Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-11-2015, 07:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

making the spring stronger will lessen the tracking force, the spring counteracts the weight of the tonearm. that cartridge will need at least 6-7 grams , lighter than that will cause mistracking, sounds bad and hard on the records. NOS cartridges are highly likely to be bad, unless the seller tests and guarantees them. I know someone who bought a whole case of NOS 89Ts, every single one was bad...
Old 12-11-2015, 09:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Often if one end of the spring can be removed one can edit down the spring by chopping a few coils off, bending the end to hook on the old connection point, testing tracking force and repeating if necessary.
By the looks of that clip that's attaching the spring though it looks like it wasn't meant to be adjusted, and I've seen some of those types of clips before, they're not meant to be removed and reintalled again because when you remove it, you have to replace it with a new one or just not remove the original, which is why I said it probably wasn't meant to be removed or readjusted.

Last edited by Captainclock; 12-11-2015 at 09:26 PM.
Old 12-11-2015, 11:49 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainclock View Post
By the looks of that clip that's attaching the spring though it looks like it wasn't meant to be adjusted, and I've seen some of those types of clips before, they're not meant to be removed and reintalled again because when you remove it, you have to replace it with a new one or just not remove the original, which is why I said it probably wasn't meant to be removed or readjusted.
The top spring post looks the way you describe (I would not mess with that one), but the bottom looks like the spring is probably merely hooked on it....At least to me.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 12-18-2015, 09:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

I purchased a new cartridge and shortened the spring a bit and now it seems to be working much better! Again, thanks for the help.

I have another problem though... I have a flip cartridge (81T) and both sides say "LP". Both side say "LP" on my 89TX as well. Both needles look the same to me. The cartridges only mount one way. Can anyone confirm which side is for 78s and which is for LPs?
Old 12-19-2015, 12:12 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb12 View Post
I purchased a new cartridge and shortened the spring a bit and now it seems to be working much better! Again, thanks for the help.

I have another problem though... I have a flip cartridge (81T) and both sides say "LP". Both side say "LP" on my 89TX as well. Both needles look the same to me. The cartridges only mount one way. Can anyone confirm which side is for 78s and which is for LPs?
Neither is specifically for 78's....There were ones with one side of the turnover as 78 and others with both as 33....There were library of congress talking book (for the blind) phonos that only played 33, 16, and 7(or 8) RPM microgroove records that were better served with a second stylus for when the other 33 one wore out, than a 78 that would damage an LP....It is fairly safe to play a 78 with a LP type styli...It will be smaller than the groove and thus add more noise scraping the bottom of the groove and bouncing within it.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma
Old 12-19-2015, 09:52 AM
VideoKarma Member

When looking at the unit from the front, the LP tip is available when the lever is on the left side. The 78 tip is available when the lever is on the right side. The best way to tell if you truly have either dual LP tips or LP/78 tips is to play a portion of a 78 with the LP tip and then play the same record with the other tip. If the other tip sounds less noisy, you have an LP/78 cartridge.