Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-01-2016, 11:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Early '70's 19" Panasonic B&W TV

Today, I went to a new junk outlet and among the piles of modern CRT TV's, there was this 19" Panasonic B&W. He said that it sort of worked; but, I always take such claims with a grain of salt. I gave him the $10 he wanted and this is the first time in many years that I've found a 19" B&W set of any kind in a second-hand store.

I got it home and except for the tube filaments lighting, it's totally dead. When I pulled the back, the fusible resistor in the power supply has pretty much vaporized itself and the CRT checks weak (this is an instant on set).

I'm holding off on rejuvenating the tube because I'm going to do a youtube video on the repair of this set. As is, it would make a picture; but, not a very good one.

Since this set has the modern Panasonic logo, I'd say it's from '72-'73. Cosmetically, it needs a bath and one of the antennas is broken.

Old 07-02-2016, 01:33 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotvnut View Post
Since this set has the modern Panasonic logo, I'd say it's from '72-'73. Cosmetically, it needs a bath and one of the antennas is broken.
That's the oldest set I've seen with the modern Panasonic logo. I didn't think it was on anything from the tube era.
Old 07-02-2016, 07:38 AM
Peanut Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishdude View Post
That's the oldest set I've seen with the modern Panasonic logo. I didn't think it was on anything from the tube era.
Me too!

Let me live in the house beside the road and be a friend to man.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:19 AM
VideoKarma Member

I'll admit that when I first saw it, I thought it was solid state. I used to have a solid state Panasonic B&W that was very similar.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:51 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishdude View Post
My late '71 Panasonic 12" hybrid color set has the same logo. When I first looked at it, I thought it was all solid state, as they seemed to use the same cabinet styling for a few years running.
Audiokarma
Old 07-02-2016, 09:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

[QUOTE=radiotvnut;3165573]Today, I went to a new junk outlet and among the piles of modern CRT TV's, there was this 19" Panasonic B&W. He said that it sort of worked; but, I always take such claims with a grain of salt. I gave him the $10 he wanted and this is the first time in many years that I've found a 19" B&W set of any kind in a second-hand store.

I got it home and except for the tube filaments lighting, it's totally dead. When I pulled the back, the fusible resistor in the power supply has pretty much vaporized itself and the CRT checks weak (this is an instant on set).

I'm holding off on rejuvenating the tube because I'm going to do a youtube video on the repair of this set. As is, it would make a picture; but, not a very good one.

QUOTE]
I see the fusible resistor has been replaced once before.
It also has the spring type pigtail fuse connections, that were available to use a standard fuse.
It also looks like a three stage IF strip.
Old 07-03-2016, 12:08 PM
Followin' the Rules...

'Tis either an AN219A or AN229A - the non-A versions had the early logo. There was a later AN249/A, but I seem to recall those having a dark removable sunshield...differences in the 219/229 are only in the trim level - they all had the same innards.

Your open resistor is a dual, 3 ohms and 37 ohms. You'll notice the diode across the on-off switch - that provides the bypass for the instant-on feature. Cut the diode out if you want to kill the instant on. We did it all the time on those sets - a real CRT killer. BTW, the CRT is most likely either a 500JB4 or a 19VDGP4 (the worse of the two). That pigtail should be a 2-Ampere fuse.

Panasonic issued a bunch of mods for these sets - the 16" and 19" sets had vertical problems, mostly with the vertical output transformers opening. There was also a mod for fringe vertical hold issues, and changed the values of a couple of resistors in the vertical (300-series parts, IIRC).

What is the last two letters on the fly? DS=flammable type and PS=non-flammable type. Panasonic had a couple of these burn up flybacks and start a house fire in '71, so the "A" models had the new flys, and the non-A models had a "replace-at-next-service" replacement program for the flybacks. One of the vendors in the back of Radio Electronics apparently got the excess "DS" flybacks, and you could buy them for a buck each for a year or so. All the markings were removed, but a little sleuthing found out what they were.

