but mostly we don't get that much. Since snowstorms ordinarily go for high elevation areas, this town normally won't see a lot but there have been exceptions. There is an area (Geauga County, Ohio), about 10 miles south of here, however, in which high snow accumulations are the rule rather than the exception. The area gets so much snow (more than we do) because its elevation is very high. The same thing happens west of Cleveland in some areas, again due to the higher elevation, although as a rule there is much less snow west of the city during anything but a severe storm or blizzard. During the blizzard of 1978, much of Cleveland and surrounding areas were all but shut down (I personally had a foot of snow in front of my garage door, and my next-door neighbor had snow halfway up the side door of her house). It was truly a blizzard not to be forgotten, and believe me, if you went through it, you would never forget it! I know I won't.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

We finally dropped below 0c this morning. Thermometer was reading -0.7.
We typically do not see wet winters here. The snow tends to be quite dry and blows about when you get a few good days of cold, so as soon as the leaves fall you should be shutting down, tarping up and winterizing anything that you don't want to get filled with snow. What that does mean however is that humidity rarely goes above 30% unless a Pineapple Express rolls through.
We had a nice and cold winter last year. We were seeing -25 as late as February.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

The way this years hurricanes hit everybody down south.I think we up here in New England will get its share of blizzards this winter.
Old 10-04-2017, 10:32 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

This again already?! Holy crap!

I'm seriously considering getting a "I love winter" button for my coat just to stop complete strangers from complaining to me. I just started going outside again without actually needing to.

I just got a vintage Kenmore window A/C unit and chances are I'll be getting a second one. The classifieds were loaded with A/C units fairly recently but very few were worth buying. If I have to put up with the heat I'm doing so in style. I grabbed a newer one for free nearby back in June, the ad said it wasn't cooling like it used to but it got us through the summer. Once I got the Kenmore and verified it working I contacted an independent recycler to haul the other one away. The stuffed shirts running the provincial recycling program are way too picky about what they'll take.

It IS easy being green as long as one knows how to turn a wrench and isn't wasteful.

Last edited by Jon A.; 10-05-2017 at 01:31 AM. Reason: Typo
Audiokarma
Old 10-04-2017, 11:53 PM
The Resident Brony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
I just got a vintage Kenmore window A/C unit and chances are I'll be getting a second one. The classifieds were loaded with A/C units fairly recently but very few were worth buying.
We have central air, but I still pick up any window units I come across. 9 times out of 10, if it doesn't work, it's just because the condenser is filled with dirt. Nothing a garden hose can't fix in 5 minutes. I think I've literally seen... like 2 window units with bad compressors. Scores of them with dirty condensers.
Old 10-05-2017, 01:45 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMan View Post
We have central air, but I still pick up any window units I come across. 9 times out of 10, if it doesn't work, it's just because the condenser is filled with dirt. Nothing a garden hose can't fix in 5 minutes. I think I've literally seen... like 2 window units with bad compressors. Scores of them with dirty condensers.
The compressor in the one I got rid of was fine. I flushed out the condenser and evaporator coils even though they didn't look dirty and straightened the bent condenser fins which made no appreciable difference. At the end of the season I stored it in a closet which caused a weird odor in there. Once it was out of there for a couple of days and the floor mopped the smell was gone. Slow refrigerant leak perhaps? It was Chinese-made and used R410A, nothing to sneeze at anyway.

Now if something goes wrong with the old Kenmore it'll be worth fixing to me.
Old 10-05-2017, 03:00 AM
VideoKarma Member

Our plains winters can be variable. Last year was mostly warm and dry. We never had more than 1 inch of snow per session. It's forecast to be the same this winter. Don't get me wrong; I love snow especially heavy snow. Here in the "sticks" it looks it Currier and Ives during big snows. Most of you are still in the workforce and dread heavy snow including cleanup. I don't blame you. If you get snowbound turn on the TV and watch Christmas DVDs.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:27 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post

I'm seriously considering getting a "I love winter" button for my coat just to stop complete strangers from complaining to me. I just started going outside again without actually needing to.
Depending on the local culture that might actually get ya more jazz from the man on the street...

You should visit Florida in about mid January when it's coldest (50's-60's) everybody is dressed in sweaters and jackets and complaining about freezing their buts off...It is kinda funny seeing that when ya come from 4 seasons land (Frankie Valley not included ).

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 10-05-2017, 11:40 AM
VideoKarma Member

Yeah than goodness for cheap and plentiful natural gas, and well insulated houses! Pretty soon the furnace will be working overtime keeping the house nice and cozy.

I think a lot of the dislike for cold has to do with being poorly prepared for it.. If you've got good insulation, a good heating system, warm clothes, lined boots, and remember to warm up your car, it isn't so bad.,

I always like how winter kills all the bugs, and germs... I figure it's like a natural sterilization process to keep everything in check. As much as I can complain about the cold, I tend to get sick every time I spend too much time in a hot climate.
Audiokarma
Old 10-05-2017, 03:48 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Depending on the local culture that might actually get ya more jazz from the man on the street...

You should visit Florida in about mid January when it's coldest (50's-60's) everybody is dressed in sweaters and jackets and complaining about freezing their buts off...It is kinda funny seeing that when ya come from 4 seasons land (Frankie Valley not included ).
Yet another good way to weed out the undesirables. Besides, I rarely visit the downtown area.

I'm not going anywhere near Florida. Temperatures aside it's a lot like where I am already, attracting a lot of retirees but not much else.