Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:09 AM
VideoKarma Member

Panasonic ds-555 svhs vcr

Hello to all....I have a ds-555 studio vcr thats scrambling video. Although the audio track is crystal clear, the video appears scrambled...I'm hoping its just
the front panel switch positions that aren't set right, and not a malfunction of the unit itself. I'm using the S-video output into an Electrograph plasma TV, so maybe its a compatibility issue? I hope its something simple, its an awesome
machine. Could any of you kind folks maybe shed some light on this for me, as I've never had a vcr quite like this before.

I've tried all the basic adjustments that I know of, but maybe I'm missing something.

Thanks in advance
Mike
Old 03-25-2013, 11:25 AM
VideoKarma Member

Just a wild guess, but you might try cleaning the heads.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:45 AM
VideoKarma Member

I believe I do have one of those special head cleaner tapes
hidden away somewhere....I'll give it a shot.
Thanks my friend.
Mike
Old 03-25-2013, 12:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

This deck should be easy to clean by taking the top cover off, and cleaning with lint-free cloths (texwipe, or the like) and wood-handled swabs, with denatured, anhydrous alcohol. I'm sure there's a youtube video of how to do it. Cleaning tapes are only for when you can't clean them the real way...

Just make very, very sure to clean the video heads (on the rotating scanner assembly) by rotating the drum slowly, by hand, and pressing the cloth gently against it. Never scrub up and down, or bye-bye heads. Hopefully the previous owner knew this.

Otherwise, check the various switch settings. I think this has an internal TBC, and if that is set to EXTernal reference only, and you don't supply a reference, then it'll look crazy. If it's set to INTernal or AUTOmatic selection, then it should work correctly.

Checking around for a manual would help, too...

Chip
Old 03-25-2013, 01:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hello Chip, thanks for he reply....had the cover off last night just to
to see if anything looked amiss, and all looked good, unmolested and clean
as a whistle....I appreciate the advice on the 'right way' to clean the heads,
it will be done that way.
I will definitely try to obtain a manual and if I do, I'll offer info/copies to anyone that may need it. Will go thru the various settings after work and
post any useful results.
In your opinion, would a microfibre type cloth be gentle enough for the heads...

Much appreciate your time.
Mike
Audiokarma
Old 03-26-2013, 01:16 AM
VideoKarma Member

Just a comment...you can't really "see" the dirt on a video head. A visual inspection of the insides won't tell you anything about the head assembly.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:47 AM
VideoKarma Member

I'm assuming this is a AG-DS555. Are the tapes you are trying to play recorded at EP speed? These editing VTRs only support SP speed playback. I would not be surprised if there is a fault somewhere in the unit causing video output problems. These units were used and abused and rarely serviced. They later get unloaded on auction sites for a fraction of the original price, but usually require a few hundred $$ worth of servicing and repairs to get into tip top shape.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:04 PM
The lead ear.

You did of course try to adjust the tracking, didn't you? Even newer VCRs sometimes let you do this, such as my Mitsubishi VCR, where you would push the channel up/down buttons while a movie was playing.