Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-07-2014, 06:53 AM
Administrator

For the moment, I'm enjoying it hooked up to a CD player. I burn music in mono on my computer and create CDs. It's actually working out nicely, and the sound is AMAZING!

Trying to work out an intermittent issue with the RCA amp in there that's driving me NUTS though. There's an intermittent scratchiness coupled with the sound level dropping out that occurs every few minutes, or sometimes not at all. Replaced all the tubes, and that's not it. The amp's been recapped. Gonna have to pull the amp and check all the solder connections and just start replacing resistors next. Hoping it's not a transformer
Old 04-07-2014, 07:43 AM
VideoKarma Member

Penthode- you are correct in that the changer is the same as on the 10-35. Don't think I've ever seen a changer up for sale by itself. On one of the phono forums, someone is selling a very nice 10-35 for 2k, which is a fair price considering how rarely any of these machines comes on the market.

Re: the scratchy sound- check your tube pin connections. I just dealt with a Dynaco amp that was doing the same thing after a recap.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:54 PM
M is for Memory

Flakey pots can do the same thing.

If you want a 50's Garrard changer I have a clean one I'd let go dirt cheap (I've been meaning to put it in a radio club donation auction for some time now).

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 04-09-2014, 08:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

That could also be a cracked plate resistor on the voltage amp or phase inverter tube. Does scratchiness mean like a crackling
Sound that comes and goes?
Old 04-10-2014, 07:20 AM
Administrator

And drops the volume tremendously. That's exactly what happens. I'll have some time this weekend to pull the amp for the dozenth time and give it a look.....
Old 04-10-2014, 11:11 AM
VideoKarma Member

I had this problem on an old DeVry movie projector amplifier. It turned out to be a defective plate resistor thermal cycling, it was fine when cool but when fully warmed up would go way high in value, which had the combined effect of making noise and reducing gain, then it would cool down and the whole cycle would repeat - annoying! Eventually it failed to the point it was crackling all the time and was easy to troubleshoot.

I would try to operate the amplifier so that the bottom is accessible and measure the plate voltage on all the small tubes, then try and catch it when it starts misbehaving and take the same measurements. My guess is the plate voltage will change drastically on one of the tubes or tube sections. I would begin with the first voltage gain stage, since if the problem was in the phase inverter it would more likely be an increase in distortion rather than a drop in gain, as one half of the push pull amplifier came and went. My guess is one of the resistors is packing it in after it warms up - would be much nicer to sort this out by changing just the defective part rather than a shotgun approach, RCA Camden is mostly torn down and the likes of this amplifier will never be seen again as a commercial product.

If the problem doesn't occur with the amplifier on its side (bottom of chassis well ventilated) try hitting the underside with a blast of hot air from a hair dryer, specifically near the input tube sockets to try and provoke it.

Last edited by maxhifi; 04-10-2014 at 11:16 AM.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:06 AM
Administrator

Unfortunately, the Electrola will be going up for sale shortly. My 11 year old's quad was stolen from my garage last night, and the only way I'll be able to afford to replace it is to start selling off a few things.

If I don't, it'll ruin his summer. Detectives all over the neighborhood this morning. If anyone's interested, please send me a PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:40 PM
M is for Memory

It might be a good idea to mod the next one with a hidden ignition kill switch...

Old 04-14-2014, 04:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
It might be a good idea to mod the next one with a hidden ignition kill switch...
What good would that do? I'm sure they aren't going to try and start it in the garage and drive it away. Once they got it to where they are taking it, a little checking would find the kill switch.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

Call me a kill joy but quads are accidents waiting to happen,
The spinal injury statistics they produce make motorcycles look safe, maybe it's a sign to find a less dangerous pass time (sorry I couldn't help but post
This!)
Audiokarma
Old 04-14-2014, 07:27 PM
Administrator

Before I decide to do anything with it, I'm going to give the police a chance. You wouldn't think that they'd put as much effort in as they have. A total of 5 cops and 3 detectives are now involved, and they sent a CSI box truck out with people gathering evidence. You'd swear it was a murder scene. I love the Cheektowaga NY police department now, I really do.

No worries, maxhifi.....I myself prefer 3 wheelers....lol
Old 04-14-2014, 07:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
They didn't even run, they were still drained for the winter and one had a dead battery.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:07 AM
M is for Memory

Amazing that someone would go to the effort to push something that heavy(I'm assuming it must be comparable to a riding mower), even if it was only to the end of your driveway, just to steal it!

Old 04-15-2014, 01:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

The old honda three wheelers from the eighties are a blast, hey? I feel like every time
I've been on one it's am miracle it didn't end up on top off
Though, especially with that third wheel
Riding high in between the ruts on quad trails! You're lucky to have such responsive police, if that happened around here you'd file a report and that would be the end of it. No luck with insurance ??
Old 04-16-2014, 06:55 PM
Administrator

Nah. They claim that's covered under ATV insurance, which of course I don't have.

(sigh)