Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-28-2002, 01:41 PM
Eric C

Question from a beginning collector

I'm just getting into collecting "elderly" electronic gear, and I was wondering if anybody could point me in the right direction as to what reference materials are best as far as troubleshooting and repairing old sets. My specific interests will be in the tube sets as opposed to the transistorized models. Any suggestions that you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Eric
Old 06-28-2002, 02:24 PM
Banned

EricC

Try to find a set of the big black Rider Television Manuals. I have Vol's 1-13 and would be lost without them. That covers most early TV schematics and set-up notes from a few RCA pre-wars to all the post war sets from '46 through about '53-'54. These can be found on ebay. Usually $10-$20 per volume but sometimes a whole set becomes available for a good deal. The problem is they are huge and heavy. Shipping gets expensive unless you can pick them up.

Rob
Old 06-28-2002, 03:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi Eric:
Welcome aboard! Television collecting is quite a treasure hunt, and great fun. Regarding service information, here in St. Louis the County library has a fairly complete set of Howard Sams folders available in the tech ref section. You will probably have to ast at the desk for a master directory, and after finding your set or chassis have them fetch it. Don't forget a bunch of dimes for the copier!

Also, I have found it very useful, and safe, to use a variable transformer and amp meter for firing up an old piece of gear the first time. You can ease the volts up from zero while watching the ampmeter. If the amps climb fast much past the set's rating on the sticker there is a problem to find and fix. Well, I was going to attach a photo of mine, but I seem to have misplaced it in this mess I call my shop. How embarrasing!

Marlin