Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-17-2017, 05:57 PM
TheUniversalDave1

I scored a 2013 Kirby vacuum today

Found this on Letgo a few days ago, went and picked it up today. I got it for only $50, which is about $1950 cheaper than what these go for new. It was totally filthy when I picked it up, but I gave it a total overhaul, and it turned out perfect. Polished it with my buffing wheel, my old Makita drill, and some Blue Magic.

Last edited by TUD1; 10-20-2017 at 11:05 AM.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:03 PM
Administrator

Sentria!! Very nice!!
Old 04-17-2017, 07:49 PM
TheUniversalDave1

Ahh, dear friend. Sentria II!
Old 04-17-2017, 08:53 PM
Administrator

Had a salesman come to my house and give a pitch just for grins. At the time I owned a G5. Told him that if he could demonstrate how the Sentria (other than looking sexay) was superior to my machine, he had a sale.

He was training someone who he had with him, and he soon figured out that I knew far more about Kirbys than he did. He went through the snake oil demo, and then I used his attachments on my machine to show that it did the same thing. He was pretty embarassed, but in the end the one thing that *I* pointed out that *he* didn't notice was that the Sentria did have a faster motor, by about 20% I'd say.

Still didn't buy it
Old 04-17-2017, 10:27 PM
TheUniversalDave1

Kirby has been using the exact same platform for 27 years now. The G3 was introduced in 1990, and they are still to this day manufacturing machines that are almost identical. They just added more improvements along the way.

Audiokarma
Old 04-17-2017, 11:29 PM
The Resident Brony

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUD1 View Post
Kirby has been using the exact same platform for 27 years now. The G3 was introduced in 1990, and they are still to this day manufacturing machines that are almost identical. They just added more improvements along the way.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Also, I see somebody likes vacuum cleaners... and toilets? O_o
I've got a 1930s vacuum cleaner that I've been meaning to overhaul. It still works though.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:56 PM
TheUniversalDave1

I did something really really really stupid today. I was inspecting one of my other lesser vacuums in close proximity to the Sentria II, and Old Man Murphy showed up. The lesser vacuum made a nice huge scratch right on the front of the Sentria II. I don't really see how it could possibly happen, let alone be as deep as it is. Makes me absolutely sick that this happened. I won't show it picture, it's just to disconcerting to look at.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:26 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
I did something really really really stupid today. I was inspecting one of my other lesser vacuums in close proximity to the Sentria II, and Old Man Murphy showed up. The lesser vacuum made a nice huge scratch right on the front of the Sentria II. I don't really see how it could possibly happen, let alone be as deep as it is. Makes me absolutely sick that this happened. I won't show it picture, it's just to disconcerting to look at.
You mentioned in a previous post that you removed a few scratches from another of your vacuums by using a buffing wheel. I would think that, unless the scratch on your Sentria II is very deep and/or long, you could buff it out the same way.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:52 AM
M is for Memory

I've had things like that happen to TVs in my collection...It is never a good day when that happens.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 04-20-2017, 07:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

Here's three re-furbed by Kirby, for $55 ea.
https://columbus.craigslist.org/hsh/6068823430.html

$2k new?

Chip
Audiokarma
Old 04-20-2017, 08:08 PM
TheUniversalDave1

I've heard of one guy paying $2800 for one. Those 518's are a good deal, IF the refurb was performed recently. Just 20 minutes ago, I finished a refurb of my own.

Old 04-21-2017, 06:00 AM
VideoKarma Member

Do you sell refurb units and/or do repair as a service?
Old 04-21-2017, 07:33 AM
TheUniversalDave1

All these are machines in my collection. I have done a few refurbs for money, but not as a business.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:21 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
All these are machines in my collection. I have done a few refurbs for money, but not as a business.

That's cool. If there's at least 2 of anything, there will be someone to collect it. 😀
Old 04-21-2017, 03:39 PM
TheUniversalDave1

Here's the scratch. It's so deep, I would highly doubt it can be buffed out. It would have to be sanded.

Audiokarma