Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi All;
Just a note, I am sure Glad that I used BOTH the Bulb and the Variac for my initial power up, I think it might have saved my Transformers butt as well as mine.. Since the Bulb was glowing brightly, yet not in later tests with just the Rectifier.. Which also shows it had too much load or short..
THANK YOU Marty
Old 03-04-2013, 02:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geist View Post
Hi All;
Just a note, I am sure Glad that I used BOTH the Bulb and the Variac for my initial power up, I think it might have saved my Transformers butt as well as mine.. Since the Bulb was glowing brightly, yet not in later tests with just the Rectifier.. Which also shows it had too much load or short..
THANK YOU Marty
What wattage was the Bulb you were using? If it was low wattage (25 or 40 watt) it probably lit fairly bright from the heater load of all the tubes.
Typically, a 'dim bulb' setup will use bulbs of different wattages (something like 25, 40, 75, 100 and maybe 150). A high wattage bulb will barely glow (if at all) at normal current draw whereas lower wattage bulbs will glow brighter at normal draw.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi All;
Old Coot, I have been using a 40 Watt Bulb, But remember I stated I had only two tubes Plugged in Both 5U4's, and at present only One 5U4 is plugged in, I am working my way down the Cap and Choke coil and Cap line.. I am waitng for my Iron to warm up to take out another wire, so I only have Cap Choke and Cap hooked in..
THANK YOU Marty
Old 03-04-2013, 03:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

Is there any chance one of the replacement electrolytics could've got installed backwards?
I been looking at the schematic posted by Vts1134 in another thread in another forum. Is this the same schematic you're using? If so, it incorrectly shows C220C with its negative side to ground and its positive side to the negative 100V supply rail. I.e., it's shown backward.
If connected as shown in the schematic, it would definitely be a problem.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi All;
Old Coot, Yes, it is the same Schematic.. I cannot take that Cap apart, again it would destroy it.. But, I can unwire that one from ground and install an external Cap.. All three Caps in that Can are wired with common Negative connection..
THANK YOU Marty
Audiokarma
Old 03-04-2013, 04:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi All;
All I have at present is one Electrolytic Cap that is 350 Volt at 10 MFD.. It calls for a 150 Volt at 80 MFD.. I could try the 10 MFD just to see If it makes any difference.. While disconnecting the one in the Can.. I am going to look at the old Can and see IF it has that one cap internally wired Backward in reference to the others..
THANK YOU Marty
Old 03-04-2013, 05:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi All;
Old Coot, I just looked at the Can and it has (as near as I can tell) the negative as the common point.. I also, Just looked at the Sams and It also shows that the + (positive) side of that cap going to Ground..
On another Cap the (C225) on the Riders, When C225A is connected to Cap C221B, then the voltage goes LOW, about 45 volts at 120 volt input to the transformer, But when C225 is not connected to C221B, the the Voltage is about 230 volts, still slightly low, by 70 Volts, but that could just be my Rectifier, since they are all old Tubes.. So when C225 is connected either what is connected on the other side of it or the other Cap, Is pulling things down.. I have yet to disconnect the rest of the wires from C225 to see IF it has any affect on the Voltage Dropping..
THANK YOU Marty