Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Diagnostic & Test Equipment

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-20-2015, 07:24 AM
Administrator

Mouser has special deals if you order quantity too.

Note the price drop on these .047/630V of quantities of 10 or more. Brings the price down from 47 cents to 25 cents.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...NUdl%2ffji8%3d
Old 12-18-2015, 06:49 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post
There's just something about those yellow caps that I don't like. Not the performance, just the looks of them. To me, they just look....bleh . Since they're axial, I imagine they're ideal for restuffing jobs tho.

Boy, I agree with you. I cringe everytime I see the bottom of a chassis dotted with those yellow caps. I only use them for restuffing or other people's sets that I may service.
I also use the Panasonic caps that you mention in this thread. The price is very reasonable in quantitys of 10 or more.
Old 12-18-2015, 06:55 AM
Administrator

Every time I see yellow caps I think, "a radio guy tried his hand at fixing a TV"
Old 12-18-2015, 10:30 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Every time I see yellow caps I think, "a radio guy tried his hand at fixing a TV"
I do agree they don't look the best but I do like the nice long lead lengths, I rarely have to add to them. They also are the cheapest price and when you stock as many as I do price does matter.

Gregb
Old 12-18-2015, 12:08 PM
Administrator

Just under a quarter a piece for .047 uF 630V from Mouser if you order in quantities of 10 or more. I usually buy them 20 at a time.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...NUdl%2ffji8%3d
Old 12-18-2015, 12:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

That's not a bad price and I usually buy 100 at a time so will give them a try. How do the lead lengths compare to the yellows?

Gregb
Old 12-18-2015, 12:36 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
I started as a radio guy and still use the yellow caps. I'm sorta allergic to buying parts online. The cap dealer at the local meets still stocks the extra long lead yellows that have been starting to dry up.

As long as you don't need more than 630V the yellows work as good as anything else...I've been using them for close to 15 years (save for a few years in the middle where I lived away from my source of them) and never had a problem.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 12-18-2015, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregb View Post
That's not a bad price and I usually buy 100 at a time so will give them a try. How do the lead lengths compare to the yellows?

Gregb
I just pulled them from my stock and they're 1 1/4" leads.
Old 12-18-2015, 12:49 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
I started as a radio guy and still use the yellow caps. I'm sorta allergic to buying parts online. The cap dealer at the local meets still stocks the extra long lead yellows that have been starting to dry up.

As long as you don't need more than 630V the yellows work as good as anything else...I've been using them for close to 15 years (save for a few years in the middle where I lived away from my source of them) and never had a problem.
Just a difference in style preference is all. As they say, all roads lead to Rome

We have no brick and mortars around here that stock them, so online for me is the best and easiest way to go.
Old 12-18-2015, 01:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

My only option is to order online, the local stocks dried up years ago. I have been using the yellows for at least 15 years or even more and have never had an issue with them. I have never had a repair come back with a bad cap either.

Gregb
Audiokarma
Old 12-20-2015, 05:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

My problem with the yellow caps, in all early vintage equipment, is that the bright yellow looks out of place. It looks modern. I really don't like seeing orange drops either.
I have been using the same Panasonic capacitors that Kamakiri uses and I love them.
Old 12-20-2015, 10:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

I placed an order for a bunch of the Panasonics and will give them a try. Buying them 100 at a time the price is very reasonable.

Gregb
Old 12-20-2015, 11:46 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Just a reminder - Digi-Key sells Panasonics, and they offer free shipping on prepaid orders.
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 12-21-2015, 04:01 AM
Administrator

Really.....free shipping? I might give them a try. I haven't used Digi-Key in years.
Old 12-21-2015, 04:05 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregb View Post
I placed an order for a bunch of the Panasonics and will give them a try. Buying them 100 at a time the price is very reasonable.

Gregb
First thought was, man, the guy uses THAT many?? But then I look back and remember how many times I've ordered them in quantities of 20. I've had 12 orders with Mouser this year and probably close to that many with Capacitor World. Maybe it's time to bulk up on my orders.