Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-03-2007, 09:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

When 80% are paying for "free" TV it's not free any more. All that will end up really being free will be the channels that just have lots of advertising on them. It could be end up being all of their broadcast time. We already have that with shopping channels. Advertisers already are paying to be on "cable networks". The problem is the cable neworks are able to get money from both the viewer and advertisers so their programming will be better they will be able to pay for it. Broadcast TV will not disapper but most of the users of it will.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:37 PM
<--1956 300B

USA Today article on the death of Analog TV signal!

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/product...TV-cover_N.htm

polaraman
Old 08-07-2007, 02:44 PM
...enjoys spaghetti.

Comments from the article:

Quote:
I don't have a digital TV, my parents got one though and they only have a few stations that broadcast in digital and they said the signal is terrible. I had digital tiered cable and got rid of it because I was sick of losing the signal even in good weather...you get that pixalated look and it's awful. Analog, sure you get weaker sometimes, but at least that is only in bad weather. Granted, my TV wasn't digital and I thought that was part of it, but after talking to my parents I have been digging heels in on having to get a new TV, particularly since my TV isn't that old. And for those questioning rabbit ears, until I was able to run cable back to my bedroom, I had only rabbit ears back there and was able to get quite a few local channels with it if you live in a major metro area. And I know lots of people that don't want to pay the high prices of cable. It's creating a bigger monopoly and for those on fixed incomes or those that don't want to pay, they should still be able to receive their basic channels without an expense. This whole thing is ridiculous.
Quote:
if you are still using an antenna then you are probably using a wood burning stove & have an outhouse.
Quote:
The change from analog to digital has nothing to do with money. From what they've been telling us for several years and the half-dozen articles I've read on the problem is that analog waveforms are contributing to global warming. The continuous sinusoindal waveform of an analog signal traps heat in the lower half of the troposphere where as the on and off nature of a digital signal allows heat to escape back into space whenever the signal goes low or to the off state.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

That last quote is quite a zinger. I hope the person does not actually believe that. (Of course, I just saw an adverstisement for a "physic fair", on TV, some people will believe anything"

There are a lot of people who have TVs in there bedrooms, workshops, etc, that are still just on antenna while their main TV is on cable or satellite. Unless new TVs are purchased, the loss of the analog signal will kill this. As far as completely loosing their free TV, I think people in rural areas are at greatest risk. With analog, at least you can get a snowy picture at long distances. With digital, (even though you have the new digital TV) you will probably get nothing.

To me, the whole thing is just another way for the large corporations to make money at the little guy's expense. A bad idea all around.

I already have a digital tuner hooked to some of my old sets on an antenna. I get the local channels with pretty good reception, but the comment about pixalization in quote one is very true. The sound also quits, while on the analog signal, the sound is present, even with a very weak and snowy picture.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

That last quote is quite a zinger. I hope the person does not actually believe that. (Of course, I just saw an adverstisement for a "physic fair", on TV, some people will believe anything"

There are a lot of people who have TVs in there bedrooms, workshops, etc, that are still just on antenna while their main TV is on cable or satellite. Unless new TVs are purchased, the loss of the analog signal will kill this. As far as completely loosing their free TV, I think people in rural areas are at greatest risk. With analog, at least you can get a snowy picture at long distances. With digital, (even though you have the new digital TV) you will probably get nothing.

To me, the whole thing is just another way for the large corporations to make money at the little guy's expense. A bad idea all around.

I already have a digital tuner hooked to some of my old sets on an antenna. I get the local channels with pretty good reception, but the comment about pixalization in quote one is very true. The sound also quits, while on the analog signal, the sound is present, even with a very weak and snowy picture.
Audiokarma
Old 08-07-2007, 09:40 PM
EH?

Up here in the Great White North, incandescent bulbs will be phased out in 2012.
No idea on digital Television and the standards. My guess Canada will hang on to the analog format a bit longer than 2009. I guess that means my 1989 RCA colortrack 2000 will have to hang on a bit longer.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

The new energy efficent bulbs do use qute a bit less electricity and last a long time, but each one contains a small amount of mercury. This makes them more harmful to the enviroment than the old incandescent bulbs when discarded. Does Canada have a plan to recycle the incandescent bulb replacements?
Old 08-07-2007, 11:34 PM
EH?

