Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-10-2007, 01:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

RARE RCA CTC-7 "Worthington"

Hi Everybody, I'm giving you a heads up on a rare CTC-7 "Worthington" that will be listed on eBay tomorrow. It's not my set, but if I had the money I would be on it in a heartbeat. I just wanted to let you know it will be listed and what I know of the set, as I've seen it. A buddy of mine here in Omaha is a big collector of washers and dryers ( Dwight, if you're reading this it's Greg from AW) He got this set a few years ago from an estate sale here. The story on the set is interesting. It came from an older ladies house. She was "well off" but after her husband passed she became a hoarder of newsprint, and I guess the house, altho neat, was PACKED with magazines from floor to ceiling. He went to the sale and went into the family room and behing stacks of newpapers, this set was still in the corner, plugged in, and hooked up to an outside antenna. He's not really "into" tv's but thought it was cool and bought it. He has had it displayed in his family room ever since.
Now here is what I know of the sets condition. It is complete and the set is close to mint. Nice cabinet, etc.... He wanted me to see what condition the set was in, and if it needed work. I fired it up and got a full, bright raster. I did not want it on for very long for fear of damage, but was unable to determine picture quality or what needs to be done. For those of you unfamiliar with the "Worthington" it was RCA's limited run, HIGH END set for 1958. It has full ultrasonic remote that has its own built in drawer in the set. On the other side is a tilt out drawer with ALL the push button controls. The set has NO knobs for a streamlined look. EVERYTHING is controlled thru the rocker bars on the set and from the remote. The problem that I can see with the set is that I think the controls are "gummed up" from non-use. I can only get it to turn off and on. I cannot get ANY other function to work, so I can't change the channel to a station we get here. You can hear the relays click, but that's all it does. The set is wayyyyyyy beyond my repair abilities. I'm sure one of you (if you get it) will be able to get it going with not too much effort. I just wanted to report that it does have full raster and the picture tube looks good. Feel free to ask him or myself any question about it once it's listed. I found an old post on the "Worthington" in the AK archives and here is what Steve Hoffman had to say " Steve Hoffman11-28-2003, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Steve D.
Anthony,
In response to your eariler reply. "No push button sets until the 70's." RCA actually produced in 1958 the "Worthington" CTC-7 model 21RC899. This was the very top of the line (make that expensive) remote control set. The best part is that all the remote buttons were duplicated on the set itself. No knobs to be found. This included channel, volume, fine tuning, color and hue. All electronic either from the remote or on the set. This was a limited late production CTC-7 model and sold for $1200. a tidy sum in 1958. Mrs. Drysdale after getting out of her pushbutton equipped 1958 Chrysler Imperial would find the "Worthington" right at home in her living room. The set can be seen on Ed Reitan's site on his CTC-7 page.

On this page:

http://www.novia.net/%7Eereitan/Gallery/CTC7_Gallery.html" I'll provide the link once he lists it.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

he listed it. Here's the link.... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=110091287758
Old 02-11-2007, 08:34 PM
<-- sucker for old sets.

Simply incredible!

Old 02-11-2007, 09:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

Heres a link to a video of the original advertisement of this set in case your interested.
-Tony

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF2Xp3P6-m0
Old 02-11-2007, 10:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

....and the main pic from the auction. Definately a beautiful set! I wish i had deep pockets to get this one.
-Tony

Last edited by Tony V; 03-10-2019 at 11:54 AM.
Audiokarma
Old 02-11-2007, 10:18 PM
Administrator

I took the liberty of brightning up the picture a little.

That is a wonderful set!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rca.jpg (79.6 KB, 49 views)