Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

---

Last edited by andy; 12-07-2021 at 01:40 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:05 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill R View Post
Is the picture not filling the screen horizontally. It looks like it is in the pictures. If not try adjusting the horiz centering control. The low HV will not cause a horiz lin problem, but a lack of horizontal scan will cause a low HV. 23.5KV may be ok. It should be measured with a dark screen.

Bill
No problem with the pic filling the screen, just horz lineairity (circle is compressed on the right side, elongated on the right.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

more adjustments more screen shots...

Last edited by DaveWM; 03-18-2013 at 12:04 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

Seems to have ever so slight of a ghost, I wonder if that is some kind of AGC issue, its more noticable on strong high contrast signals. you can see in on the lettering and on the bright shot of the lady (dark hair).
Old 11-02-2009, 08:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

here are some ideas for the cabinet design,

4 side ply box with some oak veneers.

simple splayed legs with a front and rear stretcher, set in a bit, all splays about 15 degrees, all exposed edged rounded over. legs from hardwood, all finished with tung oil.

I will do some full size mockups out out foam to see how the legs work out.

Lacking a table saw will mean some creative jigging for my circlular saw, but the veneers should cover any minor mistakes.

I would not mind getting a router to do the bulk of the rounding over of the legs but then again I could prob do it with hand tools and patience.

pls excuse the rough drawing, just try for the right look.

Last edited by DaveWM; 03-18-2013 at 12:04 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 11-02-2009, 08:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

The color in the second photo is so perfect!

John
Old 11-02-2009, 10:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

Really looking good. Convergence, purity, white balance all look quite good now. I agree with John color on that second picture is great. If there is still some black at the bottom try adjusting the vert centering. You may have enough overscan at the top to move the picture down a bit. The slight ghost could be overloading of agc, it may also be open or shorted peaking coil in the video section.

Bill
Old 11-02-2009, 11:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

adj the vert down a little, better will do some more later still have some to go but its getting late.

Just realized the darn speaker holes are not opened up on the speaker grille (it orig was mounted low, I thought the speaker on the bezel was open, its formed on the inside, there must be a machining process that opens the holes). I still like my design, guees I could go with a side firing speaker, or just do the way it was done, the speaker below the bezel. That would raise up the whole TV about 5". that would really mess up the look.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:30 AM
VideoKarma Member

Gosh, that picture looks nice. You have brought that set a long way since the first photos you posted.

Your cabinet design looks like a lot of fun. Meanwhile, put on a favorite movie and enjoy.

Phil Nelson
Old 11-03-2009, 07:31 AM
Repro Battery Builder

Don't twiddle with it anymore. Looks great! :-)
Audiokarma
Old 11-03-2009, 04:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

Would it be possible to open the speaker holes. Tedious work, but.... Maybe a dremel tool to carefully cut the slits. Using one that had the speaker mounted there as a guide. The only ones open are the ones right in front of the speaker. You only need enough for the sound to get out.
Other thought would be to cut the speaker grill out and use a piece of grill cloth glued in place. Since you are building a custom cabinet anyway, that might be an option.

Just a thought.

Bill
Old 11-03-2009, 05:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

I could prob open up a few with a dremal and a cut off wheel, of couse if I goofed it would be real ugly. I just wonder how the factory did it. You can see the mold area, even has the guide pins for the speaker.

Biggest problem would be getting good access. Guess the time to do it would coinside with the cataract removal when I have to unbolt the CRT anyway.

given the condition of the PVA I am hoping the cat would just pop off with minimal effort of heat gun or hot wire, which ever method I use.