Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > The Amateur Radio Spot

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:34 AM
VideoKarma Member

My new Transoceanic Model R-600

Wasn't sure to post in this catagory, or "Antique Radios" but had to show it off.
Instruction booklet intact, pristine condition, considering it's age.
Powered it up, Dial lights, tubes etc all glow. Hopefully something simple...hopefully it won't get bored as it waits its turn on the slow moving line to the workbench.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4894.jpg (73.4 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4893.jpg (96.8 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4892.jpg (77.8 KB, 60 views)
Old 09-20-2012, 12:54 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Nice score ! One of mine's like yours...Hope the 1L6 tube's good...Those are like hen's teeth...Only other thing I know it to BE CAREFUL around the rat's nest of wires behind the antenna...Those are apparently VERY fragile, will break if you even LOOK at 'em the wrong way, & booger yr radio up but good.
Old 02-07-2015, 02:02 AM
VideoKarma Member

I am going to set myself up with the ability to power these battery tube portables with and external DC power supply. By doing this you bypass the internal one and all of the age related problems they can have. I think the best way to do this is with a variable bench power supply. I an looking at one the does 0 to 100VDC, 12 amps. 12 amps is way more then I need for these tube portables but I can use this power supply to also power up some on my hamradio gear that requires more. If you are going to concentrate on tube type ZTO's then a rechargeable battery pack will do. You can build them yourself however they are a couple of people online that are producing them for a price cheaper then you could put one together yourself. Often times if you power up one of the ZTO with an external power supply they will at least make noise.

If you need tubes Surplus Sales of Nebraska has them all including the 1L6 $45 dollars. I received the tubes I need for an RCA-Victor Strato World radio I have just yesterday from them 1U4's and a 3V4. Be sure to replace the 50A1 with the solid state replacement. The SS replacement is a real voltage regulator and does a superior job of protecting and keeping the expensive 1L6 going properly. Be sure to bypass the selenium rectifier with a zener diode and dropping resistor. Use a Zener to protect from inrush which can blast the tube filaments, especially if you make the huge mistake or pulling a tube while the radio in under power.
Old 02-07-2015, 03:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

Very nice!

Thank you for the pictures.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

Very nice indeed! Congrats! Al
Audiokarma
Old 01-28-2016, 08:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

1L6 can be replaced with a solid-state substitute.
Old 10-02-2016, 10:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

I really hope those tubes aren't literally glowing. If you see any orange under normal conditions, you're burning those tubes. In normal operation, you should only be able to see the filaments by bringing the radio into a dark room for several minutes. Those filaments are about as thick as a hair.

Notice that unlike A.C. powered TV and radio, these radios start up in about a second and never get warm.