Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Magnavox "tail bracket" cartridges

In the photo below, the cartridge on the left is the original dud cartridge out of a '66 Astro-Sonic with the newer silver changer with metal tonearm. The cartridge on the right is a current Pfanstiehl replacement; which, is nothing more than a "crosley cartridge" with a bracket glued to it.

The new cartridge is supposed to sub for the old one; but, it's not happening in my case. The new cartridge is slightly wider than the old one and is twice as thick; so, the bracket won't come close to being flush with the tonearm mounting hole. I really wish that if these manufacturers are going to make a substitute cartridge that they'd make it just like the original, instead of slapping a metal bracket on the rear of one of their standard "crosley cartridges."

On the VM website, Gary has a '70's-era EV cartridge with a flip over stylus that's supposed to be a direct replacement for these older cartridges (the wiring harness is also included with the cartridge). I suspect that one would be the best overall choice and I may order one, unless you have some other suggestions.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:14 AM
David Thomas

I would order one from VM. I have heard very positive things about their products and service. In fact, I'm going to order a replacement cartridge for my '64 Astro-Sonic from the VM website. Mine has the thicker, black tonearm so it uses the wider style cartridge with the short bracket on top.

Besides, I have read that the "Crosley style" cartridges are pretty much trash. In fact, I have read very little good things about the newer parts made by Pfansteihl.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

By bending the bracket a little, I managed to install the cartridge without amputating parts of the tonearm; however, I can't recommend this cartridge for a mid-to-higher end unit. It would probably be OK for a portable; but, even to my untrained ears, I can't detect very much low end or high end. On my junker test LP, I'm not noticing any immediate record destruction; but, I haven't tried a styrene 45, yet. So, if you have a lower end portable, this cartridge might work for you. If you have something better; then, you might want to look into something better.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:31 PM
David Thomas

I went to the VM website this afternoon and found an exact replacement for the old style (what I need). They were sold out of the original style cartridge with the long tail, and only has the "Crosley" style replacements. They did note that it had to have more clearance to fit properly.

I'd guess in the future we can expect to have a harder time finding exact replacement cartridges, especially the ceramic ones.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

Was it the "KMGVX" cartridge on the cartridge kits page that he was sold out of? This is the '70's EV replacement that he sells, with the correct wiring harness, that's supposed to replace the older "tail" cartridges. I'm going to let this current stereo go with the cheap cartridge; but, for any future ones, I'm ordering the $28 "KMGVX" kit (if he still has them).
Audiokarma
Old 02-17-2014, 06:26 PM
David Thomas

The one they were sold out of is an EV 275D. I believe this one is the early generation of the long tail style Magnavox cartridges. The VM website shows they have the crosley replacement and the newer style replacement EV 5606) with a plastic tail piece. The one with the plastic tail has a little more output, but tracks heavier.

I noticed a NOS Magnavox cartridge like you use on ebay the other day, and I believe they wanted something like $60 or so for it. At the time, I thought that was a bit too high.....maybe not.