Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > VideoKarma Classifieds

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-21-2016, 05:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

WTB: 21ZP4B, or compatable (e.g. 21ZP4A, 21YP4, etc.) CRT

Looking to purchase a replacement 21ZP4B picture tube, or anything that will substitute (so long as the dimensions are identical or close-ish) for my 1953 Admiral C2226Z.

The set is fitted with an electromagnetic focusing ring and control, but I can make the necessary mods for it to be compatible with an electrostatic focusing tube (like a 21YP4) if need be.

A strong or NOS tube is preferred as this will likely be more-or-less a "daily driver" set, but anything that produces a watchable picture in moderate lighting will do in the mean time.

Here's the corresponding restoration thread: http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=254810

I was new to vintage electronic restorations at the time and kinda bit off more than I could chew. But now that I've had some experience (with radios) I'm about ready to give the 'ole admiral another shot!

Thanks,
-Peter
Old 04-21-2016, 06:31 PM
Administrator

Where are you located?
Old 04-21-2016, 06:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

East Tennessee (live in Kingsport, go to school in Knoxville)
Old 04-21-2016, 06:38 PM
Administrator

I'm 90% sure I have a 21ZP4, if you know someone that can bring it to you from the ETF convention you can have it.
Old 04-21-2016, 06:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

hmmm...tempting...bit of a drive though xD

is it just a "21ZP4" (no 'a' or 'b' end letter)? If so, the data sheet says that version does not come with a "conductive outer coating". would not having it affect anything?
Audiokarma
Old 04-22-2016, 12:37 AM
M is for Memory

The coating is called aquadag, yes you need it as it filters the HV in most sets...But you can buy aquadag in a spray can and paint it on yourself (many tubes that have it need it refreshed when the original begins to peel off)....There is tons of info on that here if you search.

What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Reading between the scan lines since the mid 2000's.
Old 04-22-2016, 05:15 AM
Administrator

Now that you mention it, I don't believe this tube has a dag coating. It's at a friend's house, but I'm almost sure it doesn't.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

Sending this thread back up to the top.

I'm getting pretty desperate now X.x - Finally built up enough courage and tried re-welding the cathode on my non-working crt with no success :/

If you're in the New York area I may have a way to have it shipped to me via my uncle that lives in NYC who will be driving down south in a month or so.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:34 AM
Administrator

I'm in Buffalo. Friend of mine still has it.....he almost tossed it about a month ago thinking it was bad. I remembered someone needed one, but couldn't think of who it was.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post
I'm in Buffalo. Friend of mine still has it.....he almost tossed it about a month ago thinking it was bad. I remembered someone needed one, but couldn't think of who it was.
Good thing he didn't throw it out! I'll try and get in touch with my uncle and see if we can work something out.
Audiokarma
Old 03-31-2017, 10:52 AM
Workin' Late Again

There was one posted on the ARF classifieds a while ago and very near you, but it may have been recently spoken for. http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/...?f=15&t=318713
Old 03-31-2017, 11:29 AM
M is for Memory

I've got some spare 21" mono tubes. If you are still looking I can check numbers and see if I have one that will sub. Let me know.

What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Reading between the scan lines since the mid 2000's.
Old 04-04-2017, 03:12 AM
VideoKarma Member

What set do you have? I've been telling the story of my 56 Philco table model here for years, but it attracts little attention. Had it since I was 13 and I'm 48 now and it works unrestored! Several years ago the original CRT got good and dim and I thought it was the end of an era. The 21ZP4B or A were the only choices as replacements for that type focus setup. Long story short a member came up with a bright jug for me (I think Bgadow) and brought me several spare chassis and another complete set, but all are 21YP4 setups.

Great sets as everyday users. Super simple, lightweight chassis ya can yank in minutes! Not a lot going on underneath. Probably why they last and perform well. Not as cheap as a Muntz. Actually not cheaply made at all unless you're into DuMont Telesets from the 40s. LOL! Keep us posted on this and good luck! Post some pics!