Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > VideoKarma Classifieds

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-02-2018, 09:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

that has cross my mind too , why do it this way make it difficult to buy anything, then post it was all was trashed , why even tell anyone about unless to get a reaction.
Old 01-02-2018, 09:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

He did give his text number in his 1st post. Anyone could have called. Nobody wants a huge pile of stuff they dont need or cant sell so away it went. Its too bad but its not much worse than portholes or color roundies being made into fish tanks and that happens daily.
Old 01-03-2018, 10:37 AM
VideoKarma Member

[QUOTE=bgadow;3194148]. There was an excellent article recently in the MAARC newsletter Radio Age which touched on the struggles the club has had disposing of the collections of various deceased hobbyists.

I looked for that article, but the website doesn't appear to be updated since 2013. Would you have it?
Old 01-03-2018, 04:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

Clearing out building

I recommend all hobbyists and collectors keep a formal inventory of things in the collection -- whether it's going all-out with a database, or keeping a spreadsheet-based list.

I've done this for my collections as well as parts inventories, and it is really handy to have, and it can be helpful when things need to be gotten rid of.
Old 01-21-2018, 12:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by user181 View Post
I recommend all hobbyists and collectors keep a formal inventory of things in the collection -- whether it's going all-out with a database, or keeping a spreadsheet-based list.

I've done this for my collections as well as parts inventories, and it is really handy to have, and it can be helpful when things need to be gotten rid of.
Or to see if you have something to fix something else in a new arrival.
Audiokarma
Old 01-21-2018, 01:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

We have an uncle who has this situation going on, except with car parts. He's 91 (still sharp, ex-IBM engineer) and he has 4 intact Model A Fords and at least 10 garages full of "A" parts, entire chassis, engines, frames, trim, you name it, enough to put together 8 or 10 more cars.... some used, some NOS, some parts already completely restored (like 10 restored steering columns, for example). The value has to be impressive. He does have computer inventory of most of it, but refuses to start dealing with disposing of any of it. Severe Depression Child Syndrome. The family, who knows next to nothing about old cars, will have to deal with it after he passes. One son-in-law threatens to rent a 20 yard dumpster and toss it all. What a waste! The responsible thing would be to plan ahead in advance enough to resolve it while one is able to.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

it all depends on how fast they want to sell the stuff , if all at once or peace at a time . im sure there is model a club out there that would love to help ,that's who i would talk to first, that way you're in the heart of eager buyers , plus you get an idea what those parts are selling for , a dumpster would be a horrible lose , even if i had to sell the parts for pennies on the dollar or even give the parts away before id consider a dumpster .
Old 01-21-2018, 09:51 PM
Workin' Late Again

I'm afraid as collectors we way over value the items that other folks ultimately end up dealing with in a very timely manner. I understand the dumpster situation because I was the only sibling willing to dig through my fathers tools, parts, and hobby collection after he passed. There's no practical way that all these wonderfully personal items can be kept and passed along from one generation of family to the next. Time is most often of essence and there's no way one individual can piece meal out someones lifetime collection without taking off work, and/or at least dedicating a good portion of their own lifetime to the effort. Please try to remember that we primarily collect this stuff because we personally enjoy having it around us, yet it's highly unlikely to be considered valuable to even those that care for and tolerate our collecting interests. I for one can appreciate that Gunslinger took the initiative to check for a local enthusiast, but as it turns out, we're spread too far and few between. It's not surprising that he had surplus parts left over from his heyday of television repair, and he did say his time was too limited to dispose of these items piece by piece. I'd even venture to guess he made a very good living fixing TV's and likely had no expectation of recovering whatever investment he had in those parts. Bottom line is that non of us had enough interest in such a large quantity of unknown parts. Selfishly we would have liked to cherry pick his shop contents, but that simply was not an option.

Last edited by Kevin Kuehn; 01-22-2018 at 08:34 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-21-2018, 09:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

drdave3, I'll see if I can scan that article for you.

Every time I see a roll-off dumpster next to a house I cringe. Okay, maybe they're just getting a new roof-or maybe...who knows what they tossed in there? I know of at least one case of a barn full of wood cabinet radios that became fodder for a bonfire.

I helped clean-out a Mom & Pop TV shop that had been around since the 60's. I spend countless Saturday's driving over there and loading up my truck, then sorting through stuff. Ebay & the forums saved some, some things I kept, while plenty of stuff got trashed. All the while they were trying to sell the place. Had it gone to closing in the middle of my efforts there would have been nothing I could do aside from maybe posting on here and begging for folks to come and load up.

About 25 years ago I paid several visits to a part-time TV repairman working out of a large 2 bay garage. The building (which would make a decent mechanic shop) was packed tight with sets. I haven't seen anything move around there in at least a decade, and I drive by there all the time. He may still have my number. Were he to call me tomorrow, letting me know the place had to be cleaned out in a few weeks, what would I do? How many of you would REALLY drive to this guy's place in East Bum Fiddle, DE prepared to load up?

Last edited by bgadow; 01-21-2018 at 10:05 PM. Reason: addition
Old 01-21-2018, 10:22 PM
Workin' Late Again

Quote:
Were he to call me tomorrow, letting me know the place had to be cleaned out in a few weeks, what would I do? How many of you would REALLY drive to this guy's place in East Bum Fiddle, DE prepared to load up?
You know you have time to dig through it all and take many pictures and post it all up here. Then offer to pack and ship items all over the continent. Possibly you could be so kind as to subsidize shipping, because you know most of it isn't going to be worth the cost in shipping.
Audiokarma
Old 01-22-2018, 10:18 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgadow View Post
drdave3, I'll see if I can scan that article for you.
Great! I look forward to it.
Old 02-09-2018, 01:27 PM
Larry Melton (oldtvman)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snelson903 View Post
im glad my wife and family know the value of my tools / machine tools /test equipment and parts are worth ,my sons and son in law will keep things just because its there hobby interest too ,i have metal turning lathes ,drill press , valve grinding machine /60 yrs between me and my dad worth of tools ,we worked for G.M. for many yrs , and i started my own auto and rv repair business in 1990 and had to retire for health reasons in 2009 ,i started collecting tv's and radios because i enjoy vacuum tube electronics, and iv have a good investment in test equipment and parts in this now , just hate to see good usable parts hit landfill for no reason i guess ,its best to plan what your family who don't know what things have costed you over the yrs, at least to know the value of it is so they can make a educated decision of what to do with it . just venting a little....
I'd go in with ya, to buy the lot, let me know

Larry