Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-05-2010, 06:48 AM
VideoKarma Member

im having a VCR problem. whats this part called and where can i get one.

found this vcr today and it just blows my mind how cool this one looks..
it is a Quasar VH5856YE it has more features than anything else i have.

it keeps eating tapes. i cleaned everything.. than finally watched how it plays with the top open.. while playing the right wheel does not turn.. under further inspection there is a wheel that i think is supposed to rotate it. and the rubber on it is cracking and worn down. and it doesnt spin anymore.
i believe it needs replacement..

(the center white plastic wheel)

is it probably the cause?
where can i find one of those??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SANY1227.jpg (104.5 KB, 46 views)
Old 07-05-2010, 07:11 AM
VideoKarma Member

at the bottom right corner of that center wheel you can see the cracks where it is splitting..
as a quick fix, do you think putting a rubberband around that might work??
Old 07-05-2010, 08:16 AM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

You need to replace the rubber idler tire on the idler arm ass'y. You may have to take it apart and measure its thickness and diameter to match up to a new one. Not many parts sellers list idler tires by brand and model any more.

Here's a seller that does list rubber parts kits for your model.

http://www.studiosoundelectronics.com/mbk-07.htm

No affiliation. I do not know the quality of these parts.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:35 AM
blast, blast...

I know that transport is like thousands of the Panasonic-made transports out there. But I've only worked on one of this particular model. I replaced a head on it for a customer in the late 90's. Being as it's a HI-FI model it was worth it then. I've got to tell you I've been out of the VCR repair biz for 10 years so your photos are what will jog my memory.

Along about '86 or '87 Panasonic went with a gear on the idler (the idler is the part that swings back and forth) which met teeth on both the supply, and take-up reels. But, I think I gather from your description that there is a rubber tire in the idler (which meets with SMOOTH surfaces on both reels). So, the problem is most likely the rubber tire on the idler- I believe that's what you have described as having cracks.

You said you cleaned everything. Did you clean the idler tire? Try cleaning with rubbing alcohol. You can also try some rubber restorer. But those would DEFINITELY be 'quick fixes'. Hopefully, by cleaning the tire you can get the machine to run long enough to access any other problems and determine if its cost-effective for you to continue to spend money on it. After all you don't want to find later, for instance, that after spending $20 on belts/idler tire the HI-FI heads are shot and you only have a linear mono VCR. That would suck...

It would be best to replace the whole idler but they may be hard/impossible/expensive to find. I've been out of the biz so long I don't know what's available in parts anymore. MCM Electronics used to have all kinds of that stuff. But that was 10 years ago. I did just order some VCR and CD player belt kits from Studio Sound Electronics and was impressed with their selection of generic rubber belts. They may have a replacement rubber tire you can slip onto the idler. Then clean both reels at the point where the tire meets them with rubbing alcohol, and let dry. Don't get alcohol on the new tire.

Then, look further. If it's truly worth it to you to replace the belts/idler and as long as you're ordering, go ahead and replace any other belts. There maybe a belt on the cassette loading mechanism, as well as the capstan motor to the idler.

From that point, and this may be 'too much information' but, based on my history with mid 80's Panasonic-built VCR's there is a chance that capacitors are failing in the power supply, if they haven't already (and they probably have). And, being as it's a "switching-mode" power supply when one thing fails it has a tendancy to take out a whole bunch of other stuff making troubleshooting difficult. I would budget for a complete PS recap if you intend on being serious with this unit.

