Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Diagnostic & Test Equipment

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-29-2011, 09:39 PM
VK Member

I have a 2 manuals for RCA Senior Voltohmsyts - one is for WV-98C and one is for a WV-98A. They came with some other older equipment I bought, but these items weren't there, just these manuals.
So I don't need them - if someone else does, just let me know.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:31 PM
RCA 741PCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube Radio View Post
What probe is that on the front cover of the manual? Mind didn't come with a probe.
It's a WG-299 type probe like this: http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/rca_vol...e_wg_299d.html

It has a mode switch for DC / AC, Ohms. The switch puts a 1M resistor in series with the tip.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:04 AM
VideoKarma Member

Oh ok. So that is why the meter seemed off on DC voltages. Looks like I may just make a box with the switch and resistor. I would then use shielded cable to go from the connector to maybe a BNC connector on the box then have the switch and resistor along with two banana jacks so that I can use regular meter leads.
AKAI GX 255 RTR
iPod & computer
DIY speakers (upgrading them soon)
Old 07-14-2011, 08:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

How to disassemble a VoltOhmyst Probe WG-299D

Hi:

I have fully restored my RCA SENIOR VOLTOHMYST WV-98C. It had a few out of tolerance precision resistors.

Thanks to banderson's tip to use a parallel resistance calculator from the internet I was able to adjust these back to within 1% tolerance.

The problem I have now is the 1Meg ohm resistor in the WG-299D probe is out of tolerance. I have no idea how to disassemble this. I twisted it like crazy. Any harder I think it would break!

The other thought is this. Since it is about 10% out, does it really matter anyways when I come to the point of calibrating the meter? In other words would calibration overcome this out of tolerance value?

Any experience? Any ideas?

Thanks
Old 07-15-2011, 11:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

I assume that those precision resistors are not available new? I may check mine and start replacing resistors. Concerning the resistor in the probe could you just make a new probe with a new resistor? Unfortunately mine has no probe so I would have to make one.
AKAI GX 255 RTR
iPod & computer
Audiokarma
Old 07-15-2011, 01:48 PM
RCA 741PCS

Generally they're not available new or if they are, they're very expensive. Surplus Sales of Nebraska has some at reasonable prices though.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

True I didn't think about that.
AKAI GX 255 RTR
iPod & computer
Old 07-16-2011, 08:53 AM
Followin' the Rules...

1 meg precision resistors are EASY to find new, and are inexpensive up to about a watt. I recently got some 10Meg 1 Watt bleeder resistors for under a buck each. Mouser, Allied, Digi-Key, and Newark all have them, as do several surplus vendors as Bob mentioned. Talon has them from 1/8 Watt to 1 Watt, all under a buck each:

http://www.talonix.com/shop/category...page=4&sortby=

Cheers,
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 07-16-2011, 08:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

Mouser has just about any resistor you could want or need. I only have had maybe one case where they did not have one resistor I needed and I sometimes need some weird values.
AKAI GX 255 RTR
iPod & computer
Old 07-17-2011, 06:56 AM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube Radio View Post
Mouser has just about any resistor you could want or need. I only have had maybe one case where they did not have one resistor I needed and I sometimes need some weird values.
Quite true, but their price breaks come at 25 or 50 quantity. I needed 7 10Meg 1 watt metal film resistors, so buying 10 for less than they cost at Mouser was a plus. ( 6 bucks vs 13) Same with Electrolytics - I can sometimes buy 10 or more for the cost of 5 or 6 at Mouser. I use Mouser sparingly, as Allied and Digi-Key often have stuff for less. I just wish everyone had a parametric, drill-down search like Mouser has. Now that they've added Panasonic caps, I get my film caps from Mouser or Digi-Key, which has distributed Panasonic since 1977. Quality mylar/polypropylene/polyester caps, shipped from the USA, for pennies each? I'm happy.

Cheers,
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Audiokarma
Old 07-17-2011, 03:52 PM
RCA 741PCS

Hmm. I like Mouser and use them all the time but couldn't find any 7M resistors. The closest are 6.98M or 7.15M and neither at 1 W I guess I'll try Surplus Sales of Nebraska next time I need enough to build up a full order.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

I scored an rca senior voltohmyst for free!

A friend had two of them beqethed to him and one had a stuck needle so he offered it to me. I admittedly know little of electronics, but mechanics I like, so I took it apart right away.
The probe attaches right in the middle of the coil that operates the needle, and with a minor adjustment (a couple screws) it bounces about as nice as if new (I can only imagine, since I was probably born when this thing was)!

Anyhow, now I have the bug to use it - is this a nice tool to welcome me into electronics?

And geartech - do you still have an extra copy of the manual for this? Anyone have a digital copy?