Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-27-2015, 05:00 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRX37 View Post
Can anything be done about the green halo?

Just wondering in case I find a set like this.

Edit: I know about removing faceplates from roundies. Are rectangular tubes similar?
There are two types of cataracts RCA (white/moldy), and Zenith (green) they affect both roundy and rectangular CRTs of the 60's-mid 70's. The type of CRT does not affect removal, but the type of cataract does. Zenith types require heating the glue in the sun (or heating the wire), and using guitar wire to cut through the old glue (followed by cleaning the goo off the separated glass), RCA type cataracts requires heat (sometimes with prying) or long term submersion in water (glue needs to be submerged 2 weeks to 6 months IIRC).

Search threads on this site to learn more.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 10-27-2015, 05:51 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I have a radio history book somewhere that has a picture of Paul Galvin in it. He bears-To ME, anyhow-a resemblance to Perry White-the 1950s "TV-Superman" version. You can just see him barking at some poor low-level schlub-"AND DON'T CALL ME "CHIEF !!" I dunno-He MIGHT have been a nice guy, who DIDN'T bark at his underlings, but MOST of 'em back then DID, I think..
Old 10-27-2015, 08:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
I have a radio history book somewhere that has a picture of Paul Galvin in it. He bears-To ME, anyhow-a resemblance to Perry White-the 1950s "TV-Superman" version. You can just see him barking at some poor low-level schlub-"AND DON'T CALL ME "CHIEF !!" I dunno-He MIGHT have been a nice guy, who DIDN'T bark at his underlings, but MOST of 'em back then DID, I think..
Paul Sr, passed a few years ago.
According to the article written about him, they stated that he treated his employees well enough, that the work force never had to unionize. That was unusual, as Chicago was a strong union town.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:07 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
According to the article written about him, they stated that he treated his employees well enough, that the work force never had to unionize. That was unusual, as Chicago was a strong union town.
Well, THAT'S Great ! He was STILL a kinda "No-Nonsense" looking guy.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:36 AM
VideoKarma Member

I too have read that he was a "calm, soft spoken man" and was highly respected by employees and was not arrogant. I believe his father, Paul was much the same way and had trust in engineers visions to lead the company. With support like that up at the top, it promotes a very positive atmosphere which trickles down and I believe that is why they were so successful as a leader in electronics. I went to an estate sale of a former Motorola engineer and in his papers, I found various notes and congratulatory letters written and signed by Bob Galvin. Those were neat to find and saved them.

As far as unionization at Motorola goes, I believe all hourly employees such as assembly workers in the chicago area were all under a branch of the IBEW. Salaried workers typically were not unionized, which was typical for most businesses.

Here's an article written about him in the washington post when he passed:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...dkL_story.html
Audiokarma
Old 10-28-2015, 01:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

Location: Valley of the Sun, formerly Silicon Valley, formerly Packer Land.
You sure have a way of finding great sets. The Chicago area seems to be rich with then, not to mention the fact it is the home of Moto and Admiral. Nice pristine looking set in the photos.

Went I went shopping for my first color set in 1966, one year out of high school, I considered the Moto "Works in a Drawer" set. It was a 1967 model available in Summer 1966. Really wanted it too. Alas, just to expensive for a young lad making a $1.25 an hour when starting out in 1965. Thankfully, with hard work, that salary increased to something respectable. I was your neighbor to the North, Milwaukee, but I don't think you were born back then?
Old 10-28-2015, 03:10 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Well, THAT'S Great ! He was STILL a kinda "No-Nonsense" looking guy.
Yup, appearances can be deceiving. I've been told that I'm "super friendly but can appear rigid".
Quote:
Originally Posted by drh4683 View Post
I too have read that he was a "calm, soft spoken man" and was highly respected by employees and was not arrogant.
In other words, he was no Steve Jobs. One guy I had classes with thinks he has to be ruthless to run a successful business. He wants to open a restaurant; considering their high failure rate, I think he's in for a rude surprise whenever he tries to implement his business strategy.

Last edited by Jon A.; 10-28-2015 at 03:14 PM.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh4683 View Post
I too have read that he was a "calm, soft spoken man" and was highly respected by employees and was not arrogant. I believe his father, Paul was much the same way and had trust in engineers visions to lead the company. With support like that up at the top, it promotes a very positive atmosphere which trickles down and I believe that is why they were so successful as a leader in electronics. I went to an estate sale of a former Motorola engineer and in his papers, I found various notes and congratulatory letters written and signed by Bob Galvin. Those were neat to find and saved them.

As far as unionization at Motorola goes, I believe all hourly employees such as assembly workers in the chicago area were all under a branch of the IBEW. Salaried workers typically were not unionized, which was typical for most businesses.

Here's an article written about him in the washington post when he passed:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...dkL_story.html
I really thought that Motorola was a union plant. I have a bad habit of just skimming the written word, instead of reading carefully.
I agree with Doug's response on this subject.
Old 10-28-2015, 09:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

wow
very nice
Old 10-29-2015, 10:11 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etype2 View Post
You sure have a way of finding great sets. The Chicago area seems to be rich with then, not to mention the fact it is the home of Moto and Admiral. Nice pristine looking set in the photos.

Went I went shopping for my first color set in 1966, one year out of high school, I considered the Moto "Works in a Drawer" set. It was a 1967 model available in Summer 1966. Really wanted it too. Alas, just to expensive for a young lad making a $1.25 an hour when starting out in 1965. Thankfully, with hard work, that salary increased to something respectable. I was your neighbor to the North, Milwaukee, but I don't think you were born back then?
When the "Works in a Drawer" set came out, my Motorola ETS908 was only two years old. I was originally looking for the less expensive table model, as the set I bought was $600, a lot of scratch for 1965. I'm glad it worked out that way, as the lower priced set, wasn't as good.
Regarding the statement, "not born yet", it's really great talking to all the young collectors. They're all so well informed about vintage electronics.
Audiokarma