Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-12-2005, 05:20 AM
VK Member

SABA Schauinsland T 2000 color

In another thread I wrote about the Saba Schauinsland T 2000 color, a color tv set of the first color tv generation in 1967. This set has 28 tubes and a horizontal unit which looks like a heating tower. The line transformer is bad. But I got a spare transformer from the electronic recycling depot which belonged to a Kuba color tv set. Today I have replaced the line output transformer and I got the first light on the screen.
The horizontal output unit has two transformers, one for the line deflection and the other one for generating the high voltage for the crt. Did you have color tv sets with two horizontal transformers in the past?
Old 09-12-2005, 06:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

I think some of the Sony Trinitron sets used this setup...there was a horizontal output transistor for the yoke and a seperate HV horizontal output transistor for the flyback to generate the HV.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:21 AM
VideoKarma Member

I remember at least one Philips set (K8) in Europe that had 2 transformers, 2 PL509 and 2 PY500.
None of the transformers would work if only one failed. A nightmare to fix.
Old 09-12-2005, 08:22 AM
VK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalon1308
I remember at least one Philips set (K8) in Europe that had 2 transformers, 2 PL509 and 2 PY500.
None of the transformers would work if only one failed. A nightmare to fix.
This was a 110 ° deflection tv set with 400 watts power consumption. The earlier Philips sets (K6) had one transformer but two line output tubes, PL509 and PL504, both feeding the same transformer.
The two-transformer concept in color television was used by Saba, Grundig, Metz, Graetz, maybe some more.
In the Saba, the HV unit gets the input signal from the line output unit. If the line transformer does not work, the HV transformer does not work too. But otherwise the line output transformer could work while the HV transformer does not work. Power consumption of the Saba is 350 watts. And the high voltage output current for the PL509 is 600 to 900 ma. (285 volts).
Old 09-12-2005, 09:50 AM
See yourself on Color TV!

I think some of the old CONRAC professional monitors had separate sweep and high voltage supply, but I no longer have a schematic.
Audiokarma
Old 09-12-2005, 10:33 AM
Banned

Saba

Was this set a top level model in europe in '67? Were there solid state sets in europe in '67?
That SABA is interesting. Would the original picture quality have been competive with the best in '67?
Old 09-12-2005, 11:30 AM
VK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroberts500
Was this set a top level model in europe in '67? Were there solid state sets in europe in '67?
That SABA is interesting. Would the original picture quality have been competive with the best in '67?
The first color tv sets had similar prices. Here are all 63 cm.-TV sets in '67:

