Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-04-2016, 10:23 AM
Motorola Minion

Great observations here.

The tube IFs of Zeniths using the 6EJ7-6EH7 were higher gain than RCA's tube IF but the Zenith SS starting w/1970 seemed to up the whole game. Experience does bear this out:

My grandparents had a 20X1C38 on an antenna in S. FLA and my fuzzy memory recalls it was a tad bit grainy oven on strong channels. But the Zenith's brightness, focus and stable HV hid that fact somewhat.
I had a 1969 Zenith (16Z8C50) on Storer cable in Dallas and the picture was not as good as some SS-IF strip Zenith sets probably for this reason. Its easier to notice grainy HF video and snow on a 23" set versus a smaller set too
Old 11-04-2016, 10:49 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post
Great observations here.

The tube IFs of Zeniths using the 6EJ7-6EH7 were higher gain than RCA's tube IF but the Zenith SS starting w/1970 seemed to up the whole game. Experience does bear this out:

My grandparents had a 20X1C38 on an antenna in S. FLA and my fuzzy memory recalls it was a tad bit grainy oven on strong channels. But the Zenith's brightness, focus and stable HV hid that fact somewhat.
I had a 1969 Zenith (16Z8C50) on Storer cable in Dallas and the picture was not as good as some SS-IF strip Zenith sets probably for this reason. Its easier to notice grainy HF video and snow on a 23" set versus a smaller set too
In late 1969, a good friend bought a 23" Zenith with the first Chromacolor CRT, a 12A12C52 chassis.
The picture on that set just knocked me over, it was that good! They ran the set for 14 years, with very little repairs. I did all the work on it, which was very little.