Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-10-2014, 12:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotvnut View Post
I wonder when those "A-B" packs were last available? I had a collector friend who got his first radio around '72, a Firestone farm set that used the typical big 1.5V/90V pack. He said that the local hardware store was able to get him one; but, it was an act of congress and was costly, even during the early '70's. Frankly, I'm surprised they were made that late. Several years ago, the local parts house still carried the 67.5 volt and 90 volt batteries like what was used in tube portables; but, they were high as a cat's back.
I bought a battery pack for a Zenith T.O. in the mid 60's, for something like $7.85, or so. The counterman used a battery checker to make sure, it was still good. He said that they done stock many, because of shelf life.
The last time, I priced an Eveready 467, it was priced at $39.00.
Old 05-10-2014, 04:00 PM
David Thomas

I saw the 67 volt batteries online not too long ago, but not the 90 volt.

Reading this thread has got me in a mood to check out my cousins old Silvertone farm radio. She gave it to me a few years before she died, and I've never tried to power it up. I used to have an old Eico adjustable power supply that could produce up to 450 volts, but since that went by the way-side I could just put together a slew of 9 volt batteries to make up the 90 volt B+.

I know the B battery should last a lot longer than the A supply for the filaments.
Old 05-10-2014, 05:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

I've built a few battery eliminators, using an LM317 adjustable voltage regulator for the filament supply. You can use Zener diodes for B+ regulation; but, the B+ voltage is not nearly as critical as the filament. For a transformer, you can either wire two low voltage transformers back-to-back and take the filament supply off of where the two transformers connect or you can purchase a single transformer with the necessary HV winding.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:04 PM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

The biggest reasons why any parts house carries any of these batteries is due to the Nems-Clarke/Potomac Instruments AM Field Intensity Meters used by broadcast engineers. Which used this battery arrangement for many years.
Old 05-11-2014, 03:48 PM
Analogue is Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep
Detrola did that a lot. The 571 was one that had it.
Most of the German sets had it that way, as well. Their domestic sets were calibrated in wavelength, instead of frequency.
Hmmmm makes sense I guess
Audiokarma