Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

Gray audograph

I have a Gray Audograph BID-5 dictation machine that I just finished restoring. I took photos of the three boards where the wires connect, but the photos are hard to see cause of the cheap quality of my old cellphone. I have no clue where a few wires went as it has been a few months since I had started on the restoration. Does anyone have pics of the inside of theirs or have a schematic? This one uses two 35C5 tubes in push pull. Not sure how much power output it has though.
AKAI GX 255 RTR
iPod & computer
DIY speakers (upgrading them soon)
Old 04-05-2011, 06:48 AM
VideoKarma Member

I initially was getting no B+ voltage and the tube fiilaments were not very bright (string fed by B+) so I puzzled over it for awhile then I remembered I had taken photos of the back. I looked and yes I had forgotten a jumper wire to the first filter cap from the rectifier after a resistor. I now got correct B+, but still no sound. I then found one of my 35C5 tubes lost its vacuum. Once I get the two 35C5 tubes in the mail I will power up via isolation transformer, feed an audio signal generator to where the cartridge connects and using my oscope I will see where the signal stops. Given the way the PC board is (point tom point wired with wire and component leads) it could be anything from a component lead touching, a wire broken, ETC...
AKAI GX 255 RTR
iPod & computer
DIY speakers (upgrading them soon)