Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-22-2014, 01:18 AM
VideoKarma Member

Astatic 89T Vs. Pfanstiehl P228

As I'm sure many of you have figured out by now, I like some of the older classroom record players that use the 89T powerpoint cartridge. Over the years, I've found the quality of replacement cartridges to be all over the place. Some sound fine, some don't, some destroy records instantly, others take longer to wear a record. Back in the '90's, I was getting the gold ones (PRB branded) from the local parts house for around $5. They always kept a good supply of them because the local school district still used record players. Around the early 2000's, the school system moved away from records and got rid of most, if not all, of their record players. So, the local parts house no longer had a need to keep 30 89T's on hand at a time. Once the parts house sold out, I had to rely on ordering them and they have steadily been going up in cost ever since.

I was looking on the VM site and here is what it has to say about the 89T and what's currently available: The tracking range is 6-8 grams and it has 1.3V output. They have the 911-D1 (single sided diamond 1 mil LP mono tip) for $18, D7 (diamond stereo LP) tip for $17, S3 (sapphire 78) tip for $15. All these are single sided and I really don't like the idea of having to swap cartridges between microgroove and 78 rpm records. Also, if I went in this direction, I'd spend a total of $32 to get a diamond LP cartridge and a sapphire 78 cartridge.

As far as the traditional flip style cartridges, he has: 911-SS13 (sapphire 1 mil LP/3mil 78) for $23 and 911-SS73 (sapphire .7 mil LP/3 mil 78) for $22. He no longer has the DS73 (diamond LP/sapphire 78) that was formerly $27 when he still had them.

As you can see, the prices are headed up and I expect them to head even further up as the supply decreases. Since there are so many of these players still in use, I suspect the day will soon come when all Gary will have will be the current production red and green single tipped cartridges.

So, looking at alternatives, I found the Pfanstiehl P228 (Varco TN8U) that is a "traditional" stereo cartridge that also is designed to track in the 6-8 gram range and kicks out .9V; which, should be close enough to the 1.3V that the 89T kicks out. Obviously, since this is a stereo cartridge, I'd have to wire the output in parallel for use in the mono players and I think this cartridge would be more compliant than the 89T. Looking at tip options and prices, he has the DS73 (diamond LP/sapphire 78) for $21. If I didn't need 78, he has various dual LP-tipped versions for under $20.

All of the tonearms that I would be mounting these in have adjustable counterbalance springs; so, I should be able to get the tracking weight in the correct range. Also, another advantage I see is that with the P228, when I change to the 78 needle, I'm actually flipping the needle and not the whole cartridge holder. On the 89T, flipping the cartridge holder can, over time, break the wires where they solder to the holder (I've seen it happen). With the 89T, when the needle needs to be replaced, one has to change the whole cartridge and there goes another $22. With the P228, all one has to do is replace the stylus with one that only cost a few dollars.

In these school players, they used the 89T because of it's ruggedness and because it is easy to change out the whole cartridge/needle as a unit; however, my record players are not likely to ever be subjected to the abuse of school children again; so, unless you can give me some reasons not to do it, I think my future classroom record player repairs will consist of changing the cartridge from the 89T to the P228.

I will save all of the old 89T holders because I can use them, along with the current green 78 cartridge, in the restoration of 78-only record players.
Old 02-22-2014, 02:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

Ive used the 228 as a replacement for bsr and panasonic mini changers, when the orignal cartridge was bad, and the relacement seemed to sound as good as the original( which is a similar cartridge, not a 89t. it seems to sound OK., and is certainly easier on records than the 89t. I like to play a lot of 78s, so I like to be able to just flip the needle over.