Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Television Broadcast Theory

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-05-2014, 02:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

All Analog cable will go the way of the dodo. Digital encoding and recompression of signals(so that they have almost VHS quality in some cases) allows the provider to throw more content down the pipe.
It happens faster in areas where people demand higher internet speeds or the cable company gets caught with their pants down by a fiber provider coming in and offering things like 1gbps internet and DVR's that can record 12 programs.

Just wait till the TWC/Comcast merger goes through. The decision to divest inter areas and sell them to other providers has already been planned.
Old 09-05-2014, 06:12 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I have been out of town a couple of days. Plopped down in front of Ye Olde Toob de Boob, tried running thru the channels, but Chortle's "Hokey Box" decided it was time to "Re-Initialise" itself, a process that takes up to 10 minutes. Damthing's been "Off" for nearly 3 days now, WHY does it HAVE to do that right when I want to watch it ?!? As annoying as the Sirius satellite radio on my wife's Touareg, it has to go thru the same blasted rigamarole if its been turned off for more than 5 minutes. Why does turning on or off ANY "Smart" device require more time than an old woman fixing to go to bed for the night ? Sheesh..
Old 09-06-2014, 12:10 PM
M is for Memory

Don't cha jus luv how SS gear has finally 'evolved' to the point that it takes twice+++ as long as tube gear to 'warmup'?.... If anyone asks me why I still watch a tube TV and not internet videos for entertainment I'll tell them 'cause my TVs warmup faster than your computer!'

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 09-06-2014, 06:06 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Don't cha jus luv how SS gear has finally 'evolved' to the point that it takes twice+++ as long as tube gear to 'warmup'?.... If anyone asks me why I still watch a tube TV and not internet videos for entertainment I'll tell them 'cause my TVs warmup faster than your computer!'
No Shit, Sherlock.. The computer was off for the same amount of time, & of course, IT had to go thru the old "Re-Initialise" rigamarole... Finding updates, populating Drivers, Picking its Nose, Scratching Its Arse..... What IS all the crap w/why all these Dee-Vices can't simply just "Turn on", all have to go thru a routine that would make starting a 747 up seem simple by comparison ?!? Jeez...