Good luck with your repair! Keep us posted!
Brian
Old 07-05-2010, 01:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

Wow! thanks for the Supurb Help guys! that part there looks exactially what is messed up in here.. i will order that. than inspect the caps in this unit. when that part arives, i will install it and give playing a tape a shot.. if it works great. i will replace the psu caps. heres a nice pic of it.. btw: there is also a pannel that opens up on top with more buttons and stuff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SANY1233.jpg (52.0 KB, 42 views)
Audiokarma
Old 07-09-2010, 07:02 AM
VideoKarma Member

That looks a bit like my favourite VCR mechanism, I think it's called the D deck (might be wrong on that) In Aus that mechanism appeared in National branded decks (we did not have Panasonic here as a brand name much then), models included the NV-280, 450, 470, 870, G10, G11, G16 and lots more.
What you need to replace is the idler, part number VXP0521, you could just get the tyre for this. I notice the shop over there studio sound electronics sells this, as an IW-2.
What they don't list is another idler which runs off this, it is a VXP0599 which if not replaced will cause a chew later on. Bit more dismantling for this but not too bad.
These are a really solid deck, while not as sophisticated as later decks they seem to last forever and here at least most parts can still be bought.
In this country these machines did not have a switch mode supply, but I have found that replacing the PS caps allowed the tuner to remember stations again and the display to not fade and blink lots.
Cheers
Tony
Old 07-09-2010, 05:31 PM
blast, blast...

Good information, Tony! That was a solid deck. Few problems other than rubber. I may have replaced a few more Panasonic-built heads than some others in my time but, all-in-all a reliable and reasonably "predictable" machine.

Heard of the National brand but little used here. I don't know my Panasonic numbers and letters as we weren't warranty authorized for them. I did all my Panasonic work out of warranty and for all the other brands that used Panasonic built units (RCA, GE, Magnavox, etc.) and bought generic parts.

No SMPS down there... Interesting... Pana was one of the first to start using them here- '83 maybe '84... Hitachi and others didn't start until some time later.

Was it the 'G' deck when they went one motor and about a million & six gears? Maybe a year or two after the OP's machine? I was just getting into VCR repair at that time and I remember learning and memorizing the routine for aligning THAT loading mechanism. We called it "the stripper"
Old 07-10-2010, 12:50 AM
VideoKarma Member

My parents bought one of the G decks, a Panasonic (National was gone by then) NV-G40. I was always amazed that it did everything off the one motor, was a huge burden on the clutch though, had to make sure that a genuine one was used. Later Panasonics, with the superdrive mechanism had more motors, interesting that!
The whole machine didn't miss a beat for the first 10 years, then a cascade of problems, dried up grease on the P5 loading arm, SMPS failure, clutch failure. It never stripped any gears though.
It had one of those bar code scanners for programming. This was one of Panasonic's more useless things, it was no easier to program with it, and only actually recorded what you wanted about 60% of the time, possibly due to missing info between the scanner and the machine when you transmitted the info.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:06 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony75 View Post
My parents bought one of the G decks, a Panasonic (National was gone by then) NV-G40..
It had one of those bar code scanners for programming. This was one of Panasonic's more useless things, it was no easier to program with it, and only actually recorded what you wanted about 60% of the time, possibly due to missing info between the scanner and the machine when you transmitted the info.
Panasonic had at least one model here in the US with that bar code scanner gizmo. I remember seeing one that came into the shop in its box with the accessories including the bar code scanner. As I recall it had a sheet that came with it with times and channels and the bar codes so you could scan and send the data to the VCR remotely.

Did they ever have "VCR Plus" there in Australia? Was another programming method where you entered in a series of 5 ( maybe 6? ) numbers that were published in the newspaper TV schedule to program your VCR for day and time just by entering in those numbers.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

We had a system called G-Code, probably the same thing. Some of the newspaper guides published these with the programs. Some VCRs had it built in, there was also an add on unit, which you left in front of the VCR.
Never used it as TV stations here don't keep to their schedule very well and start and finish shows late, one long running show might have a knock on effect for hours as they catch up. You could add time to G-code, but it was so much trouble that it was easier to use the built-in manufacturer's programming method.
My Dad always had to get out the instructions to program the Panasonic every time he wanted to record a show. The Panasonic was replaced with a Sony with on screen menu programming, supposed to be easier, he has given up trying to use it at all for recording.
Audiokarma