Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-22-2016, 06:26 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

I sure don't like the ratchet sound it makes. Is the post there on the deck that pushes the cassette's brake release?

I think when one of these loads the TU reel stays fairly stationary so it comes up roughly the same place on the tape when ejected. The Supply side should go free to fed the tape with just a bit of tension from a soft brake to keep a little tension on the tape as it loads.

Do you have a "dummy" test cassette, one with no tape or reels and the windows cut out so you can see better and feel what's going on? With that you could pull the plug just as the TU and Supply arms start their move, to check things like what the reels and brakes are doing at that point. Also handy in fully loaded play position then unplug you can at least see if the back tension arm and band are working OK. I used to replace a lot of back-tension bands, and reel brake arms too, the black pads on them wear out.
Old 11-22-2016, 06:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

The ratchet sound is from the loose tape bouncing on the drum.

I see that when the tape loads, the right tape guide is in front of the tape and not behind. Also, I don't see anything that would take the tape to the pinch roller.

I don't think the brake release is not working, because FF and RW are fine.
Old 11-22-2016, 06:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

In this Mitsu VCR, I see an arm that takes the tape to the pinch roller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHsAe9JxfhA

However, there is no such thing in mine. Even if I force the tape onto the guides, it doesn't even make it close to the pinch roller.
Old 11-22-2016, 06:59 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Sub-loading or half-loading arm is missing? Not good! It has to be there to work.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg mitsu-loadarm1.jpg (41.0 KB, 35 views)
Old 11-22-2016, 07:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

That is definitely not there. LOL.

When I got the deck, it still had a blue's clues tape loaded inside (albeit with the same loading path as now). Where could the arm have gone?
Audiokarma
Old 11-22-2016, 07:23 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Someone removed it? Or the post that it mounts on fell out? Is that post there? Sounds like you need a donor machine!

There is also supposed to be a plastic arm sector gear that rides along with the pinch lifter cam gear and actuates that sub-load arm. Those being plastic used to strip or break likely from insertion of a jammed tape.
Old 11-22-2016, 07:43 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Also if my memory is working right, pretty sure there's supposed to be a spring under that sub-load arm too, to make it go back to rest position and also to push up on it because there is supposed to be a small nylock nut on top to hold it and adjust the arm height when in Play or Reverse search for smooth tape travel no curling of the top or bottom of the tape.
Old 11-22-2016, 07:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

You got it, Ed. I found the arm, except it was permanently in loaded position. Once I broke it free, everything worked perfectly. The spring is probably weak. Good picture, and sound.

The only thing left is a very annoying squeak coming from the pinch roller (I think) when the tape plays.
Old 11-22-2016, 07:52 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

And with that last one I hit 1,000 posts. I usually don't notice milestones like that...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg vk-1000postsSm.jpg (47.5 KB, 33 views)
Old 11-22-2016, 07:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

Haha!
Audiokarma
Old 11-22-2016, 07:57 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Good going! You made it work!

It could well be seized from old grease. That spring is pretty lightweight.

Sonys were bad about the sub-load arm seizing on the shaft but not so much the Mitsu's.

Some of those Sonys would be so stuck and seized almost like the grease they used turned into JB Weld! I would take my soldering iron down on a low heat to warm the shaft and arm pivot to loosen it up to safely get it apart.
Old 02-02-2021, 12:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yesterday, I tried to feed in a tape, but the door wouldn't close all the way and the tape ejects.

I tried giving a little push when the tape was half in which seemed to make it accept the tape, but there was no picture or sound, and after ejection the tape got a little chewed up (brand new tape too).

If I insert the tape with a little force (I usually gently feed it in until the mechanism grabs it), the tape gets loaded and everything plays fine.

I installed a new belt back in 2016 and haven't had problems with moderate to low use since then. What would cause a mechanism to behave like this? How long do belts last in these mechanisms?