Good sets, save for the junk CRT, and the CRT-killing instant-on....

Cheers,
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 07-03-2016, 01:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findm-Keepm View Post
'Tis either an AN219A or AN229A - the non-A versions had the early logo. There was a later AN249/A, but I seem to recall those having a dark removable sunshield...differences in the 219/229 are only in the trim level - they all had the same innards.

Your open resistor is a dual, 3 ohms and 37 ohms. You'll notice the diode across the on-off switch - that provides the bypass for the instant-on feature. Cut the diode out if you want to kill the instant on. We did it all the time on those sets - a real CRT killer. BTW, the CRT is most likely either a 500JB4 or a 19VDGP4 (the worse of the two). That pigtail should be a 2-Ampere fuse.

Panasonic issued a bunch of mods for these sets - the 16" and 19" sets had vertical problems, mostly with the vertical output transformers opening. There was also a mod for fringe vertical hold issues, and changed the values of a couple of resistors in the vertical (300-series parts, IIRC).

What is the last two letters on the fly? DS=flammable type and PS=non-flammable type. Panasonic had a couple of these burn up flybacks and start a house fire in '71, so the "A" models had the new flys, and the non-A models had a "replace-at-next-service" replacement program for the flybacks. One of the vendors in the back of Radio Electronics apparently got the excess "DS" flybacks, and you could buy them for a buck each for a year or so. All the markings were removed, but a little sleuthing found out what they were.

Cheers,
The set in the picture looks to have the 19VDGP4 CRT.
I didn't think Panasonic products had all those problems.
Old 07-03-2016, 04:16 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
The set in the picture looks to have the 19VDGP4 CRT.
I didn't think Panasonic products had all those problems.
Panasonic issued about 30-40 corrections, mods and service notes each month. As the librarian for my Dad's shop, I used to "juggle" the binders, shifting as the library grew. In one year, we added ten 2" binders, just in "white sheets" - TV mods and service notes (usually corrections to schematics or parts lists). They also issued pink or blue sheets for audio - but changed those to white as well, when they started to shift to microfiche. It seems blue and pink don't photograph well, making the shift to microfiche slow.

Panasonic had a run of bad CRTs - rumor was they bought cheap ones from Clinton or Hitachi and got bad batches. They fixed the problem quickly, as the whole Matsushita name was attached to their acquisition of Quasar. We dropped the warranty work after they started up Quasar - too few sets to mess with. We kept up the library until about 1983 or so. I still have all the microfiche, save the odd audiophile stuff I sold years ago on eBay for $$$.

IIRC, Matsushita settled on 16 warranty stations nationwide for Quasar, and sold 90% of the sets within those areas. Nearest to here was Arlington, VA - just outside of DC, and covered Baltimore as well...
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 07-03-2016, 08:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yes, this has the 19VDGP4 CRT and if I get the set going, I'll remove the instant on diode.
Audiokarma
Old 07-06-2016, 02:29 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findm-Keepm View Post

Cheers,
I'll bet the Radio-Electronics vendor you mention was Brooks Radio TV. I bought an 110 degree RCA fly from them advertised for $3.95. It was a BW fly with brown wax coating. Wish I would have saved it.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

I just acquired one of these sets. Rescued it from the recycle pile! Model says AN-239DCUHF. It has the sun screen. Was dead when I got it, but a new Damper / Output tube cured that.

Does anyone know where to get service info? I've searched the 'net with no luck.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:23 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP6000 View Post
I just acquired one of these sets. Rescued it from the recycle pile! Model says AN-239DCUHF. It has the sun screen. Was dead when I got it, but a new Damper / Output tube cured that.

Does anyone know where to get service info? I've searched the 'net with no luck.
Its in Sams #1154-2
Dont get from Sams. WAY too much $$ and you get a crappy xerox or PDF.
Try for freebee here first. If not contact me, I probably have it for cheep.

73 Zeno
LFOD !