Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-23-2006, 07:08 PM
Frenchy

Death of the tube TV

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,224019,00.html
Old 10-23-2006, 10:07 PM
...enjoys spaghetti.

Well at least they were honest enough to admit that crts Are still the "gold standard" For video reproduction... which brings to mind a question I would like to see answered by one of the people here who work in broadcasting... when will crts Disappear as studio monitors? also... you techs. What is the practical limit for deflection angle? what is the angle on those shallow newer sets? could you have 180 Degrees with modern processor technology? to me a Super slim crt Would be da cat's ass
Old 10-23-2006, 10:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

---

Last edited by andy; 12-07-2021 at 02:20 PM.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:18 PM
Frenchy

The Hitachi projection set I have has a super-keeno adjustment grid for the convergence where you can make the convergence perfect from edge to edge... the convergence is controlled by the electronics and not just statically set at the factory. Of course it also has auto convergence along with this and I assume it accomplishes this with sensors inside the screen, which a crt cannot accomodate. But I could see where this type of technology could be applied to a crt set to with the convergence being electronically 'dialed in' at the factory with a grid like this and not just adjustment rings on the tube itself. Or do they do that already, I don't know.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

The delta gun crt's and older GE inlines did have electronically controlled convergence (convergence coils)...this is why it is called dynamic convergence as it uses a changing electronic signal. I wonder why modern inline tubes did not use a convergence coil setup which could be controlled by more sophisticated electronics than the old convergence control boards?
Audiokarma
Old 10-24-2006, 09:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

I've recently seen some Philips CRTs with no magnets on the neck, only a coil connected to a small board with some surface mount ICs and a power IC on a heatsink. I've seen these CRTs in Toshiba TVs. I haven't researched how the alignment is done, but I suppose there is a memory somewhere storing data that decides what goes to the coil. This could allow alignment to be precise across the entire screen just like the digital convergence on projection TVs.

Anyone else remember the super-flat inline CRTs RCA used in the late 70s or early 80s? They had a CTC-eighty-something chassis I think. I remember the edge and corner focus being pretty bad.

It's sad to see the CRT fading away, especially when you consider how good it looks.
It's also sad to see the CRT fading away, when you're a guy who has spent the last 25 years keeping them running.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

---

Last edited by andy; 12-07-2021 at 02:20 PM.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

---

Last edited by andy; 12-07-2021 at 02:19 PM.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

Andy said:
Quote:
I think those Philips CRTs actually have the convergence magnets INSIDE the electron gun. They are adjusted by magnetizing them precisely when the CRT is manufactured. How many wires go to the coil on the neck? If it's only 2, it's for scan velocity modulation (edge enhancement).
It does have only 2 wires, but I don't think this is SVM; if you disconnect this coil, purity and convergence goes way off. The drive for it comes from the small circuit board mounted on the yoke. I don't see any connection to video for SVM.

Now I've got to go find out exactly how does it works.