Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-10-2014, 02:22 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Radio-Electronics Magazine as a repair resource

As you may know, the American Radio History website has archived Radio-Electronics Magazines, with EXCELLENT service information from the greats, Jack Darr (their Service Editor and a TV-Shop owner himself) and Homer Davidson, a contributing editor and also a TV-shop owner. Both are heavily published in the TV-repair arena. (Art Margolis was published in Electronics Illustrated, also archived on the American Radio History website)

First, Radio-Electronics had an annual "Color TV" issue - usually January or December of the year. Great reading, and supplements service data and other publications right nicely.

I've drilled-down to find RCA-relevant service hints, tips, theory, and practical troubleshooting information. Below, broken down by circuit, is a relevance-to-issue listing:

Vertical (6EM7 and 6GF7 based, as they are electrically the same - any -GF7 circuit is similar)

1961 - August and September Issues
1964 - September and November Issues
1965 - February and December Issues
1966 - January and July Issues
1967 - December Issue
1971 - August Issue
1975 - October Issue
1976 - September Issue
1978 - July Issue (service hint surrounding the Service Switch)

Horizontal - 6JE6 based

1969 - June Issue (1.8K resistor)
1971 - October Issues (pictogram/on-screen images)

Convergence (might be good for most 60's era RCAs)

1966 - January Issue

I'm at a start with this, an will edit as I uncover more - on to Chroma!
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 12-11-2014, 09:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have boxes & boxes of those (and similar) magazines, along with some carefully organized files of articles from them (put together by some repairman years ago.) They are an invaluable resource and great reading...I didn't know about the archives, and here I was just thinking the other day how I need to compact all those boxes in the attic. Hard to part with them, though. Real glad you posted these links.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:42 PM
M is for Memory

I've got some postwar to late 50's issues. They are good reading, and give a wonderful glimpse into the state of the electronic art (not just of TVs but electronics in general) and it's progression in those years.

One fascinating article was IIRC in a 1952-3 issue a TV station built a single channel all transistor (except CRT and HV rect. IIRC) TV set, and published the plans.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 12-12-2014, 09:21 AM
VideoKarma Member

Radio & TV News is awesome too, I think I prefer it to Radio-Electronics but only by a little bit. I used to spend hours reading those old magazines when I first got into tubes, they're interesting from cover to cover including all the ads! If only I could place an order to McGee radio and get an "RCA 630 style chassis", a 21" CRT and a bunch of their speakers!
Old 12-20-2014, 02:43 AM
VideoKarma Member

Magazine Archives

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgadow View Post
I have boxes & boxes of those (and similar) magazines, along with some carefully organized files of articles from them (put together by some repairman years ago.) They are an invaluable resource and great reading...I didn't know about the archives, and here I was just thinking the other day how I need to compact all those boxes in the attic. Hard to part with them, though. Real glad you posted these links.
Look at the web site. They are looking for loans and donations to fill gaps in the collection.
Audiokarma