PHILIPS GOYA (K6): DM 2433,-

GRUNDIG T 1000: DM 2398,-
TELEFUNKEN Palcolor 708 T: DM 2398,-
WEGA 901: DM 2398,-

NORDMENDE Spectra-color 7000: DM 2385,-

LOEWE-OPTA F 900: DM 2383,-

SIEMENS Bildmeister FF91: DM 2380,-

SABA Schauinsland T 2000 color: DM 2378,-

SCHAUB-LORENZ: DM 2370,-
GRAETZ Burggraf: DM 2370,-

BLAUPUNKT CTV 2005: DM 2365,-

KUBA IMPERIAL: DM 2348,-

NECKERMANN Koerting: DM 1990,-

Beside them, there were also 49 cm.- color tv sets and the KUBA Porta-color (DM 1798,-) in 1967.
The PHILIPS set had 27 tubes too and had a very good video unit with an excellent picture. SABA used so many tubes because many tv servicemen were not familiar with transistors. (This was written in the service manual.)
Old 09-12-2005, 12:45 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Did Kuba ever make a color set to compliment the Komet? If I had a Komet, I would be VERY afraid that it would come alive late one night & try to murder me in my sleep...chase me around my house & then skewer me in a corner w/one of those splines...-Sandy G.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:53 PM
VK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G
Did Kuba ever make a color set to compliment the Komet? If I had a Komet, I would be VERY afraid that it would come alive late one night & try to murder me in my sleep...chase me around my house & then skewer me in a corner w/one of those splines...-Sandy G.
Sorry, but why should the Komet murder you? Do I have to be an American to understand it?
Kuba color tv sets are the worst color tv sets which where produced in Germany. They failed every four weeks, and one had to fix them.
Saba color tv set: the horizontal unit is working now, but not with full load. The booster voltage is still lower than recommended. Vertical linearity is and sync don't fit. The crt has very low emission. There is still a lot of to do.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:27 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Guess I've just seen too many sci-fi/horror flicks on late nite TV..Yeah, I guess you gotta be an American to "get" some of my oddball, snarky humor...But think about it..A Komet, w/an evil grin on it's screen, chasin' a guy around, every once in a while, jabbin him in the butt w/the long spike, the guy hollerin', "YEEE-OWWW",grabbin' his poor, sore butt, the Komet goin' "Heh-heh-heh !" as it runs after him again...They didn't have Hanna-Barbera cartoons on TV in Germany back when you were a kid, did they? Huckleberry-Hound, Quick-Draw McGraw, Snagglepuss, Yogi 'n' Boo-Boo,Augie Doggie & Doggie Daddy...If you'd ever seen many of those, you'd understand...I think...-<grin>-Sandy G.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:30 PM
...enjoys spaghetti.

Quote:
Do I have to be an American to understand it?
It would help

Quote:
Sorry, but why should the Komet murder you?
...sorry I think the idea was that the Kuba Komet looks like a 50's era sci-fi alien.
Old 09-12-2005, 04:22 PM
VK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmine
It would help
...sorry I think the idea was that the Kuba Komet looks like a 50's era sci-fi alien.
Ha ha ha! Thank you very much. Now I understood. BTW: My whole family had seen "The Invaders" this summer (with Roy Thinnes). Since that time we check every one who's ringing the bell at the house door for their size of the little finger...
Old 09-12-2005, 09:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

Conrac used a stand alone HV power supply. I still have some in everyday service. They are Delta gun too. I'm going to make sure they don't hit the dumpster when they get replaced with HD monitors someday.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:49 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

"The Invaders" Oh, chit ! Hadn't thought about THAT one in years ! Remember that creepy guy, Alfred Ryder-he played the "meanie" in a lot of TV shows back then...Hell, he'd be the guy that fixed the Komet where it would come alive & chase me...Shit, now I'll have nightmares....That damn Komet, comin' to get me <grin>....Yagosaga, have you ever seen any of the ORIGINAL (1963-65) "Outer Limits"? OK, they're kinda cheesy now,but back then, they'd scare the pants off a little kid. There was one episode the network blanked out the monster, because it was deemed to hideous for TV.-Sandy G.
Old 09-13-2005, 03:02 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yagosaga
The first color tv sets had similar prices. Here are all 63 cm.-TV sets in '67:

PHILIPS GOYA (K6): DM 2433,-

GRUNDIG T 1000: DM 2398,-
TELEFUNKEN Palcolor 708 T: DM 2398,-
WEGA 901: DM 2398,-

NORDMENDE Spectra-color 7000: DM 2385,-

LOEWE-OPTA F 900: DM 2383,-

SIEMENS Bildmeister FF91: DM 2380,-

SABA Schauinsland T 2000 color: DM 2378,-

SCHAUB-LORENZ: DM 2370,-
GRAETZ Burggraf: DM 2370,-

BLAUPUNKT CTV 2005: DM 2365,-

KUBA IMPERIAL: DM 2348,-

NECKERMANN Koerting: DM 1990,-

Beside them, there were also 49 cm.- color tv sets and the KUBA Porta-color (DM 1798,-) in 1967.
The PHILIPS set had 27 tubes too and had a very good video unit with an excellent picture. SABA used so many tubes because many tv servicemen were not familiar with transistors. (This was written in the service manual.)
I think the best TV ever made in the late 60's was the Philips KM1 multistandard model PAL/SECAM. Extremely complicated but with a wonderful picture quality.
I still have a few sets in working order. They came in 49cm(not sure) 63cm 65cm and/or 66 for the latest ones.
They were full of tubes and transistors.
Philips produced lots of color TV's with tubes when the others already made fully transitorised sets because Philips produced too many tubes in the 70's and needed to get rid of them.
Audiokarma