Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-22-2017, 10:30 PM
TheUniversalDave1

Zenith factory up in smoke...

Just thought I'd put this out there.

http://wgntv.com/2017/08/22/fire-off...-neighborhood/
Old 08-22-2017, 10:56 PM
Followin' the Rules...

'Tis a shame....

Doug Harland documented the plant and shared many a picture from outside and some from inside as well, but his pictures got left behind in the AK-VK move:

http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...1&postcount=32
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 08-22-2017, 11:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

Would love to see those pictures reposted. A shame the factory wasn't able to stay in operation and has turned into this. So weird to see the water tower with the Zenith logo on it still there.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:04 AM
Followin' the Rules...

Some history of the Dickens plant, courtesy of a member over on ARF:

http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/...30924#p2730924

Old 08-23-2017, 07:39 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Would be worth it, if you could go back in time & get to hear The Commander absolutely reading somebody the Riot Act.. I don't think he did that very often, but I'd bet it was a Doozy when he did...Reading between the lines a bit about him, I get the impression he DIDN'T suffer fools gladly...
Old 08-23-2017, 09:24 AM
M is for Memory

Truly a sad sight to behold....

I think some of doug's pics are at the end of this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aojvn852Kg They were gone from that thread by the time I joined VK so I don't know.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 08-23-2017, 10:57 AM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Truly a sad sight to behold....

I think some of doug's pics are at the end of this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aojvn852Kg They were gone from that thread by the time I joined VK so I don't know.
Doug actually walked around inside the plant a bit until he felt uncomfortable with stuff he saw and heard. I wish he'd repost his experience here in this thread.

He's one of many old guard folks that just don't visit much anymore - other interests have their attention, I hope.

Brain drain for sure - Doug's estate sale threads were legendary - you could almost recreate sets based on the gazillion detailed photos he took. He even took a photo of the house the sets came from - just to establish some context. I never had to ask a thing - it was all there.

Old 08-23-2017, 03:37 PM
Banned

Youtube Video of Zenith a Closing plant .

Youtube search title :

The Rise and Fall of the Zenith Radio Corporation, Chicago IL.
Old 08-23-2017, 04:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Neighbors say the building has been abandoned for abandoned for two decades
Uh, who's proof reading these things these days?
Old 08-23-2017, 04:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

Too bad.Part of TV history is now totally gone forever.
Audiokarma
Old 08-23-2017, 08:28 PM
Banned

I followed Doug (You tube drh 4683) occasionally in my Youtube feed and considered him "the" Zenith TV collector and a very remarkable enthusiast. I knew he was maybe not able to keep that huge collection and maybe the 60 Impala flat top or not but what ultimately happened to him something unfortunate ? ,no videos uploaded beyond 6 mo ago AFAIK

I thought the late 1930's -1940's Zenith radios and ofc trans oceanics and zenith strats were pretty remarkable broad market and (Zenith STRATS) remarkable limited products ,that is my very high regard for Zenith and I owned and repaired mine , a few of them (no strats ) many decades back in high school and secondary school when folks were giving all that away SRSLY . Never a large collection of anything here ,not my thing but fine for those that do .

TBH TV wise everybody knew US Zenith was among the best like RCA & Magnavox ,and some would say Zenith the best .I considered them 3 equals (my opinion) not a provocation . I had Magnavox and RCA but no noises against Zenith at all .

OTOH most fools didn't know that Zenith only hand wired and long as they did only because they were running broke but given the cheap crumbly PCB for TV's before epoxy PCB that was probably a tangible benefit
those things killed one of my decent picture RCA color TV and I bought a new nice ~@1982 maybe 26" epoxy board Magnavox light wood low boy console MTS stereo 2 side spkr TV but just a TV not a silly combo LOL !

Then Sony Schools them all BIG TIME and for me starting 1994 27" Trinitron and now like my new Samsung 4K HDR 1000 QDOT in the tomb here Samsung is often schooling everyone outside of OLED LOL

Last edited by broken probe; 08-23-2017 at 09:26 PM.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:31 PM
Administrator

If they can't save anything else they should at least restore and preserve ( and relocate?) the Water Tower.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralradio View Post
Too bad.Part of TV history is now totally gone forever.
up vote
Old 08-23-2017, 09:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
If they can't save anything else they should at least restore and preserve ( and relocate?) the Water Tower.
Considering we are being governed by idiots (all it ) and the private sector doesn't care about an old TV factory land mark good luck with that

FWIW far too much and far more significant priceless RCA recording archives and history was bulldozed into the Hudson river at Cambridge N.J far in excess and significance Historically of anthing Zenith BTW

Zenith's only significant History in academia and practically speaking is Zenith Radio and part of 2K HDTV invention and while significant and admirable it's not RCA history.

RCA had some Victrolas, stole Edwin Armstrong's low band FM & AM superheterodyne radio inventions & probably some farm boys electronic scan line TV concept aside what they bought from the Russian boffin (not Sarnoff he was just a white collar criminal who thought he was Marconi when he worked there before RCA and thought he was a USA pundit & maybe our vice president or chief electronics lobbyist & the FCC ) ,RCA came out with electronic never same color twice TV and they had Nipper and Elvis ,can't top that outside of the Edison and Steve jobs invention thefts or Elon Musk's vaporware outside of Space X

Last edited by broken probe; 08-23-2017 at 09:30 PM.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnx64 View Post
Uh, who's proof reading these things these days?
NYT and WA Compost Ivy league dummies who you think
Audiokarma