Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-19-2016, 06:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

You guys must have WAY better AV gear and eyes than me. Bye.
Old 09-20-2016, 09:43 AM
Stuck in the past!

No need to get mad. It is what it is. 20 years for the DVD format is long enough in my book. I'm sick of seeing scratched up discs at thrift and pawn shops for $2 and $3. You know they wont work half the time. Same thing happened with video games. Cartridges were more reliable and handled better with children. I see so many games on the shelf now that look like they were never stored in they're cases. Bottom line: I'm always going to stand up for older, more reliable, better built items. Same reason I drive a 37 year old car. Hardly ever have to do anything to it. just try to show a love for most things and not just the digital junk that's taking over. The high definition tv thing is the biggest joke yet. Crt should have remained standard in every home.
Old 09-20-2016, 11:38 AM
M is for Memory

There are polishing systems for discs...I once got a sub 1$ kit at ACE hardware to try making a 'dirty' DVD I found in the woods play...It had been out there a long time and was so scratched it looked like someone had took sand paper to it...I was able to make it play decently.
Better players will be able to play worse discs.

It does seem some products have lost quality.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 09-21-2016, 09:20 AM
Stuck in the past!

Yes. The Gamexchange here has a polishing machine here. When I worked at a game store, we had one. Actually went through two of them. Cost was up in the 4 digit range. Quality hasn't been much of a concern lately. For example, my mother in law and my sister in law both have wen through countless cheap microwave oven from WalMart. They might last a year or two. I have one from 1978 and two vintage Amana Radaranges from around that time. Bothe are chromed out with stainless steel interior. Only thing they needed were new bulbs. These are over 30 years old and still going. I bought all 3 of these at separate times. In the event one does quit, I can use one of the others while I repair it. High quality, well built, and tough as hell. Not like the $60 and $100 junk at WalMart. I don't trust the flat screens either. Most from what I've heard are built to last the warranty. After that, the set quits and your stuck.
Most non-repairable. I have a refrigerator from 1984 that works great. I also have a black and silver refrigerator that I picked up for free. Only thing wrong was the fan blades fell off the spindle in the back of the freezer. Since then, I've already had to replace the start/run cap on the compressor. $15 part. Not bad for a 2005 model though.
Old 09-30-2016, 01:54 AM
Analogue is Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by pac.attack76
No need to get mad. It is what it is. 20 years for the DVD format is long enough in my book. I'm sick of seeing scratched up discs at thrift and pawn shops for $2 and $3. You know they wont work half the time. Same thing happened with video games. Cartridges were more reliable and handled better with children. I see so many games on the shelf now that look like they were never stored in they're cases. Bottom line: I'm always going to stand up for older, more reliable, better built items. Same reason I drive a 37 year old car. Hardly ever have to do anything to it. just try to show a love for most things and not just the digital junk that's taking over. The high definition tv thing is the biggest joke yet. Crt should have remained standard in every home.
Gosh I love ya Pac!!!!! -- You sound alot like me (You and centralradio,etc... )

Last edited by Dude111; 09-30-2016 at 09:25 AM.
Audiokarma
Old 09-30-2016, 09:11 AM
Stuck in the past!

just another brother in arms.
Old 09-30-2016, 01:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pac.attack76 View Post
just another brother in arms.
I just recently picked up from Goodwill a 1983 Amana Radarange Microwave that still works yet, all it needed was a new lightbulb, I had picked it up for my sister so she could have a microwave for her apartment she just bought, but she passed on it because she thought it was too big, so she opted for a $30 Sunbeam microwave from target (lets see that microwave last her nearly as long as this Radarange has lasted.) What I found hilarious was that my sister when she got her new microwave she complained about how short the cord was on it, and I was thinking to myself "well if you would of taken the Amana Microwave I picked up for you, cord length wouldn't of been an issue!" Also My sister's kitchen in her apartment has kind of limited counter space (which is why I kind of understand why she passed on the Radarange) but she could of just sat it in the corner where it would of been out of the way (the counters are arranged in an "L" shape with a rather deep corner section which would of fit that Radarange just fine and she would of still had plenty of counter space yet), once her $30 microwave dies she'll probably be asking me if I still have the Radarange yet and I'll say "Yes I do" (which its currently being stored in the back seat of my car because the sucker is too big for me to get into my basement without having to take the railings off.)
Old 10-01-2016, 07:55 PM
Analogue is Awesome

