Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Television Broadcast Gear

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

Scored myself a Marconi MK3 camera chain!!! :)

G'day all.

I've just scored myself a Marconi MK3 B&W image orthicon camera chain!!! I bought the camera chain from an ex TV cameraman/technician up in northern Sydney for $100.

This Marconi MK3 was used by ATN-7 Channel 7 Sydney for outdoor broadcasts from about 1956 to 1974 before the changeover to colour. I believe this camera might of even been used to shoot the James Hardie Bathurst races in the 60s and early 70s. On one of the plates is a number 2 so I guess this is camera number 2 out of a fleet of OB cameras used for events. This camera uses a 4.5 inch image orthicon tube which means this is a later model Marconi MK3 as the early models used 3 inch, can anyone here tell me when Marconi MK3 was first changed over from 3 inch to 4.5 inch?

Anyways this camera chain is in a pretty sorry state, well mainly the camera head as it's missing vital parts such as the lens turret, camera cables, beer tap focus handle, turret rotator crank and it is filthy full of dust, dirt, dead spiders and bugs, webs etc. and the paint and plastics and rubber seals are brittle and chipping away and the enclosure looks beaten up, the CCU and PSU on the other hand look to be in much better shape.

Despite the fact this camera is missing vital parts and is in poor condition I have an aspiration to restore this camera to its former glory and working condition bit by bit. First things first is cleaning this camera chain up which I have already started yesterday afternoon when I got the camera home, it will take quite a while and I will keep you’s updated when this camera is cleaned up. Then next step is cosmetic restoration which will be a challenge especially to keep the camera original in terms of looks and to somehow straighten up the bangs in the panel work, and also to locate the missing parts, but I will work it out when I come to that. And then the electronic restoration, that would be the most challenging part and I still got a lot to learn about camera electronics, fortunately I have most of the service manuals which will help me a lot, I guess like with old TVs a lot of the paper caps will need to be replaced with drop caps and the electrolytic caps with new equivalents.

So this new toy of mine will keep me busy for a while and I haven’t forgotten about my other projects I mentioned such as the solid state vidicon and IO camera, those are still in the works.

Here are some pictures of my Marconi MK3 camera chain.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg marconimk3a.jpg (73.4 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg marconimk3b.jpg (73.2 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg marconimk3c.jpg (57.7 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg marconimk3d.jpg (67.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg marconimk3e.jpg (79.2 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg marconimk3f.jpg (75.0 KB, 23 views)
Old 01-21-2011, 04:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have made a video showing the camera chain and it's controls and it can be viewed here on YouTube in two parts:
Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmmD1A5IJng
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3V_nmdTDKY
Old 01-21-2011, 10:25 PM
RCA 741PCS

That looks like a very cool camera and quite a challenge. Good luck!
Old 01-24-2011, 12:56 AM
VideoKarma Member

Nice historic logo. You need another one for parts.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:44 AM
VideoKarma Member

As a kid, saw these (same model?) running in early 60's @ ch 7 Bris when in audience for live show. Was peering at studio monitors that had spectacular camera fixed shots between takes--noise free ultra high resolution emerging from velvet blackness with halo enhancement, the best monochrome you'll ever see. One segment on monitor had Brian Tait ready to do a live cigarette commercial. The way the big Image Orthicon captured the drifting smoke was amazing & unforgetable.

Couldn't see same resolution or blacks at home as our (typically poor performing) TV didn't have DC restoration
Audiokarma
Old 01-24-2011, 03:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

Nice find, it's sure to keep you busy for a long time trying to get it sorted out. I wish you luck in tracking down the missing parts. Finding parts for vintage consumer electronics is hard enough, for broadcast equipment it must be near impossible.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:59 AM
VideoKarma Member

Great Find

Great find in 2011 .

I think that you are in the same boat as me .I am also looking for the Beer Handle & Lens Changer & Lens .I think will have to make Handels .

Last edited by XDCAM; 01-25-2011 at 03:52 AM.