They are already covered under guidelines for disposal of toxic/harmful substances, so yes.

Old 08-08-2007, 12:10 AM
VideoKarma Member

I am glad that Canada has had the forsight to do this. In the US, I think California is also going to ban incandescents. I hope they also have a plan.

Here in Texas, no ban and no plan exist at present. The nearest place to recycle these is 40 miles away from me at an Ikea store(the store's idea, not Texas).

In rural areas of Texas/Oklahoma it is common (although against the law) to see trash in the roadside gullies, so some of the Mercury will end up in the enviroment. Probably not a drop in the bucket compared to all of the motor oil that has been put into the ground in the last 75 years though.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:03 AM
VideoKarma Member

---

Last edited by andy; 12-07-2021 at 02:09 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 08-08-2007, 09:32 AM
Living The Draper Ethos

Welcome to the nanny state....
Old 08-08-2007, 10:08 AM
VideoKarma Member

If they do I will stock up on incandescents. Flourescent lamps hurt my wife's eyes and our opthalmologist will attest to that fact, so the government can kiss my a,,,. The builder put a flourescent fixture over the kitchen sink, not finding what we wanted I used parts to make an incandescent fixture and put the old one over a workbench, since they don't bother me.

All of this environmental crap really frosts me. We have installed an energy efficient heat pump, appliances, had the house built with 2 x 6 exterior walls and equivalent insulation years ago, now they are talking tax breaks, what timing. We did it because the electric companies here in the US are bandits. When I lived in Nepean (Ottawa) they billed me every second month because it was not worth sending someone around to read the meter each month.

Some people are like Slinkies, not really good for anything. They do bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

[QUOTE=merrylander;1286939]If they do I will stock up on incandescents. Flourescent lamps hurt my wife's eyes and our opthalmologist will attest to that fact, so the government can kiss my a,,,. The builder put a flourescent fixture over the kitchen sink, not finding what we wanted I used parts to make an incandescent fixture and put the old one over a workbench, since they don't bother me.

Have you tried a flouresent fixture with a high frequency ballast transformer? I know someone who was getting headaches with standard 60 cycle ballasts, the expensive ones switch at around 20,000 cycles and stops flicker and her headaches.
Old 08-12-2007, 06:19 PM
Slave to 1 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVonse View Post
I agree completely with this.

Selling off the spectrum to private interests will mean our government will no longer have the vehical to easily communicate to the public over the air. There are still many families not hooked up to satelite or cable. Digital technology is great but if there are no more VHF channels left its not going to travel any kind of distance over UHF. In case of national emergency there will be significant areas not covered by UHF and that means the public at large will not get proper instruction from our federal government.

The VHF spectrum needs to be kept in the public domain IMO.
True although we still have the AM band for this. I think the point is that we are selling off a very limited resource because of the "Wal*Mart mentality" in order to make a buck. I'm not against making a buck but there are times that the public interests should be above that. I just think that we should have both systems going at once and for once let the people decide. If at some point NTSC goes away, well, that could happen or if HDTV never catches on, well, I think the FCC should set aside some channels and let the people decide. I hear HDTV sales are not doing as well so who knows, maybe 2009, NTSC will still be around beyond the shutoff date.
Old 08-12-2007, 06:32 PM
Slave to 1 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfasto View Post
Up here in the Great White North, incandescent bulbs will be phased out in 2012.
No idea on digital Television and the standards. My guess Canada will hang on to the analog format a bit longer than 2009. I guess that means my 1989 RCA colortrack 2000 will have to hang on a bit longer.
Hmmm, if I could, I'd load up the old Explorer with incandescent lightbulbs and go up north to Canada and sell them. Maybe I could start my own black market syndicate. Heck with drugs and booze, I could make a mint selling old style light bulbs in Canada and bring down 3.5 gallon toilets and sell them here in the U.S.
Audiokarma