Today I got

Romeo Must Die (2000) - I have this recorded from DirecTV also but the pic and sound arent that good.. This one is much better
Old 10-01-2016, 10:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainclock View Post
I just recently picked up from Goodwill a 1983 Amana Radarange Microwave that still works yet, all it needed was a new lightbulb, I had picked it up for my sister so she could have a microwave for her apartment she just bought, but she passed on it because she thought it was too big, so she opted for a $30 Sunbeam microwave from target (lets see that microwave last her nearly as long as this Radarange has lasted.) What I found hilarious was that my sister when she got her new microwave she complained about how short the cord was on it, and I was thinking to myself "well if you would of taken the Amana Microwave I picked up for you, cord length wouldn't of been an issue!" Also My sister's kitchen in her apartment has kind of limited counter space (which is why I kind of understand why she passed on the Radarange) but she could of just sat it in the corner where it would of been out of the way (the counters are arranged in an "L" shape with a rather deep corner section which would of fit that Radarange just fine and she would of still had plenty of counter space yet), once her $30 microwave dies she'll probably be asking me if I still have the Radarange yet and I'll say "Yes I do" (which its currently being stored in the back seat of my car because the sucker is too big for me to get into my basement without having to take the railings off.)
I always remember when Amana had their Radarange Microwave ovens on the Price is Right and other game shows in that era.These oldie micros run forever and not like these $60 buck jobs from Walmart that burn out in two years.I have a Panasonic from my mother here that still runs but its starting to rust out in parts.I have to look for another one soon.
Old 10-01-2016, 10:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
There are polishing systems for discs...I once got a sub 1$ kit at ACE hardware to try making a 'dirty' DVD I found in the woods play...It had been out there a long time and was so scratched it looked like someone had took sand paper to it...I was able to make it play decently.
Better players will be able to play worse discs.

It does seem some products have lost quality.
I never tried any of that .I just use mild dish soap and lukewarm water to wash the CD's or DVDs off.I do the same with my vinyl.I salvage some side of the road CDs DVDs doing that.
Audiokarma
Old 10-01-2016, 10:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralradio View Post
I always remember when Amana had their Radarange Microwave ovens on the Price is Right and other game shows in that era.These oldie micros run forever and not like these $60 buck jobs from Walmart that burn out in two years.I have a Panasonic from my mother here that still runs but its starting to rust out in parts.I have to look for another one soon.
If you're interested my Radarange Microwave is for sale since my mom didn't like the idea of me storing the unit until I get moved into my own place (right now I'm renting and they have a crappy $80 GE Over-the-Range Microwave, so I can't use it in my current place.) I'd let you have my Radarange microwave for $30.
Old 10-01-2016, 10:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainclock View Post
If you're interested my Radarange Microwave is for sale since my mom didn't like the idea of me storing the unit until I get moved into my own place (right now I'm renting and they have a crappy $80 GE Over-the-Range Microwave, so I can't use it in my current place.) I'd let you have my Radarange microwave for $30.
Thanks for the offer.If I live closer to you . I would come and take it tomorrow but I 'm here in Connecticut.It would cost a fortune to ship it here.I know about storage issues .I would try to hold on to it for a backup in case the GE stops working.
Old 10-02-2016, 02:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralradio View Post
Thanks for the offer.If I live closer to you . I would come and take it tomorrow but I 'm here in Connecticut.It would cost a fortune to ship it here.I know about storage issues .I would try to hold on to it for a backup in case the GE stops working.
Alright it was worth a try. Anyways I guess we should try and get this forum back on topic.
Old 10-12-2016, 03:14 PM
Stuck in the past!

I'm nearing the 1000 mark on VHS. Just picked up a few more a few days ago including the original Amityville Horror.
Old 10-21-2016, 05:09 AM
Analogue is Awesome

Excellent,very good!!!!!
Audiokarma