Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-22-2009, 03:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

We're still all CRT here. Thankfully. Hehe.

About the degauss circuit: I find that the noise gets louder as the set ages. In fact, I think the degauss circuit is one of the most common failures in a crt set.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:54 PM
Banned

I never heard the CRT whine. But then again, my hearing isn't the greatest. (and I'm 23 LOL)
Old 04-22-2009, 04:15 PM
AK Member

Some come to say good bye to CRT's some say the flat panels are great.
HA! I am still watching a Sony KV27XBR with digital tuner and it works fine.
I work in radio and there are lots of reports that flat panel displays do not hold up very long especially if these monitors are left on for 24 hours. I have already had to repair LCD computer monitors little brother to the larger LCD TVs.
These are built poorly and generally made in China. How long do you think anything made in China is going to hold up? It's junk. You can have your flat panel and it is your money but I am sure that people will find out that all these LCD panels are really going to be nothing but a thing to replace at additional cost every two or three years. It's your money. The LED and OLED panels may be an improvement in picture quality but what if this expensive panel needs to be replaced inside or 3 years? To me it is junk. When are people who are suppose to be technologically enlightened going to get a clue.

Sam, a repairman for 36 years.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:32 PM
Mac and Roundie TV lover

When I was in high school I visited NBC, Burbank to watch them do the news from the control room. When I walked in there the whine was so loud and overpowering I almost felt ill. I asked if the sound bothered anyone in the room and no one could even hear it. Lucky for them. Couldn't wait to get the hell out of there...