Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Introductions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-29-2015, 02:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

New here, near Charlottesville VA.

I found this forum after doing some research on an old TV I rescued from the dump.

Vintage electronics has been a hobby of mine since childhood. I mostly stick with game consoles and computers, but will take a crack at most anything. I have very little experience with pre 1970 electronics excluding record players and reel to reel audio.

In my current situation its not easy to leave the house for work so I have turned this into a small business called Josh's Comps & Games to help supplement my wife's income. Not doing so well yet between a small market and a capital of $0 to start with.

Anyway back to the TV...

I found this beautiful GE M740WMB at the dump and I could not let it stay there. I can not find any information on it and I want to do the right thing with it. I would love to try a restoration, but I don't want to accidentally use a collectors dream as a Guinea pig so any help would be appreciated. At the current moment it does not power on, which may be a good thing because it seems I would need to do a good inspection before letting the electricity flow anyway. I have not spent much time with it yet, but should have a good amount of time this week.

I've been browsing the forum, seems like a good group here and I am happy to now be a part of it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20151128_140525.jpg (65.3 KB, 38 views)
Old 11-29-2015, 04:42 PM
M is for Memory

Sam's photofacts a main go to for TV service literature gives no hits for the number you posted. Is that number the model (it looks like a GE model number) or chassis number? The chassis number is more useful since most makers stuffed the same chassis in a wide variety of cabinets and gave each cabinet it's own model.
If that is a Canadian market model it may be much more difficult to get service literature.

That is not a rare or holygrail model for most collectors. Most monochrome sets after the mid 50's are not highly valuable or sought after (the exceptions are mid century modern cabinet sets like the Philco Predicta family, the Silvertone Suburbanite, etc. ) so it should be a good learning set.

Go to Phill's old radios web site...He has some good basic info on recapping TVs and radios.

Don't hesitate to ask for advice.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 11-29-2015, 05:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'll open it up tomorrow while kids are at school and cats are locked up and look for a chassis ID. If this TV came from the house I think it did (older neighbor that recently passed) it was most likely bought new in Charlottesville and used until a certain point until it became a buffet stand, TV stand, or etc.

I am glad to hear that it would be a good practice set, because I have wanted to get into CRT repair. I like CRT TV's for all my 80's and 90's media and I know there are quite a few old gamers that keep a collection of CRT's so they can always have one. Adding this skill to Josh's Comps and Games could really help in the future.
Old 11-29-2015, 06:51 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Welcome to the forum! I pass through C-Ville every other weekend (Fri/Sun), along I-64. I have a huge stash of both Sams and a few GE parts, so if you need anything, lemme know. I also have a CRT tester, so if I can be of service....

Cheers,
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 11-29-2015, 08:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Welcome neighbor! I live in Waynesboro
Audiokarma
Old 11-30-2015, 07:24 AM
I like....big sparks!!

Welcome to VK!

Ham shack...AM side: Knight-Kit T-60, RME-45
Vintage SSB side: National 200
Modern SSB: Kenwood TS-180S
MFJ tuner, 130' dipole
Old 11-30-2015, 09:05 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks for the welcome. I can't believe that 2 people are so close, and I've seen more from VA.

I'm going to spend today knocking the "Honey-Do" list then get into this TV tomorrow. I will probably post something, including the chassis number in the B&W section. I have peaked through the vents, it looks a lot cleaner in there then I expected, still a good bit of cleaning to do though.
Old 11-30-2015, 10:18 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

LOVELY part of the state where you're at-I went to U of Richmond in the late Seventies, & I-64 was on my way home... That's the LONGEST 100 miles-From R'mond to I-81, but I guess I was just wantin' to get home..
Old 11-30-2015, 10:36 AM
Analogue is Awesome

Im sorry buddy I didnt even see your thread on this base!! (I usually dont check it I guess)

Its definetly good having you ashore as I said last night slatton